cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast should one drive a "C"?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Texas, the speed limit on 130 from Austin to I-10 is 85, and around Austin on 130, it is 80. Assuming properly rated tires, how fast should one take a "C" on roads like that, in general?

I think Sprinter based chassis models top out at 75-80, while Fords go up to 95, but there is a lot of difference between what the speed governor says a vehicle can do versus what it can do safely.
59 REPLIES 59

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
We shoot for 63, faster if we need to pass someone of course, but for stopping distance and fuel economy our sweet spot is under 65.

I try to abide by the 3 second rule then add some padding. I just wish all of the hotty little sports cars that cut into that space would understand large vehicles and the stopping distance needed. That window of space isn't there for their convenience!
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sweet spot for my RV is 62 mph. Faster uses too much gasoline. Slower has it downshifting on every little rise, again, using too much gasoline.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

Suddenly I noticed a sign that said something like "Caution - Roadwork". Way at the last minute my eyes figured out that the sign had been set up only about 15 feet from where the road was no more. I put the Mustang into a four point full-on skid and managed to stop about 5 feet from the two foot dropoff onto rough earth where the complete surface of the road had been removed.

I shudder to think what would have happened in a motorhome in an unexpected emergency like this .... maybe a roll-over?

You can't play the odds regarding what humans may or may not do, or with the laws of physics. Slow as you go is the name of the game in a motorhome. To do otherwise is ludicrous, IMHO.

I was riding my motorcycle at night down I-5 south of Shasta, CA when after rounding a mountain bend there was a single police cruiser (apparently the first to arrive). I had just enough time to slow down to see him frantically waving his flashlight at me, trying to point me to what was on the highway: a half dozen or so cars that had fallen off a car carrier that had overturned, in complete darkness, some overturned. On the bike it was like navigating an obstacle course to avoid those cars. That police officer had passed me just minutes before. I shudder to think what might have happened had I got there first.

You never know what might be out there. I drove 55-60 in my class C and just 55 with my TT.

Michael

JNorton
Explorer
Explorer
I normally drive 62 to 65 mph. In Michigan 70 mph is the maximum allowed speed. If I was on a highway where the maximum was 85 mph there is no way I'm going to feel comfortable with a 20 mph speed differential either I'm going to speed up or find an alternate route. As others have said its all about stopping distance. I'm not in a hurry so I'd find an alternate route. 14,000 pounds takes a long time to stop.
2008 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31W E450 V10

AndyW
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on road, traffic, and weather conditions. Slower than I would drive a car in similar circumstances for sure.

I have no problems with 70+ on a clear interstate. Slower in traffic or on bad roads. Much slower in a cross wind. On two-lane roads I can pretty much always go the speed limit. On four+ lane roads, I at least keep up with the 'slow lane'. The only time I've ever really felt I was impeding traffic was in narrow construction zones.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
rockhillmanor wrote:
First of all what type of RV do you have that has a governor on it?
Rental trucks do, but I have not heard of them installed on a personal vehicle.

Virtually every vehicle built in the "computer age" has its speed governed electronically. My VW Passat for example is governed to about 115 mph, although it certainly has the power to go faster. I wouldn't know because I haven't driven faster than 80 in probably 20 years. 🙂
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
65 in my Itasca is comfortable. When the big rigs pass they tend to suck you towards them a little and at 70 it gets weird, at 75 I felt uncomfortable. I have driven

anything and everything you see on the interstates at one time or another. Set the cruise, sip a nice cup of green tea with honey and enjoy yourself. I was chasing my

BIL down I-5 last night in his diesel pusher and just gave up. He was home half hour before me....NBD

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The above last few posts reminded me of something the DW and myself experienced decades ago in Montana:

We were driving harmlessly along in our Mustang at about 50 MPH or less on a two-lane road out in the beautiful summer Montana countryside.

Suddenly I noticed a sign that said something like "Caution - Roadwork". Way at the last minute my eyes figured out that the sign had been set up only about 15 feet from where the road was no more. I put the Mustang into a four point full-on skid and managed to stop about 5 feet from the two foot dropoff onto rough earth where the complete surface of the road had been removed.

I shudder to think what would have happened in a motorhome in an unexpected emergency like this .... maybe a roll-over?

You can't play the odds regarding what humans may or may not do, or with the laws of physics. Slow as you go is the name of the game in a motorhome. To do otherwise is ludicrous, IMHO.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I just read where AAA recommends a 4 second rule or more, for following distance in a car on good, dry pavement. On a MH ????
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
I answered this before and said 60 period, and that is what I mean but let me say this. In the 2014 Mercedes 80-95MPH, then back in the 1970's the fastest ticket was for 140-MPH, because the cars are/were built for it and my reactions were a lot faster, now with the size, weight and all of the Class C 32' MH... 60 is good.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
It's not ever how fast it will go..or how fast you can drive it. It is always about can you get it stopped in time. C's have very different braking characteristics from cars or pick-ups. They don't stop on a dime. If you do have to do an emergency stop, you have all that trash inside that is suddenly flying forward and that makes a driver back-off a bit...

I'd say this to you or anyone...drive the 2 second rule and adjust to 3 as needed.

Obviously, I didn't read all the replies before typing this one. Sorry folks..it is one of my 'hot buttons'..could not help myself.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I find that I'm most comfortable in my 32 1/2' C at around 60ish. My previous 22' and 24' Cs I would normally drive around 65ish. The longer MH has no problem doing 65-70, but it just seems too fast to me. Aside from whatever difference there might be in mpg (probably negligible), I think that 60 or so, is also less wear and tear on everything, and just a safer speed to run at with such a large vehicle.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
You can drive the unit as fast as it will go.

All you have to remember is!

The higher the speed the longer the stopping distance.

Your reaction time 2 to 3 seconds will be OK provided you are paying attention to what is happening up ahead, if you need to take evasive action or slow down the distance between you reacting and the problem is a lot shorter.

RV's tend to be top heavy, with all the junk that is packed on the upper cabinets they are not the most stable, high speed and some good gusts of wind your ability to keep control will be challenged.

Just remember speed kills, if you have a family, I do not mind if you kill them, they are after all your family, it is all the other innocent persons that are important.

When EMT's and Fire-Rescue roll to a freeway accident they always hope that there
are no small children involved, it is the most heart braking site to see a child that is injured or worst DOA.

navegator

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
I drive 60mph. Period. I don't care if the road is empty and I can really get after it or not. There is a lot of weight in these things, probably loaded in a unsymmetrical way. 60 is all I'll do; sometimes I'll look down and see I inched up to 65 - if that's the case its back down to 60.

I figure if I was in a hurry I wouldn't be driving a motorhome to get there. I also find I have far less aggravation when I drive 60 and just stay in the right lane.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
If its a straight c you will be better off at 65 if it a B+ it is a little more aerodynamic and will handle the wind better IMO. We have a B+ and it cruises just fine at 70 and we have had it up to 75 for some straight periods. Mileage is subjective, I run a 5 star tuner and average about 9 and on straight and level can get 10 (neb, colo, kansas). We tried the 60 and 65 and found mileage did not improve enough to drive that slow when on interstates. Yours will vary but like I said we have a B+ and do not have the big overcab sail to deal with!