cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In motion satellite

NewRVerOH
Explorer
Explorer
New to RV world. We have used ours in the past for primarily tailgating but are now getting into the traveling part with a young family. Have a question about in motion satellite TV. Can someone make a recommendation, Winegard, Kingdome, etc? Primarily for young kids watching while traveling, but also for passengers to be able to watch NFL/NCAA on the road coming back from other games. Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
We use a $1,000 Winegard dome which replaced our 2002 KVH dome. Direct TV with Standard Def picture.

DW typically records programs to watch later on. Soaps, movies, basketball games and football games that occur while we are in motion. So we create a library of things to watch at the campsite (and most importantly we can skip commercials!)

So our in-motion Domes have been used extensively while traveling and also to find the Sat Signal when parking in a campsite.

We are old people with diminished vision so cannot tell the difference between SD and HD on a 32" LED screen. Maybe if we had a 50" screen it might make a difference, but have no room for a large TV.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought a used King Dome at Escapee's Rally, wife loves it! No, it's not HD but it didn't cost an arm and a leg either, so were Happy!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last owner installed a Winegard in motion antenna and for the most part my experience has been the same as Effy's. The antenna works very well WHEN the line of sight to the satellite isn't blocked by trees, mountains, buildings, bridges,,,. Just too much stuff in the mid Atlantic area that blocks the antenna's view. I guess they work pretty well out on the Great Plains just not so well in my neck of the woods.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

lakings10
Explorer
Explorer
YC 1 wrote:
Had one, sold it and installed the Travler. The in motion was used maybe twice and is not high def. For the family, DVD's worked just fine. There are lots of phones that can stream video for other times.

HD if you have dish.
2015 Thor Hurricane 27k

lakings10
Explorer
Explorer
I have the winegard roadtrip and its HD because I have Dish. It works great, and its a must for my kids (4 and 7 months old). It's really reliable, and the only time it will cut out is when you go under a bridge, but only for a couple seconds.
2015 Thor Hurricane 27k

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bluwtr49 wrote:
An alternative to to the in-motion would be to use a more normal..much better, Wineguard and simply record programs for playback while driving if desired.
I used our SD in motion dish that was on the rig once to see if it would work and it worked great.

But it's now history and replaced with a RF Mogul SWM HD dish and DTV HR44 5 tuner receiver/recorder.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
We had in-motion installed on our first MH. As long as it had line of sight it was fine. The Winegard system is a bit flaky in that when it goes to sleep sometimes you have to turn it off and back on to get it to go back to automatic mode. Even in the northwest with lots of trees we usually can easily make sure that we have satellite signal. With Dish we get full HD. It is extremely convenient for the kids to be able to watch TV. We have the kids turn off the TV if there is something outside that is interesting. I wouldn't have a MH without it.
FMCA member

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
An alternative to to the in-motion would be to use a more normal..much better, Wineguard and simply record programs for playback while driving if desired.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

NewRVerOH
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the comments everyone. Much appreciated.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We have in motion (old TracStar) and have used it once in 10 years. (our daughter watched it in the bedroom while we were traveling). It did work great that one time. Most RV's are set up so that when you are in motion, the front TV will not come on, due to driver distraction. So only the bedroom TV will work in motion satellite. When there are only 2 of us it doesn't make sense to have in motion.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Effy wrote:
And then there is this: My son who is 11, told me, "Dad we are travelling and camping, what do we need TV for?"
Very wise kid.

Thanks, he keeps me straight.
2013 ACE 29.2

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Effy wrote:
And then there is this: My son who is 11, told me, "Dad we are travelling and camping, what do we need TV for?"
Very wise kid.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
It's an expensive option that we got on our first MH that worked sketchy at best. Sat needs line of sight, which means tree cover, overpasses etc will kill the signal and it needs to find it again. Most of the places we have camped had trees and frankly in the year we had it were able to use it about 5 times. When you camp you can't move the dome to get a better signal since it's fixed on the MH. Total waste of money IMHO. If I were interested in having Sat TV, I would get a carry out. While you can't use a carry out in motion, you can at least move it around your campsite. But our winegard in motion never worked very well while travelling. More frustrating than anything. If you really want TV while travelling, stream, get dvds, load a tablet and HDMI, all much cheaper and easier options than the $1200 boat anchor we had. Save your money.

2013 ACE 29.2

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Had one, sold it and installed the Travler. The in motion was used maybe twice and is not high def. For the family, DVD's worked just fine. There are lots of phones that can stream video for other times.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008