Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Often do You Empty and Clean Your Bays

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a curiosity question.

Over the years we have had two travel trailer and now on our 2nd MH. From the time we bought the first TT everything else has been purchased while traveling (yeh, we are a bit spontaneous) and each time we just moved everything for one to the next.

Needless to say, "stuff" accumulated without even thinking about it simply because we had the room even though things were getting a bit crowded.

When we returned from out summer trip last year I decided to completely empty all the bays and do a major house cleaning including cleaning the bay carpets. It was quite comical to run across spare parts for the TT's , tow vehicles and etc. Now I'm restocking the bays and amazed and all the extra room.

We even did the same thing for the inside with similar results.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad
20 REPLIES 20

JerryofWV
Explorer
Explorer
When ever we trade motor homes.
Jerry & Dee Dee Pauley

2005 Monaco Monarch SE, Workhorse, Falcon II tow bar, ReadyBrake, 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Once a year, but as full timers we keep them fairly organized

You don't know organized until you've seen FireUps...:E...just sayin...Dennis

I can imagine. 🙂
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
About once a year I empty them, clean them and then lube the hinges and the latches.

This past year I also replaced several of the struts that hold them open...got tired of banging my head and using props.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
John & Angela wrote:

You don't know organized until you've seen FireUps...:E...just sayin...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Every 12 years. Next year is the year. Maybe........
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Embarrassed to admit but trying to be honest = when I remember or there is so much road dust showing on stuff we need to rip it all out and power wash. Probably about every two to three years, but know for sure we've gone over 5 years initially.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
Before every trip! Not just the bays but the inside cabinets as well. Depends on the trip as to what I think I need to take.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
When my compartments are dirty, it is time to trade the MH. OK, not really.

Really, about every 22 years.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I clean out mine is when I am selling it, then before loading the new rv I will downsize. Been doing it this way for over 50 years and a lot of RVs but I admit we have a lot more "stuff" than we need. I do buy and sale often as I seldom keep RVs over three years or so
samsontdog:o:W

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Once a year as part of my annual service on the coach. Yes, it's amazing at the things we 'save' as we travel.....Dennis
Same here, but with a twist. One year it's the outside, the next is the inside. So, in reality once every two years even though we do a cleanup every year.

BUT, my system isn't working so hot & now I'm stepping it up to once a year for both. Like Dennis said, just too much stuff accumulates!!
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine neat and organized as I go, so its not a big job all at once
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the current trailer for two years now so I guess never. I know where everything is located and put it back in the same place after use.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yearly, usually before our first trip. Amazing how much junk accumulates over a year.