cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hubby says we need more power!!

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune pulling a Jeep Wrangler. The hubby is frustrated with the lack of power that it has when we are pulling on to highways and wanted to know if there are any add-ons to boost the power??? We purchased this unit last fall as our first Class A and would like some guidance from the veterans!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! 🙂
43 REPLIES 43

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Be careful with that one. According to the 2003 Neptune Brochure you have the Cummins ISB Low Torque engine rated at 275HP/600 lb/ft torque mated to an Allison MH2000 transmission.

Looking at the Allison Specs shows your transmission is rated for 300HP MAX with 780 lb/ft torque MAX.

HP wise you're close to the limit, and seeing as HP is a calculated number using torque and RPM, you really don't have a lot of room to play with that set up.

Bottom line - if you really want more power it might be time to start looking for a MH with a bigger engine and heavier transmission.

Am I helpful? :B :h

Are you helpful? Probably not, but, you are correct!

Chum lee

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
keepingthelightson wrote:
Loving God's Country! wrote:
300 Cummins / Allison trans

Here's a couple of options.

http://www.scheiddiesel.com/ts-performance/ts-performance-mp8-cummins-powered-motorhome/

http://shop.bankspower.com/i-1122-63752-powerpack-bundle-complete-power-system-with-gauges-for-use-with-2003-2007-cummins-isb-commonrail-pusher-motorhome-with-allison-2000.html?ref=category:82

😉

Yes hes been told that as it been posted here several times about Banks stuff
Your first link shows as for a 8.3 (1998 - 2005 8.3L CAPS Fuel System - MAP & Fuel Box)
he has the baby 5.9 ISB

keepingthelight
Explorer
Explorer
Loving God's Country! wrote:
300 Cummins / Allison trans

Here's a couple of options.

http://www.scheiddiesel.com/ts-performance/ts-performance-mp8-cummins-powered-motorhome/

http://shop.bankspower.com/i-1122-63752-powerpack-bundle-complete-power-system-with-gauges-for-use-with-2003-2007-cummins-isb-commonrail-pusher-motorhome-with-allison-2000.html?ref=category:82

😉
05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy and olylin are giving good advice. These will make a difference, not break the bank, or anything else.
Good luck and let us know what is decided.
Wildmanbaker

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
like I said if your serious get the banks kit they know what their doing they know what your Mh is capable of handling.I did a 350ISC and it was awesome

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
hostage wrote:
The subject was and is for those that have got way off base here is
QUOTE: we want more power can someone suggest a upgrade

I see you just joined last month. You are going to have a heart attack on here if getting off subject bothers you. It has always been a problem and I suspect always will be.

You have to assume we are all sitting around a campfire and talking to each other. Lot's of things come up during those conversations.

How to make your signature so we can serve you better:

1. Log on and click "My Preferences".
2. On the "My Preferences" page click the middle box and enter your rig info.
3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Submit Changes"
4. Exit and you're done.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I would do is don't listen to half on hear that just throw a lot of $$ at it and hope it will take the load. Then again if you have the xtra $$$ for a new trans and motor go for it, it's you $$$ and their advise. I would get a Scan Gauge D and see if your getting boost and temps are running low enough on climbs to add power, talking $150 and it plug and play. Then if you have enough trans add a bit of power 50HP and 50-100# of torque will make a difference and you will still have an arm and legs left to work with.

LEN

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I can suggest an upgrade on power. Take the coach to an Oasis dealer and let them do a program upgrade. My son did just that 6 weeks ago for a cost of $400.00. His coach was 300hp and 650 torque and the software took it to 325hp and 750 torque.
Only Cummins can tell your husband how much power your rig can handle safely. My son said it made a big difference
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
FIgured out what you should do (JOKE ALERT)

You need to trade it in on a brand new 2018 BINFORD Motor home from Tim Taylor RV sales.....

(Ok, Running and hiding now.. Good night all)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
upgrades have been suggested
but with the caution note
that it might not be advisable to do this, the tranny has too be able to handle the increased torque
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
The subject was and is for those that have got way off base here is
QUOTE: we want more power can someone suggest a upgrade

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welll, I have had a number of Motorhomes of different sizes and weights. THey number 6 in total so that lets me have a wide range of experiences. FIrst motorhome was a 34 foot Foretravel with a 350 ISC and Allison 3066R transmission. It would run up the mountains at about 2100 rpm and about 50 mph. I move to a 36 foot Foretravel with an ISM 450 and an Allison 4000R and went up the same mountain at 55 mph and then moved to a double slide 42 foot Foretravel with the same set up and took the same mountain at 45 mph. I had two born free coaches with he V10 one 24 and one 22 foot. I took it at the speed limit with the engine screaming and now in a Born Free on an F550 with the 6.7 Powerstroke on a 29 foot coach at 70 mph and no real increase in noise and only dropped down one gear. It is about gearing and weight to Torque and HP and how much gets to the ground. I have been passed on a big hill by a Prevost but not much else when I was in my Foretravel but now I can climb anything with ease. That said it is not a race to the top but it is getting to the desitination and all of them got me. I would not upgrade for more power but for what the coach offered. I went from 34 to 36 to 42 and and from 22 tho 24 and now to 29 to get out of the over head bunk or I would have kept that. I downsized by selling the class A too. It works for us and I never worry about how long it takes as long as it is climbing at a reasonable rate.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
We go up mountains out here in the west at 40 mph all the time. Really get to enjoy the scenery that way!

Assume you could spend $2,000 and go up the mountains at 55. So what. I'd rather spend that money on a couple long trips as that much money would buy a lot of fuel.

How to make your signature so we can serve you better:

1. Log on and click "My Preferences".
2. On the "My Preferences" page click the middle box and enter your rig info.
3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Submit Changes"
4. Exit and you're done.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
You can't murder an Allison. They will take 600hp.
Oh yes you can! It all depends on which model Allison it is. The one in my coach has max torque of 600 ft lbs. Horse power much less. Friend of mine with the same Allison transmission tuned up his Cummins 5.9 and put his tranny into limp mode!
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."