cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
But tim ...with E85 fuel only ....you should increase compression ratio by 2 points or so. I do not understand how the auto companies can build these vehicles and call them "flex".

What are you using for an intake manifold?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
MaserBoondocker> My best mileage with stock or upgraded carb was 6-7 mpg and vapor lock problems, because of our heat here in Vegas, the Holley TBI 2D 670 cfm fuel injection system has been the best thing I have done for my RV, starts better, runs smooth, good performance, no more vapor lock problems, can adjust fuel flow at dash for high elevation or E-85 fuel, I mounted my tbi controller at dash so I can easily adjust on the fly, my new gas mileage at 8-9 mpg is real and can get 9-1/2 at 55 with stock gears and 3 speed automatic, also you do not need to rebuild motor for E-85, only need to redo gas line for ethanol, change fuel filter after 600 miles of E-85 use, increase fuel flow a little and advance timing about 4 degrees with stock pistons, my rpm is 3000 at 60 mph, and I plan on installing a fuel ratio gage some day but have had no need as of yet, and cost was around $1000.00, tbi cost $800.00 at checker auto they have the best price and you can buy from there web site also, you will need additional parts but depends on your vehicle that is being installed on and a return fuel line if it does not have one, changing pistons, cams, gears, and other internal parts don't always increase gas mileage, better fuel/air ratio management is the answer, and a over drive would also help, hope this helps, check my profile pic, my RV was made by the same first maker of the travco motorhomes, [Ray Frank]...

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Yo tim ...sorry I missed this.

That mpg of yours .... jump to 8-9? ...from what? ... and was that a TQ? Do you have a A/F gauge on it? .... you planning to build a E85 motor? What is your rpm at 55mph?

That Holley TBI ? ... did you try FLOGGING the other carb first? BTW .. I had a Travco Class C a couple of years ago.

Have you ever had any front rubber brake line issues?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
MasterBoondocker> 440 motor, holley TBI 2D Fuel Injection, can use E-85[ethanol] or unleaded gas or any mix, straight flow thru muffler, cold air inject tube for TBI, every thing else is stock and fuel mileage jump to 8-9 mpg,[9 1/2 mpg at 55 mph] runs smooth, starts easy like a new fuel injected motor, has lots of spare power, check my pic on profile..........

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
So ...... how many 413 or 440ers out there ? ... anyone do any experimentations with camshafts, fuel delivery and exhaust systems?

How about a MAJOR rear end gear change?

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful help UnionGuy. Thanks for the links.

Sad Time of the year. I hate buying the pink juice (antifreeze). I think of it as Nyquil for the RV. :Z

Wow. Did the air suspension make a difference in ride and stability when on a site. A couple times we did not use the stabilizer jack stands.:)
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie
1976 Dodge Sportsman Midas Mini 226

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks thought I would share these web sites with all. I recently bought a electronic ignition Suburban furnace on e-bay to replace the pilot ingnition in the old girl. Couldn't get the new furnace to light and needless to say the dealers around here wanted me to bring it in for diagnostics @ $54.00 per hour labor. One good thing about finding this site was I also corrected the backfiring problem in the original furnace. So now I can put the old one back in with no mods.

Hope this helps someone else as much as it did me!!!!

Here is the Service Manual:

http://www.dudesrv.com/pdfs/SuburbanServiceManual.pdf

Here is the Tech Manual:

http://www.dudesrv.com/pdfs/SuburbanTechManual.pdf

Sorry about all the edits, couldn't get the URL to work, I think it will now.

Mike
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a Dodge 1980 Mobile Traveler for 3500.00 42,000 actual miles. Great shape with 360 eng. new tires. Needs new gas valve on furnace.. Old fridge works great on 110 and propane. Now if I can only stop the roof leaks. But then I hear they are famous for leaks and dry rot. Oh well I'll enjoy it while I can. Off to the store for some Kool Seal !
Don
If it aint broke fix it till it is

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Has any body installed leaf spring helpers on there old dodge rv, my 79 dodge class c springs sag and need a lift, how ever the room between leaf spring and floor/braces to rv is very little and I cant see if I will be able to fit a hellwig helper in this tight spot, has any one done so and what brand of helper did you use...

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
Hey new rver, its sounds like the thermocouple could be bad. Does your unit have a blower on it or just a convection type furnace? With the thermostat turned on in a forced air unit the blower should come on. This may or may not affect your pilot sensor relay, I do know however if the blower relay does not sense the blower on it will not let the main burner light. More than likely I would go with a new thermocouple, if it turnes out to be more serious you only got about $5 into it and some labor.
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

The suburban furnace won't allow the pilot to stay lit. I have never used the unit and we are on the road and looking at cool nights in a boondocking situation.

I suspect a thermocouple issue but maybe I'm overlooking something simple.

• ckecked main valve for open
  • checked hand valve for open
  • thermostat is at lowest but not off
  • pilot stays lit only when holding in the reset

Your input will be warmly appreciated;)
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie
1976 Dodge Sportsman Midas Mini 226

ksmoscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info on the recore. I will be taking it to Ed's tomorrow!

Thanks again

Gregg

Sound_Choice
Explorer
Explorer
To ksmoscanner:
Hey Gregg...Take the radiator to Ed's Radiator about 81st and prospect (Mo side) they did my recore few years back and did a good job. Make sure they replace the internal baffle that distributes the water across the top of the radiator. Good luck on your Rv rebuild. I'm still working on mine and loving it (1974 Cobra Dodge MB-400 chasis, 440-3 engine, 26').
Kc
"...bases are loaded and Kc's at bat...
taking it play by play!"
Kc & Barb
'74 Cobra Dodge 440(on the mend)

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Ksmoscanner > I had same problem trying to find a new radiator for my 79 dodge rv with both connections on same side, so I took it to a radiator shop and had them put in a new core and not just any core a 4 core super cooler, this would be the best way to go so all bolts will line back up at install..

ksmoscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replaced a radiator on a '78 MB400 style MH? I cant seem to find one that has both the connections on the right hand side. This is my last item I need before I can make anymore progress on the rebuild. Seems the bearings in the water pump went out and somehow the fan contacted the radiator and put a circular cut in the core. Have been told it was unrepairable and will need a new radiator. Any info what I could use would be very appreciated. Can a radiator this old be fixed?

1978 Dodge MB400 440-3
VIN F44CD7V052503

Thanks,

Gregg in Kansas City