cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 139, "Douglas Pass" from Rangley to Fruita, Colorado

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone take this route? Thinking of going through there in early fall. Was through there as a boy with my father driving an ore truck. We have a 32' class A with a toad.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V
8 REPLIES 8

Bassman
Explorer
Explorer
We go over Douglas Pass several times a year since one of our favorite fishing holes is West of Vernal. Ours is a 38' motorhome towing an 18' boat and never had any trouble at all.
Bassman
2004 Kountry Star 3706/330 CAT
Boat: 18' Tracker Tundra

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
139 - 13 - 64 - 191- 40 are all good.

JMHO
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Lived there, drove Tractor Trailer all over. Douglas Pass is 8500 ft. Not a problem just rather steep at 7%. They may ahve fixed the road by now.

OldBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
We went through there heading north in early July with our 31' MH with toad. A few miles of it was a bit bumpy from the crumbling pavement, but not to the point of being dangerous in my opinion. Just bumpy enough that my kids complained that I was hitting too many bumps while they were trying to draw pictures.
Steve -- Murphy, TX

2011 Fleetwood Storm 32BH (2011 Ford F-53 V10)
2013 Ford C-Max Energi with ReadyBrake
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, cute decorative lights in the shapes of peppers and RVs, one lovely wife, and three kids

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the posts, We came up Hwy 1 from LA to Monterey last summer, so tight roads and twisting turns I can do. Will be good to see that country again.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
From the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' (highly recommended, by the way):

If you're coming southbound: It's 6 miles of 6-8% grades with 25 mph speed limit and numerous 15 mph curves and switchbacks. About 2-1/2 miles down from the summit there is a 1/10 mile section of 10 or 12% grade. After the 6 miles of 6-8% there are several miles of 4%.

When we last drove this southbound the pavement was breaking up badly on the 'drop-off' side. Hopefully, it has been repaired!

We enjoy driving Hwy 550 (Red Mtn. Hwy) from Silverton to Ouray much better than Hwy 139. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is a good 2 lane mountain road.......have used it couple times towing my 34' FW
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We drove 139 in the northbound direction back in 2012. I remember it being a good climb up to the pass with some sharp curves. Wouldn't call them switchbacks, but I do remember being glad that we didn't meet a truck going the other way on one curve. IIRC we passed an 18 wheeler and a tanker going the other way, so you should have no problem.

A couple of pictures from the climb.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚