cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ignition problem

deeange
Explorer
Explorer
what would be the problem when you turn the key to start all gauges move speedometer pins on 100mph and would not start no cranking just dead all batteries fully charged, any help would be great, thanks

2003 Airstream Land Yacht 30'
workhorse chassis 340hp
15 REPLIES 15

deeange
Explorer
Explorer
well, thanks too all of you, this bother me so much that i have forgot to put a load test on the battery. doing that when i put a load test on the battery the needle drop to 0. all is well, again.

deeange
Explorer
Explorer
well, took a second look at it today got nowhere, i tried my chassis switch to bring down my step and heard the same noise the step did not come out of the close position. guess it's time to have it towed to repair shop. thanks to all who tried to help.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
outofplace wrote:
Sounds like the starter took a **** to me,Try to turn on headlights and then to start position if lights go out its the Battery, if they stay on with no effect its could be the starter.

If this does not show anything, you may want to start looking in the main power distribution box. For some reason the connections seem to get oxidation on the connectors and cause the symptoms as you describe, plus some other weird gage readings.
Now....BE VERY CAREFUL in the box, your not hunting rabbits here and you can get 1,000+ amp short if you are not careful. This will vaporize any tool that you may be using at the time, spaying molten metal in all directions.
Wildmanbaker

outofplace
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the starter took a **** to me,Try to turn on headlights and then to start position if lights go out its the Battery, if they stay on with no effect its could be the starter.
Paul
2016 Outlaw 38RE

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
I'm going to add another thing in the mix...the neutral start switch will give these symptoms...Is trans firmly in park...with fords you could hold up the shift lever and that would close the circuit for the neutral start switch..or shift to neutral and try it...I know you have a workhorse but that switch in Fords ie known to go...possibly your shirt lever is not firmly in park.

I don't think it would cause the speedometer to peg though. usually that's a power feed back from bad cable /power connection and or short at starter

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to add another thing in the mix...the neutral start switch will give these symptoms...Is trans firmly in park...with fords you could hold up the shift lever and that would close the circuit for the neutral start switch..or shift to neutral and try it...I know you have a workhorse but that switch in Fords ie known to go...possibly your shirt lever is not firmly in park.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
If reset doesn't work and all grounds and connections good start looking at ign switch
2009 Challenger

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'd try to isolate the systems b4 guessing what the problem is. First unhook from shore power to make sure I'm not reading converter output on my batts. Then hit the house batt disconnect to get them out of the loop. Then physically remove the negative cable from the chassis batt and let the ECM and stuff reset for a few minutes. Hook the chassis batt back up and try starting.

If there's no change probably have to get out the chassis manual and start chasing circuit gremlins.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

deeange
Explorer
Explorer
tried the aux start same problem, voltage tested 12v on aux. 13v on engine battery, no change on switch.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Shorted Starter?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Low battery voltage.
Could be battery needs charging or bad connection.
If you have "aux" start try it and see what happens.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
deeange wrote:
what would be the problem when you turn the key to start all gauges move speedometer pins on 100mph and would not start no cranking just dead all batteries fully charged, any help would be great, thanks

workhorse chassis 340hp

sounds like a battery shorting internally or bad battery connections??
like a bad ground ?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ignitipn switch. They take a pretyy big hit every time you turn to start. Contacts get fried pretty fast.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try the chassis battery disconnect when this happens. Turn it off and then back on. That seems to reset everything when it has happened to me.