cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Holley 4 barrel carburetor problem

Britches
Explorer
Explorer
1988 Motorhome with 1987 Ford 460ci E-350 has Holley 4 barrel list # 50174. I can not find a parts diagram showing the mixture idle screws should be two in primary if I could have a part name and arrow showing where. Then maybe I could tune this darn thing so my motorhome would run properly. The electric choke should have 12 volts when ignition is turned on and 0 when ignition is off. I am not getting 12 volts. Any help with picture diagram would help me thanks
11 REPLIES 11

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
Problem with the Edlebrock Fuel Injection kit is I don't think it is approved in California for emission controls.

Bob
Good Sam Club Life Member

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours was a few years older, but as I try to recall, the choke housing had a heat tube down to the intake manifold. Again recall, but the intake had an exhaust crossover to heat the carburetor base, and the that heat tube worked off of it. THEN the Choke Cover (the black Bakelite piece with the thermostatic coil in it) incorporated a thermostatic switch. It would not start to pull the choke off till the engine was well on its way to warmed up. A carb specialty shop sold me a "fast choke" which had no thermostatic switch. Choke heater came on as soon as the engine was running. Living in the Sunny South, I didn't need all that warm-up process. The Air Intake also had thermo stuff. A "Stove" over the passenger side exhaust manifold, with tubing to a "box" between radiator support and air filter. Replaced all that with 4-inch flexible dryer vent tubing.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

dakdave
Explorer
Explorer
choke unit should have power to it with engine running.some are controlled by oil pressure,most get the voltage from a terminal on the altenator

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
This FTE Thread puts the idle adjustment screws in the carburetor base plate (throttle plate) behind metal plugs.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Related to navegator's comment - At least on ours, the carburetor sat on a thick gasket on top of an EGR Plate. The Plate sat on a thin gasket on top of the Intake Manifold itself. We all replace that thick "carb gasket" but that other gasket can burn through and be a vacuum leak under there. In our case, the thin gasket was shot, but part of the reason why was the plate had rusted tight to the mounting studs. When I tightened the stud nuts on top of the carb, I was crushing the thick gasket OK, but not the thin one.

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, this is not helpful, but...
Edelbrock makes a bolt-on throttle body fuel injection kit that will stop you from having to adjust idle mixture ever again. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
With time the carburators warp yust enough to let air be sucked in bewen the gaskets and throw off the mixture ratio, when I used to rebuild the carbs I would take a pane of window glass and place very fine emery cloth soaked in ATF and grind the the parts until there where no high spots, a few strokes is all it takes if you need more then the carb is junk, the other thing that I found will distort the carbs are over tigntening the covers for the air filters.

navegator

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Google is your friend:

linky

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Idle screws are on the metering block on the lower portion on each side.
Metering block is sandwiched between the main body and the bowl. (on the primary side)
Emissions requirements could have them sealed and covered.

No power to the choke heater will be an issue of rich mixture.

This pic shows no idle screws. ๐Ÿ˜ž

http://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp?Number=R50174

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ridgecrest huh? Hi Neighbor.

Can't help you with the Holley, I usually just order a new one when I have problems with them. Just got a new 750 double pumper for my 64 Fairlane.

Good luck finding diagram. Might try Jegs or other aftermarket auto parts places.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....