cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many use HAM vs C/B for rig to rig etc?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Ladies and Gents,
The subject of C/Bs gets brought up every so often and is debated whether or not folks still install and use them. But, not many mention too much about HAM radios. I know and understand that the use of HAM radios requires a license as, I have one. I've had it for 8 years and have dabbled only a small amount in it. But, from my short experimentation with HAM so far, mostly at home with a small hand held handy talkie but, also a tad bit of use of a mobile unit in one of my vehicles, I've found it to be considerably stronger in signal and capabilities.

There's all kinds of technical reasons why they perform better and I won't go into them now. But, this post is primarily for those who have experience with HAM radios, maybe use them from RV to RV while traveling and or, also my use them in say, Jeep to Jeep while venturing off road. My level of license is TECHNICIAN and, there are two levels higher.

For those of you that care and or, are wondering, the higher the level of license, the more frequencies you can use, different ranges, and a whole lot more.

While traveling in groups, even two or more, C/Bs in the past have been outstandingly helpful and, whether or not I (and anyone I may travel with, on or off road)migrate over to HAM radios for the same basic communications, remains to be seen.

For anyone interested, acquiring the first level of HAM license is phenomenally simple. There is no longer (and hasn't been for quite a few years)a requirement to know Morse Code. There are classes all over the U.S. that are one day classes and, at the end of the session, you take your 35 question test and, are issued your license. The folks that volunteer for teaching and helping administrate those sessions are outstanding people.

Anyway, just wondering, just how many might already be using HAM radios for coach to coach, Jeep to Jeep type communications and how do you like it vs the old "C/B" stuff?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND
68 REPLIES 68

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Where have all of the truckers gone? Cell phones, HAM or?
Great Question! I trucked on the West Coast for 44-1/4 years. Most of us truckers had 10 liter radios and we talked on the funny channels (These were channels that we had installed in our radios that were above Channel 40. Old CB's had 23 channels until the late 70's when CB's were allowed to have 40 channels. Funny Channels are Channel 41 and above the channels we talked on on I-5 were in the 70's) I ran a Galaxy DX-44 and it was pumped up plus I ran a 250 Watt Amp. What I really liked about the DX-44 was it was able to pull in the signal to the other trucker that I was talking to as we were driving in the opposite direction. I had a CB Radio Shop install my funny channels and it was very nice quiet polite channels. Truckers get sick in tired of listening to filth on the regular 40 channels where most of the filth comes from and the worst was coming out of Tacoma, WA. base sets. We complained to the FCC to no avail.
Did you call em' and say you can't talk over those filthy truckers even with your 1/4 gal linear? ๐Ÿ™‚

I used to build those way back then but the smallest we sold was 300w dead carrier.

Btw: Liter = Meter
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Where have all of the truckers gone? Cell phones, HAM or?
Great Question! I trucked on the West Coast for 44-1/4 years. Most of us truckers had 10 liter radios and we talked on the funny channels (These were channels that we had installed in our radios that were above Channel 40. Old CB's had 23 channels until the late 70's when CB's were allowed to have 40 channels. Funny Channels are Channel 41 and above the channels we talked on on I-5 were in the 70's) I ran a Galaxy DX-44 and it was pumped up plus I ran a 250 Watt Amp. What I really liked about the DX-44 was it was able to pull in the signal to the other trucker that I was talking to as we were driving in the opposite direction. I had a CB Radio Shop install my funny channels and it was very nice quiet polite channels. Truckers get sick in tired of listening to filth on the regular 40 channels where most of the filth comes from and the worst was coming out of Tacoma, WA. base sets. We complained to the FCC to no avail.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad died in 2005, prior to that he was a Ham Radio Operator in the Pacific Northwest his call letters were K7AFL for 57 years. My Dad had what he called a Ham Shack out in our back garage and he would go out there, when he got home from work and never come out until after midnight. I seen very little of him in my childhood! For that reason I never got into Ham radios! My Grandfather was K7GUY until his death in 1968. I did drive with a 10 liter radio in my Semi for 44-1/4 years it was a Galaxy 44 with a 250 Watt Amp with a Turner Mike. I talked mostly on the funny channels so I didn't have to listen to the filth coming out on CB Radio base stations.

RicJones
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on who you travel with dictates your options, which are in my preferred order are HAM, CB, FRS/GMRS, and cell phone.
Our Jeep club uses both HAM and CB, with HAM working the best. Since not all members have their HAM license primary communications are via the CB. It does get confusing when people are talking on both.
I have both a 2M/440 and a CB in my MH, but rarely use the CB.
KF6VMP

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I use my hand held Ham Radio for communication between RV to RV when travelling and I find it is much more powerfull than a CB. I have a 40 Watt and a 7 watt radio. The 40 watt with a good antenna will get very far without a repeater. The 7 watt radio will get me talking over 5 or 6 miles in a forest environnement easily. With repeater in conjuction toghether, I can talk many hundred miles away.

Where I live we use the Ham radio a lot to check for road and weather condition and chat with others. We also use a few repeaters when out in the woods where there is no cell phone coverage. Some repeater have a phone patch and I phone home a 100 miles away to get new from the family and let them know how things are going and they do not need a licences to talk to me over the phone, this is one very good thing. We can also call a cell phone or ermegency service. While in USA I scan to listen for live chats but rarely hear anyone speaking over the radio.

I found the exam not so easy in Canada, it takes many weeks of studying to pass the 100 questions exam. This exam is taken out of 1000 or 2000 questions I think. I wish they would ease up on the electronic knowledge and on how radio wave bounces around the planet, we have internet for that. We have questions about how a radio is made in the nity gretty parts, we don't need to know that anymore and we will not repair a $50 radio, this is out of date useless knowledge as far as I am concerned.

Anyhow, Ham radio is very usefull for me as there is no cell coverage where I go fishing and while traveling with others. VA2ZOD
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
2lazy4U wrote:
I've heard that a lot of HAMs are getting older and it's not as popular as it once was with the advent of the cell phone.

There are more licensed amateur radio operators in America today than there have ever been.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

lenny-shawna
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Ladies and Gents,
The subject of C/Bs gets brought up every so often and is debated whether or not folks still install and use them. But, not many mention too much about HAM radios. I know and understand that the use of HAM radios requires a license as, I have one. I've had it for 8 years and have dabbled only a small amount in it. But, from my short experimentation with HAM so far, mostly at home with a small hand held handy talkie but, also a tad bit of use of a mobile unit in one of my vehicles, I've found it to be considerably stronger in signal and capabilities.

There's all kinds of technical reasons why they perform better and I won't go into them now. But, this post is primarily for those who have experience with HAM radios, maybe use them from RV to RV while traveling and or, also my use them in say, Jeep to Jeep while venturing off road. My level of license is TECHNICIAN and, there are two levels higher.

For those of you that care and or, are wondering, the higher the level of license, the more frequencies you can use, different ranges, and a whole lot more.

While traveling in groups, even two or more, C/Bs in the past have been outstandingly helpful and, whether or not I (and anyone I may travel with, on or off road)migrate over to HAM radios for the same basic communications, remains to be seen.

For anyone interested, acquiring the first level of HAM license is phenomenally simple. There is no longer (and hasn't been for quite a few years)a requirement to know Morse Code. There are classes all over the U.S. that are one day classes and, at the end of the session, you take your 35 question test and, are issued your license. The folks that volunteer for teaching and helping administrate those sessions are outstanding people.

Anyway, just wondering, just how many might already be using HAM radios for coach to coach, Jeep to Jeep type communications and how do you like it vs the old "C/B" stuff?
Scott

Hello Scott,
Getting a HAM license is something I've been considering as cell phone service has been spotty at best in many of our destinations.

I have and use my CB often. With that said, I have talked to many truckers when refueling and some of the older gents said the younger drivers do not really use them as they prefer cell phones.

They are nice to have for traffic updates etc.

Take care
lenny-shawna 2011 Winnebago Tour 43'. Cummins 450. Freightliner Custom Chassis. Hydra-lift motorcycle carrier 2014 Harley Ultra Limited. 2012 SRX. With our 3 Beagle/Hounds

KE6IRJ
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I will attemp to keep these short, but detailed enough you will know why I always prefer HAM.

First, saving lives. Growing up in Big Bear, CA, my entire family was HAM operators and living in the mountains, we were also SAR/RACES rescue team members.
One winter, we were monitoring the local repeater and heard of a vehicle lost on the trails above the ski resorts on the south side of the valley. After we got the basics and their level of confidence/knowledge, my Dad and I began to locate them. We switched them to a simplex frequency and were using a beam antenna to locate the strongest signal. We also had another HAM do the same (he was also a RACES member). When we figured a rough position, we asked the man in distress to stand as high on his vehicle as he could and tell us if he saw anything. He described seeing an orange light in the distance. We determined from his routes given, and his triangulation, he was nearly at the ski lift. To confirm, we used our binoculars and telescope to have him flash his headlights in very slow rates while calling on/off over the air. We confirmed his location. Once rescue got to him, they found that he had not told us they were only dressed in light winter gear and the heater in their car did not work. They likely could have froze if they had to spend the night up there.

Story 2, personal saving. In 2012, I was hosting an off-road rock crawling event in conjunction with the United Christian Off-Road Alliance (UCORA.org) in Moab, UT. I am one of the founders. Anyway, another of our members families was a HAM so we decided that we would use a simplex frequency all weekend to keep in contact from our trail rides to base camp. On the third day of our event, I was 7.8 miles out on trail which was 16.2 miles total when my rock crawler rolled down the mountain with myself, my wife, my kids, and my dog all inside. Praise God we were all buckled and the truck had a complete roll cage so no one was seriously hurt. We had a few scrapes and bruises, but nothing critical. However, my vehicle was destroyed, our food and water were gone, and we had to get back to camp, or at the very least off the trail. After I accessed the situation, I immediately got on the HAM, simplex, and made a distress call. Praise God again, but base camp heard it. We were not alone, so we informed them the situation, the condition o fall vehicles (every one but mine was fine), and that we would need a trailer at the end of the trail, since my truck was no longer road worthy or legal.After explaining where my backup keys were, and setting up a rally point, we started off the trail. The entire way, we were giving reports to where we were and how we were doing. My nerves were shot and I get the chills even thinking about it today. When we exited the trail, where CB and cell phones finally got signals again with anyone outside our group, the rescue team was there with trailer, food, water, and comfort. It was a long night, but the HAM was my saving grace.

Anyway, that is 2 instances, but I can tell you there are more. I recommend EVERYONE get a HAM license. They are easy, they are cheap, and a radio can be had much cheaper than years past. I am even a VI (volunteer instructor) for the ARRL and used to teach classes before I had kids, when I had time.

Hope this helps.
Brian
2010 Keystone Springdale SG294BHSSR
2006 Ford F250 Superduty SB 4x4

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Ladies and Gents,
But, this post is primarily for those who have experience with HAM radios, maybe use them from RV to RV while traveling and or, also my use them in say, Jeep to Jeep while venturing off road. My level of license is TECHNICIAN and, there are two levels higher.

There's the problem. No one in the rv club I belong to has a ham license, nor do any of the people I used to off road with. However, the majority of the rv'ers and all the Jeepers had a CB.

I use my uV-5r mainly for storm spotting.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
KK4PLD here.....

Well someone mentioned not all bands are useable, not true, there are antennae that will cover a variety of ham bands, albeit very expensive to install you can get out and reach many folks if the install is done correctly.

VHF/UHF I have done cross country and not many repeaters are in use unless you are on during the rush hour periods, still fun.

If you are caravanning out a CB is good to maintain contact without any licensing requirement. It all depends on what you want to do and how much money you want to spend.

I have no CB's installed and and will be putting in a VHF/UHF system in my new-to-me truck so I can talk with my local cronies.

YMMV

Can_t_Wait_Now
Explorer
Explorer
I like the ham for same reasons stated I need to install a mobile in my vehicle I have a go box with 2 meter mobile and HF rig I bring along to use and set up for traveling I have a handheld but need to use with external antenna for better performance KC3DBO

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
We always travel with our Ham radios in the truck. It's nice to chat with people along the way, you can get directions without having to stop and ask and it comes in very handy for you and your spotter when backing into a tight spot.

N6TNK,
Craig
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I took my 2 meter walkie talkie with us this trip for in camp use in Washington and Oregon. Using Repeater Book to program in the repeater stations, I had fun chatting with folks on repeater trunk systems.

Repeaters are put up high and can be reached from many places, unlike sat phones that are beamed with a footprint, or CB units without repeaters.

My Chinese UV-5R is a very respected radio that can be had for just over $50 US, worth every penny. VA7MDD
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
The profanity on CB's today is so bad its hard to use them. I'd not even consider it on speaker with my wife, kids and grandkids around. And its a shame because they can be very handy for road information.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
They each have their place.
I use both.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net