cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you answer when a stranger asks about MPG?

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
WARNING: This post is about fuel mileage and how to talk to strangers about it. Many folks get very, very angry when you mention fuel mileage on this forum. They feel as if you should never ever talk about fuel and RVs in the same conversation and anyone who does is committing a grave offense. If you are one of those people, please stop reading now and skip this post.

OK, back to my question. I get asked on a fairly frequent basis what kind of fuel mileage I get on my rig and I've never really had a good answer for that.

Technically, over the last 21,468 miles, I've averaged 5.97 MPG; but that really doesn't tell the story and feels misleading to me. Most folks want to compare fuel economy of their current daily driver to the fuel economy of a motorhome and the comparison makes no sense at all. We don't use these vehicles in the same way.

What does the question really mean anyway? Do they want to know what it would be if we were both driving next to each other side-by-side in a similar fashion? Or do they want to know how much fuel I consume over a period of time. Here's the real answer, "It all depends."

My mileage can range from 2.2 MPG driving up a mountain to 38 MPG coasting down a long slope. But it gets even more complicated than that. I use diesel fuel to power my generator, heat my water and even to pull my toad. Where does that factor in? Here's what I've estimated:

At a low altitude (denser air)
On a cool day (denser air)
On a flat highway
With no wind
Not towing a truck, running the generator or heating water
Driving at around 60 MPH
With my tires properly inflated and all maintenance performed

I'll get around 9 MPG. That's the better answer, but it takes a while to explain that, and I don't always know what the other person is looking for when they ask me the question. How do you handle it?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
121 REPLIES 121

VCBandit
Explorer
Explorer
I tell them I calculate my mileage on average every time I get passed by a Prius. 10 for me 50 for the Prius total of 60 divided by 2 averages 30mpg each!
Terry and Kim Streit
2002 Itasca Horizon (El Gordo)
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Paco)
Life is Good

rhagen1957
Explorer
Explorer
Stranger: What do ya get for mileage?
Me (gassing up a 35' gasser with a trailer behind) : We average about 25
Stranger (incredulously):REALLY?
Me: Well, the Prius on the trailer gets about 40, the RV about 9, so the average is close to 25
Stranger (walking away) Smart Ass!
๐Ÿ™‚

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You can zero out MPG numbers.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
I just answer honestly. I love people who say they get 20 MPG towing but formulas for diesel fuel Lb/Hp tell the real story and after running Class 8 trucks over 3 million miles I can tell you a Peterbilt with a 500 Hp CAT, loaded from Balt-SEA-BALT over 425,000 miles including empty miles averages 6.5 Westbound and 7.1 eastbound. This is because the winds across the US are either from the SW or North a good part of the time and you climb from 900 ft to 8700 ft in WY.

Our recent purchase here says that it averages 6.1 and don't know if that's since it was born or what. During our 3 mons of ownership, we only run 55mph on average, so I would expect a little more. Not that it's very significant over the cost of ownership and it's already depreciated some. Just a good thing, I didn't buy it new....Holy Moly!
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I just answer honestly. I love people who say they get 20 MPG towing but formulas for diesel fuel Lb/Hp tell the real story and after running Class 8 trucks over 3 million miles I can tell you a Peterbilt with a 500 Hp CAT, loaded from Balt-SEA-BALT over 425,000 miles including empty miles averages 6.5 Westbound and 7.1 eastbound. This is because the winds across the US are either from the SW or North a good part of the time and you climb from 900 ft to 8700 ft in WY.

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
I tell them when I am off to Florida, I get 7 mpg with my coach and 500 mpg with my car.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
'en Plain Air' wrote:
I think our global 'impact' is less than using planes, trains, buses, rental cars, restaurants and hotels.

I think you think incorrectly.
bumpy

_en_Plain_Air_
Explorer
Explorer
We answer the question honestly AND add our thinking about why it doesn't matter. There is no public transportation to go from point A to B to C to D ...etc, we don't need hotels, restaurants etc. I think our global 'impact' is less than using planes, trains, busses, rental cars, restaurants and hotels.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I tell them I have no idea, but the car attached behind it goes from NY to FL on zero gallons. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Well, not really zero and you can't really pull it for nothing. Still not bad, as most only make a difference of .5, as long as you keep your speed down.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tell them I have no idea, but the car attached behind it goes from NY to FL on zero gallons. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Klbc wrote:
I just say I have no idea and don't care to figure it out.
Same as I get, like that way, make more money.
So big a world, so little time to see.

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
I very seldom check mine. My pat answer to the question is "I didn't buy it
for gas mileage--it's our home!

MrWizard
I sometimes tell people i get "Ten Smiles Per Mile"
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
gemert wrote:
Sfla2 wrote:
worried abt mpg ------buy a different toy, hobby
This is what he meant by "anger."
Yes, exactly. These are often the types of comments anyone will get when posting about fuel economy. I truly don't understand why we get so many of these when this subject comes up.

Can't someone be genuinely interested in fuel economy, efficiencies saving money or budgeting without being "worried" about it? Believe it or not, some people are intellectually curious and like to understand the world. It's not that they are worried or can't afford fuel.

Comments that dismiss the question are conversation killers. They don't add much to our collective wisdom.

I have to agree with you on this one. Most people who ask are simply trying to satisfy their curiosity. Yes, you might sometimes encounter a "greenie" who will want to turn it on you somehow, but the fact is, almost everyone you encounter is simply wondering what it does in comparison to what they have. Sad part is, most people nowdays, have no real idea what their vehicle get for mpg, and would not know how to figure it out if they even wanted to.

I started tracking MPG in 2011 when I bought a car that was difficult to consistently fill, and the MPG variations fluctuated wildly. I took all of the receipts since I bought it (from my shoe box filing system) and as they had odo readings written on them, I started a spreadsheet. Now the spreadsheet has tabs for not only the car, but also the old Ranger, and the motor home too. I can pinpoint the switch from summer to winter fuel, and back, by the changes in mpg, and can tell you what brands do best and worst.

I am doing a pretty consistent mid 17 mpg on the Sprinter based MH I have, over the couple of thousand miles I have driven it.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.