cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you keep mice out of MH

Bob1947
Explorer
Explorer
I have outside storage for my class A. I hve had evidence of mice in the MH nd with traps I have caught several.
My RV center advertises a sprpay treatment which they claim will keep mice oput. Is this any good? Any ideas on this problem. So far no problems with wiring.
27 REPLIES 27

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I use three things and between the three of them, it works (let's hope I don't jinx myself..

1. Bounce sheets

2. Peppermint Oil

3. Feed the neighbor's cat and she makes our home a 2nd home..part time

Stalker certainly earns her keep around here.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
Its simple, Get A Cat. Been fulltiming all over the country for 4yrs now. I saw a cat once, about the same time the cat did. Never saw that mouse, or any mouse again.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We finally used sticky traps and decon

We had a mouse problem in our motor home and put out some sticky traps but here are some other ideas that are very interesting for home and travel.

Function
Imagine you're a mouse and you want to stay alive. You certainly wouldn't go to an area that you knew contained some of your most fierce predators. That's the logic that some of the natural mouse repellent' s use for their formulas. There are formulas that contain fox and bobcat urine. Urination is one way that the predators mark their territory. Mice definitely don't want to go near that area. There is a problem with the use of these products. They smell bad for people too. These must be used outside the house so new mice won't enter. Some products are specifically for the home, so they don't give off horrendous odors.
Identification
Tabasco sauce mixed with a gallon of water and sprayed around keeps mice away. They evidently don't care for the scent of cayenne pepper either and if you sprinkle some in oil and mix it thoroughly and then put a cotton ball in the oil and place them in locations where you have mice problems, the mice stay away.
Types
Mix up some peppermint and spearmint and you'll have a sweet smell that mice don't like. Even though the scent is pleasant, many natural mouse repellents use these two scents together to repel mice. This sounds a lot better than animal urine for the house. Make sure you use the true oil of peppermint or spearmint, not an extract.
Effects
Get a box of whole cloves and soak them in oil. Use the oil on pieces of cotton to place in areas that the mice frequent. The strength of the clove scent is the important factor so if you already have clove oil at home, uses it instead.
Considerations
Pour small containers of ammonia and leave them in areas where you have problems with the little critters. The logic here is that mice aren't fond of anything that smells remotely like urine and ammonia does the trick.
Misconceptions
Replace the Bounce fabric sheets often if you try them and use several scents. Mice don't like unusual smells and some find that the Bounce fabric softeners work for a short period until the mouse gets used to the scent. The problem is that you have to keep changing the sheets, both because they become accustomed to the odor and because the scent fades. These aren't as effective as other methods, but smell nice.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_4621300_what-scent-repels-mice.html#ixzz2jJnlcJrl
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

moon_lake
Explorer
Explorer
I know lots of people recommend cabfresh, we bought it, and found fresh
mouse poo all around it! I placed bounce fabric softener sheets all over
in every drawer, cupboard, the dash, glovebox, etc. So far so good, I'll
let you know in the spring if it kept working! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
we full time
our "jack russel" makes sure there are NO Critters in the RV

What do they do in their spare time? :B
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

MrWizard
we full time
our "jack russel" makes sure there are NO Critters in the RV
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
I took a 10 foot by 48 inch piece of sheet metal and cut four 12 inch wide pieces out of it to make a rectangular boxes to put around the wheels. Used four 90 degree bends in it to form a rectangle of the proper sizes. Around the front suspension I had to trim it down from 12 inches a couple places for a fit. The extra length gives me lots of overlap to of the two ends to clamp with a small clamp.

For the jacks, I just use 12 inch metal flashing off a roll to form a circle around each jack. Those are tricky to get a seal at the bottom if you are using boards under the jacks - unless you plan ahead.

For those who say seal all the holes going inside the rig, what about those nice rubber hoses on top the gas tank? And those plastic air lines for the air bag suspension (which I have on the rear)?
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
I keep the TT plugged in to shore power all the time. I have several ultrasonic pest repellant plug ins in the camper(the ones that plug into an electric outlet). Also have a cat that likes to hang out under the TT when he is outside.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Although this was written for structures it easily adaptable RV. The principles are the same.
This article was written by a well recognized authority on pests:

University Of Florida
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck with mothballs keeping rodents out of a boat and TT.

Of course, one requirement is to not keep food in the trailer.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

donhoward49
Explorer
Explorer
The product that Midnite mentioned is Cab Fresh.. I bought it at Ace hardware.. Developed to keep mice out of farm equipment..

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you have pets and or allergies stay away from off the shelf sprays.

Peppermint Oil does work. Has to be 100% PURE oil. Pricey but works.
IMHO it's more prudent to find out HOW they are getting in.

What I found was that when MH's are built there are a lot of exposed over sized holes where they run wires pipe etc. They are small and hard to see but they are big enough for mice to squeeze thru.

Go out at night and turn the lights on in your MH and crawl underneath. You will be 'shocked' at how many places you will see light seeping thru. Use the insulating spray called 'Stuff' to seal the openings.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
two things mice don,t like peppermint oil. and a product called cab clean .farmers use this in the combine and tractor cabs. you can get both off ebay , I use them in two rv,s and three boats no mice. I never heard of a spray. oon google you could check mice control.