cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Chancellor
Explorer
Explorer
Do I qualify 2006 Winnebago View on Dodge Sprinter Frame and cab? Mercedes Engine and drive train though....But it has the Dodge emblem and name on it. Thanks
Chancellor of The Klingon Empire
My Lovely wife{The boss}
and PJ our dog that thinks he's human!

RobinHoodRV
Explorer
Explorer
jamilin wrote:
Can I be here even though Ours is a 1978 Chevy Eldorado, not a Dodge, Like I previously stated?

Welcome aboard.

My first MH was built on a Chevy chassis. It was a 1977 23' Country Camper with a 400 small block. It was pretty gutless but it always got me where I was going.

I now have a 1978 23' Robinhood on a Dodge chassis with a 440 big block. Plenty of power and I get about one MPG more than the Chevy.

You're right about them being similar. In fact the layout of my Dodge is almost exactly the same as the Chevy. I think they even used the same orange carpeting and avocado materials. Of course the drivetrain and chassis info will be different.
-jc

78 Robinhood 23' Class C
97 Geo Tracker Convertible 4x4
87 Jeep Comanche Chief 4x4

IdahoJamboree
Explorer
Explorer
Don,

Thanks for the ideas on exhaust system. I agree, I think I will stay with stock setup. The P.O installed a newer tail pipe and muffler on it before I purchased it. I don't plan on pushing it past 60-65 mph and I think that helps more than a lot of things with keeping the heat down in the exhaust system and the mileage up. I am at the age where I want less noise, not more! It has 45,000 miles on it and seems to have had pretty good care.

In years past I have had campers and trailers so this is my first motor-home. We do not go far but we do like to go with the family and grand kids.

Norm

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
jamilin wrote:
"Ok so the WhiteKnight has spoken!"

That's amazing! Y'mean that old hippy actually WOKE UP?!? lol I thought I felt the ground shake... wait a minit... that was the washer...spin cycle!

"Well when I got our Eldorado, it was in great interior condition, but as anything that is 30 years old, it was starting to really show wear. The color scheme was very on, with the orange shag carpet, and the Orange brillo pad seats."

Yep. Stepping through the door of the Kobay the first time, it was like
having an acid flashback while fully conscious and awake, with the song "In-a-Gadda-da-vida" by Iron Butterfly in the background- heavy, man!

"The only expertise that I can offer this thread was the "Make it pretty for cheap" section."

Mmmm hmmmm. I can dig that!

"Unfortunately, I think that is the easiest part, but here it goes. First I have to clarify that I come form the school of Redneck with "Style". What that basically means, is if you can get it for free, or near, you get creative, and make it work."

Dig part two!

"Once We ripped out the carpet, we were looking for a long wear, easy to do ourselves option, other than vinyl. The solution. Industrial carpet tiles! We have dogs, a 3 year old, and my husband. Things get messy up in the hills. I love that when the jelly does fall face down, it isn't as difficult to clean up as shag or a traditional carpet. I also love that we could literally cut them as we went, and lay them in any time frame that we wanted. We opted not to pull out everything, We figured if it any seen, why bother. So, yes, under my sofas there is still the original orange shag carpet, I call it leaving a historical record, not laziness!"

I didn't get sooo lucky- hadta do some floor repair. In the process, I got rid of all the burnt orange shag goodness. Bad enuf to have memories and flashbacks without seein what I use ta do!!

"I know that this is probably pretty basic for some of you, no wiring schematics, no chassis, no ah, well anything else that I haven't learned yet, but if you have a dear wifee that is not loving the interior, know that they will support what they help create!
"

Read this, guys. This is the "summum bonum" of it all. Get her involved. We can ALWAYS take care of the greasy side down, can't
we? Let them take care of the palatial interior! They're GOOD at that.
It may cost you getting her a sewing machine but lemee tellya bruther it's worth it! She's gonna be more supportive of the whole enchilada if you do, and who do you REALLY wanna go camping with?

Think of it all kinda like this: it's their playhouse too. Judy (my YF) thought I'd lost it when I brought the Kobayashi Maru home. But after a few days of feeling sorry for me, and seeing how ignorantly happy I was over something like this, she decided to survey the interior. When I suggested just leaving the interior as-is, she refused, and set to measuring. And cleaning. And sewing. Before I knew it her stuff got done before mine!!! Yep. Now she's telling me to hurry up and get 'er done!!

It's not just for deer hunting, guys!

Mark a.k.a. whiteknight001

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
I have read alot about installing new headers on 360 and 440 engines and apparently there are lots of folks doing this. (along with dual exhausts) I have worked on engines on and off for a little over 50 yrs. And heres what I found. After putting big bucks into exhaust systems and headers the only thing I ever got was more noise. It never affected "more power" or "more gas mileage" You think you got more power because of more noise. As far as gas mileage goes it may look good on paper but in reality no improvement. The only thing that will improve mileage will be to get rid of the carb. and go with FI.
Headers yes if you go to different cam higher compression eng. etc. But just headers no way. It all has to go together at a very expensive proposition. And then where are the savings whats the difference if you spend money on gas or parts.
Just my 2 cents
Don M
If it aint broke fix it till it is

jamilin
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so the WhiteKnight has spoken!
Well when I got our Eldorado, it was in great interior condition, but as anything that is 30 years old, it was starting to really show wear. The color scheme was very on, with the orange shag carpet, and the Orange brillo pad seats.
The only expertise that I can offer this thread was the "Make it pretty for cheap" section.
Unfortunately, I think that is the easiest part, but here it goes. First I have to clarify that I come form the school of Redneck with "Style" school. What that basically means, is if you can get it for free, or near, you get creative, and make it work.

Once We ripped out the carpet, we were looking for a long wear, easy to do ourselves option, other than vinyl. The solution. Industrial carpet tiles! I have several family members that are in commercial construction, so if you know of some one, have them keep their eye open for some. IF you can't get them for free, check with any flooring store. I also have seen basements that they have done in a variety of different colors, (miss matched left over ones) that looked pretty cool, but I am not that bold. Color isn't as important as the shape that they are in. (I will cover my opinion on that later)
We found that because they are designed to be used with or without a glue, (we chose none) that they are WONDERFULLY easy to work with. Also, if you drop that piece of proverbial toast, you can pull out just that one square to replace it. The really don't move, and are great for clean up. We have dogs, a 3 year old, and my husband. Things get messy up in the hills. I love that when the jelly does fall face down, it isn't as difficult to clean up as shag or a traditional carpet. I also love that we could literally cut them as we went, and lay them in any time frame that we wanted. We opted not to pull out everything, We figured if it any seen, why bother. So, yes, under my sofas there is still the original orange shag carpet, I call it leaving a historical record, not laziness!

Now for the color part. The good news is that most of the salvage ones that you get are not that bad for color. I took the carpet as my pivot point, and found things that went with it. I didn't want a BLUE rv on the inside, (unfortunately in my area, blue would have no other color option than orange to accent with. It's a football thing:)
So I chose a heavy Dark green, and a floral that had green and shades of blue. Believe it or not, the floor, is not that obvious, and it really does look like it was planned.

The cab seats were AWFUL. Not looks, but comfort. We of course found some at a junk yard out of an old 80's van, hence a light blue, cleaned the heck out of them, (if you need help with that let me know) and they are SOOO comfortable. Oh yea, and they look really nice!
I know that this is probably pretty basic for some of you, no wiring schematics, no chassis, no ah, well anything else that I haven't learned yet, but if you have a dear wifee that is not loving the interior, know that they will support what they help create!

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
jamilin wrote:
Can I be here even though Ours is a 1978 Chevy Eldorado, not a Dodge, Like I previously stated? (BLOND, Sorry Truly am)

There just doesn't seem to be as many Chevy OLD owners on here. I figure there are some similarities, and I really hope I just didn't offend any of you!

Well, Jamilin...

Since I started this thread what seems aeons ago... I hafta tellya-
I just don't subscribe to the haircolor IQ thing- and there needs to
be some further growth of our nation, so...

Welcome to our l'il fambly... yes, a Chevy 'midst all the Dodgers.
Yer one of our own.

I am expanding this thread to INCLUDE ALL makes of RV's. The criteria being the same as Dodge- let's say 1985 and earlier for the rig. Some manufacturers did use other make's chassis and incompletes for their rigs. I came across a late '70's Mobile Traveler rig that was on a Chevy incomplete van chassis, instead of a Dodge. I visited with the owner's son who generously shared with me his time (Thank you Ron!!)
and information about the rig. His dad gave it to him, and he still uses it! So, jump in, and participate. This thread is now officially for OLDER RV'S of any make chassis/incomplete van, and any class- A,
B,C,H,L,M,P,Q, or whatever. United we stand. Most of us have at our disposal the use of the five most powerful words in the world- to soundly humble even the most egotistical blowhard bragging about his "rolling castle" and how so much superior his rig is to ours...

"Mine's paid for. Is yours?"

Cost: low.
Value: priceless.

And now, my favorite three words- hopefully they will form the motto
of our motley crew, our little society...

"Smiles, everyone!! Smiles!!" - Ricardo Montalban as "Mr. Rourke" of the TV show "Fantasy Island"

Well, ewens iz now ofishul- git after it!

Mark a.k.a. whiteknight
Wheezing Bravely Onward!

jamilin
Explorer
Explorer
Can I be here even though Ours is a 1978 Chevy Eldorado, not a Dodge, Like I previously stated? (BLOND, Sorry Truly am)

There just doesn't seem to be as many Chevy OLD owners on here. I figure there are some similarities, and I really hope I just didn't offend any of you!

IdahoJamboree
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see more people posting again. I have found good ideas and great help for my motor home here. I have a 21ft Jamboree with the 440. I had a broken exhaust manifold on the passenger side when I bought it and found the help here on the best way to get the stud removed and the manifold back on. I think the manifold is warped and I will have to replace it. I have a single exhaust and am thinking about duals. Anyone done this and have ideas and price? I may just go with a stock replacement to save money. This is great we can help each other. I can't afford a new motor home but I still want to keep mine in nice shape.

Retro_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
dodgespuller,

Best money you can spend is 15 bucks on a Haynes or Chilton's manual for Dodge full size vans of the same year as your motorhome. It will help with chassis related problems such as this.
If I remember right the sending unit acts like a variable resistor, adding resistance the higher the float is (more gas in tank) actually lowering the voltage back to the gauge.. If you are using a dc volt meter to determine the red wire has no "juice" the float mechanism or sending unit could be stuck in "full" position and little or no voltage would be correct. If you disconnect the red wire and your gauge goes to "E" that would prove the gauge works and your problem is in the sending unit/float.
Before you start though, I'd highly recommend getting a manual and reading up on it.

Retro

dodgespuller
Explorer
Explorer
Hello guys,glad I found this forum. I'm the proud owner of a 77 dodge sportman.It has a rubber roof over the cab and is in very good shape.I bought it from an older gentlemen that just bought a brand new class A.He only asked for thousand dollars just to get rid-off it.Every thing works and in good shape since it is in covered parking lot next to his house. the only problem i am having is the fuel gauge.it is allways full even if the gas tank is nearly empty.I am trying to trouble shoot the problem and need your help.the red wire from the sending unit is not getting any juice.I can trace it all the way to the fire wall but don't know where it goes from there. Please help.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Lower rpm's in a 10,000lb + gas rv is not always going to save you gas, might even be hard on motor, your best hp and torque is set at certain rpm's with wheel size, motor size, weight, ect, going to low in rpm's might kill your mpg's, and what about those mountains,, diesels can use low rpm's but gas needs to stay higher in heavy rv's....

Retro_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Master Boondocker Wrote:
My solution? .... in my 73 Class A ... I found a complete 3.73 geared axle assembly and will be putting that in to replace that 4.56. Anyone care to guess how many fewer rpms the engine will turn with that shorter gear in it(vs that 4.56) .... during a 6000 mile trip?

I found a calculator online to check gear ratios. I guessed at a 33 inch tire diameter for your rig and assumed no overdrive trans.
4.56 ratio......2787rpms @ 60mph
3.73 ratio......2280 rpms @ 60mph.

So for the sake of simplicity I figured a steady 60 mph. for the 6000 miles. I come up with 16,722,000 revolutions per 6000 miles for the 4.56 ratio and 13,680,000 revolutions per 6000 miles for the 3.73. A difference of 3,042,000 revolutions or enough to go 22.2 hours at 60 mph, or 1332 miles, at 8 miles a gallon (I'm guessing) that's like getting 166.5 gallons of gas for free!
I need a nap...

Retro_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Master Boondocker,

Propane trick:

Simply pour hot water ( I used a large coffee mug in the microwave for 1 minute)down the side of your tank. Where there is liquid propane it will absorb the heat and be cool to the touch. The empty space (vapor) will not absorb the heat and the tank will be warm.
I tried it the other day and was surprised that the level was easy to determine. Easy to feel the difference. With a larger tank you may need more water, but this worked great on the Cruiser.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
MasterBoondocker said > EFI & OD trans, lots of $$$ little fuel econ, tweaking carb is better.........Fuel inject system is a better fuel management than a carb, carbs can vapor lock, poor performance in high altitudes, burns more dirty than a EFI, carbs are ok at the race track or for small motors like generators, lawn mowers, etc, but cars/trucks/rv's are better suited for EFI, will get better mpg and burns better and cleaner, motors have proven to last longer with EFI over carbs...

Mac-ster ..... ah yes -- the direct port FI is bester in every way but the TB is not so.

I know that you have puffed the TB system for quite a while but the fuel mileage #'s that you come up with are not very impressive. As I said before ...I got nearly your claimed mpg on my Travco Espirit ... absolute ZERO tweaking and with a brake calipher hanging up.

But you butter your bread as you see fit. I will stick to my secret Edelbrock intake and the famous TQ carb.