cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HWH Levelers-Final Fix?

dutchwind
Explorer
Explorer
I have followed the threads regarding HWH levelers that won't retract.
I also have one leveler that partially retracts, then giving it
the silicone treatment it retracts fully. It doesn't look as if this
problem is going away.
Is a final fix to replace the jack?
2008 Itasca Suncruiser
2007 Jeep Sahara
15 REPLIES 15

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Shot-N-Az wrote:
Doug, how difficult is it to remove and replace a jack cylinder? Are there directions posted anywhere?

For me it is not that big a deal:B There may be instructions on HWH's website. Doug

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, how difficult is it to remove and replace a jack cylinder? Are there directions posted anywhere?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I had a similar problem several years ago and had to replace the one jack it cost me $750.00 including labor at CW.

sounds to me like they replaced the entire jack, not just the cylinder.
bumpy

That's about right for a NEW cylinder and the labor. Rebuilt is much better cost if you can wait for HWH to rebuild. It is a little high, but they would NOT replace the Complete Jack as the complete comes with the switches and the frame mount bracket. Check your receipt for how the breakdown is on the labor and part. Doug

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy, it does sound that way. some places do that just for the extra money.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
I had a similar problem several years ago and had to replace the one jack it cost me $750.00 including labor at CW.

sounds to me like they replaced the entire jack, not just the cylinder.
bumpy

Old_Snipe
Explorer
Explorer
I took an old toothbrush, some rags and WD-40 and cleaned all around the seal area on my slowly retracting jack. There was a lot of built up crud there, once it was cleaned out, the jack retracted fine.

May not solve your problem, but for a few minutes of your time and next to no cost, it's worth a try.

Best Regards!
Paul D
2007 Winnebago Journey 39K, Cat C7 350 HP
(aka "R SANITY")
2003 Honda Element 4WD Toad
www.rsanityrvtravels.blogspot.com

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
happy-2 wrote:
If you can get all jacks up check the fluid level FIRST.After fill up run up then down a few times. also check the springs, mite have a week spring, a spring is cheeper than a cylinder.

OK lets check off your response
1. WHAT does fluid level have to do with HWH jacks failing to retract????
2. Springs can be a factor but NOT if they are still installed and not broken. Springs(new style tapered ends) will bring the jacks up FASTER, but a weak older style spring will still retract a GOOD cylinder. You can push (retract) a HWH cylinder with moderate pressure from your hand with no springs attached. Doug

cquinn5
Explorer
Explorer
Doug is correct. The seals will harden up and need replacing. HWH will rebuild cylinders for a little over $100.00 per(price from 2010)

Cliff
Cliff & Karen Quinn
The Great Outdoors

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Also, HWH does not recommend silicone sprays as a final solution or for retraction.

HWH INFORMATION BULLETIN ML47149 wrote:
If the jack rod has been greased or silicone sprays have been used on the jack rod, use WD-40 to loosen the grease or silicone and wipe the rod clean.

HWH INFORMATION BULLETIN ML47149

jauguston
Explorer
Explorer
I took a HWH jack that would not retract to a local hydraulic repair shop. They told me HWH uses Phenolic bushings inside the jack and the bushing will swell up from contact with the hydraulic fluid. They disassemble the cylinder and made a slight cut off of the bushings on their lathe. That relieved the binding from the bushing being too tight. That was 3 years ago and they still retract fine. Cost was about $200.00 per cylinder. They said they had done many of them.

Jim
2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Only reason to replace a jack is if it's bent, otherwise look for weak springs.
You can interchange the springs with another to isolate the problem. If it still won't retract, then good chance it's bent.
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get all jacks up check the fluid level FIRST.After fill up run up then down a few times. also check the springs, mite have a week spring, a spring is cheeper than a cylinder.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The ONLY correct repair is to replace the jack cylinder. Doug

yep, i had a reluctant jack and dropped it on a 2 x 4 to use to start prying it up. eventually had to have a mechanic remove the jack so I could continue to the next camping world for replacement. when they start to chatter replace them.
bumpy