Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holding tank level indicator

NewbieRandR
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Winnebago Outlook

The level indicator panel in the MH indicates that the black tank is 2/3 full even after I have dumped. Is there a fuse or some other cause of this type of failure, or do I have to replace the tank gauges?

Thanks for any input.
12 REPLIES 12

ronfisherman
Dusty R wrote:
SeeLeveL Liquid Level Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd.
Check these out. Read out is in % not thirds.

Dusty

I have the SeeLevel system in my MH. Works great. But build up on tank wall can cause inaccurate reading. Had it happen one time. Ran tank washer to get back to proper readings. Is it worth the almost $200 cost. I would say yes.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
NewbieRandR wrote:
2008 Winnebago Outlook

The level indicator panel in the MH indicates that the black tank is 2/3 full even after I have dumped. Is there a fuse or some other cause of this type of failure, or do I have to replace the tank gauges?

Thanks for any input.
As others have posted, the tank level lights are not very reliable because of some "tp" still stuck to the side wall. Some have suggested soap and softener, they are refering to a practice called the Geo Method. We practice this faithfully and about 75% or more of the time have accurate readings.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
SeeLeveL Liquid Level Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd.
Check these out. Read out is in % not thirds.

Dusty

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Similar post......LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DAS26miles
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had the same issue many times after dumping my Class C Winnebago. It has always been the sensor area in the tank isn't clean. I purchased a tank wand and always give the tank a thorough flush/cleaning after every trip. It is hard to do that on the road, especially with others waiting to dump behind you. Note, if you let the tank dry out, it's much harder to clean it later. Pouring detergent or Calgon works too making the tank walls slippery.
Added note: I tried the back flushing method, but only the wand with a direct jet pointed at the sensors did the job.

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
You could also have a black water flush installed on your RV. A nozzle is installed into the black tank which is connected to a hose connection on the outside of your rig. then just connect a hose at the dump station and turn the water on. the nozzle inside the tank sprays water to clean the sides of the black tank. In addition, add detergent and Calgon the tank after emptying.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
actually the best result would be to fill the BW tank a few days before you leave home adding a couple of caps of low sudsing laundry detergent. this will allow time for any klingons to dissolve and the swishing action enroute to your destination will agitate the remainder off. Some people throw in 20 lbs of ice just before leaving to provide more cleaning action BUT I do not believe it helps with the tank almost full
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
The black tank gauge is almost impossible to keep working. Hardly anybody uses it, just dump every week or so and you will be fine.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
yeah newbie! I have also gave up on the tank sensors.

I have cleaned and sprayed the tanks.

now I use a flashlight down the toilet hole to gauge the black water.
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

NewbieRandR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I will give it try with the next dump.

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
Usual problem is some toilet paper still in contact with the sensor. No need to worry - very common problem. You can try flushing out the tank with more water next time you use the dump station.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
do a search. black and grey tank sensors seldom are error free.
bumpy