cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep coming back to American Tradition...actually -Heritage!

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
It's a biggie.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvd/3926145502.html

Seem to have a brain freeze and keep calling it a tradition when it is indeed a heritage.
And it's been on the lot awhile probably due to the Class B license requirement which the dealer promptly told us before we even opened the door. That's not too much of an issue as DH used to have it and can easily get it again. Now, my driving of the beast might be an issue, but I can learn.

It's just the quality of the rig is so amazing. And we have a white dog to match the interior:):)

The dealer could be an interesting experience as it's just a repo lot. Claims to have checked out all the systems onsite.

I know depreciation is an issue, but these particular coaches seem to hold their value pretty well. It's got 109k, but it is 13 years old so that doesn't seem like all that much.

opinions?
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR
30 REPLIES 30

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
13 yrs old then repo? Look for a a possible list of maintance items to be tended to such as all the rubber, sealing, shocks and so on. The engine, if cared for 109k is nothing.
Hire a trusted Service Tech to survey the entire coach. Some one that has worked for the factory would be nice.

RUNDLC
Explorer
Explorer
@KampingKris,

If you buy that rig you are going to CRUSH my dw, she saw it last weekend and fell head over heels for it!! I was not to happy with the owner, I have a commercial class B lic and asked about test driving it, he told me I would have to sign a offer sheet to purchase it and then could drive it. I did not like that at all, I have spoke DeMartini about test drives and they told me just to come on down.

I like that rig a lot but I think there are things that he is not telling us, I am surprised about the leaking though. I was thinking of going back this weekend but now may hold off a bit, I saw a really nice 01 heritage that was loaded go for 70k last month.

We are in the same area maybe we can see what this guys story really is.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RFCN2 wrote:
My transmission had to be replaced earlier this year. $7,000 rebuilt.

Why was this and any special reason other than bad luck?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
My transmission had to be replaced earlier this year. $7,000 rebuilt.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
I've heard stories of blown engines costing $25k to replace and a transmission being $12k or more. I have no idea if that's true or not as I haven't priced them out. All I do know is if my engine does blow and if it does cost $25k to replace, then my motorhome is going to become a really expensive guest cottage that sits next to the house for the rest of its life.

In 16 years of full-timing and meeting up with many diesel owners, we honestly have never heard of anyone having to replace an engine on the newer diesels, and this one in question is not old. Yes, perhaps 'someone' has replaced one, but it's a rare ocurrence. With proper care these engines go on and on....

However, since it's a repo perhaps it wasn't taken as good as care as it should have. I'd definitely have an independent inspection done, for sure. If it turns out o.k., then it's a great deal - even with the white interior. 🙂 You can easily add some bright color touches to make it pop. Good luck with your decision!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't take anything with a water leak unless it just happened that day.

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
We've backed off the Affinity for the time being. Would prefer to trade in our 5er and he wasn't interested. It does have a water issue or a split water line somewhere. We discovered that while trying to test the water system and water poured out the bottom. We are still unsure about it.
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Country Coach Affinity. But I gotta tell you a 15 year old coach with 8,000 miles on it that has spend it's life in a barn will need CAREFUL scrutiny before you buy. Likely many seals shot due to lack of use. And you may have an entire colony of rodents living in parts of the coach now or sometime in the last 15 years. Country Coaches are meant to be driven, frequently. So are all motor homes. I would be much happier with a 1998 with 80,000 miles on it.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Nice thing about an older coach is that they depreciate a lot slower than a new one. Ours has only dropped about $5k in the three years we've had it and since we got it at $14k under book, I'm still way right side up in the deal.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
I agree the asking price is too much. We're also feeling the coach is a bit too much for us as a first rig.

But there's another one in the running now that we will look at hopefully today...
1998 Country Coach Affinity... "supposedly" has 8000 miles and kept in a barn most of its life. It does look spotless inside and out in the photos. Plus, they have all the maintenance records...
It's also a bit over priced at 74k.
If we stay in this price range, we might be able to not have much debt if any - a noble goal for a "depreciating asset."

And we seem to be drawn to the older rigs and their quality.
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably the same outfit that I bought my Tradewinds from in Seattle and got a really good price on it. They buy repos and tradeins and have several lots in Ca and 1 in Wa. It's called Best auto sales or Best Auto recovery or something close. I felt that I was fairly treated and got a heck of a price. All the previous owners records were there as were all the manuals,but one. Of course that was the alarm manual and I have to scramble to figger it out when it goes off inadvertently.Also,there was nothing hidden in the deal and he was right upfront about who he was and where the coach came from.

I know that I'll probably get flamed for this, but with a coach of that age and mileage, I would get an ESP for it. I wish I had, but it's a long story why I didn't. I went for the old "don't buy one,put the money in the bank" suggestion. Sure and six months down the road a totally unforseen problem wiped out that account and the major part of my emergency credit card. I am now in the process of getting one.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
Spend at least a day in the coach turning on everything that can be turned on to verify that it is working properly. Take it for a drive and listen for strange noises, and see how it drives, and see if the brakes, including the Jake brake works properly. As far as the colors of the coach goes, the only one whose opinion counts, is you! It probably has a Cummins engine and Allison transmission, have them checked out at a factory authorized shop. At 109k miles, the engine is almost broke in--as long as it has no issues, it will most likely outlast you using it. Personally, I think it looks very nice, and wouldn't mind having having a coach like that. The only thing I would hold against it is that it is not a Country Coach!;)
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
American coaches in general are very good motorhomes. The one you are looking at is their top of the line. However, I don't think the price is low enough considering it is a repo. I like the similar one of the PPL website better. If you bought from PPL you can talk to the previous owner. Price is similar. I have a Country Coach Affinity. That is fairly comparable to the Heritage. I think you might be able to get a Country Coach Affinity from 2000 or a Monaco Signature (also similar) for about that price.

Make sure you really like the motorhome and don't just buy on price.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
If you like it don't be afraid to pursue it. American Coach makes a very quality product....we purchased a 1999 Heritage and have owned it since 2007. We love it and have 165,000 miles and plan to keep it for many years to come.
Thanks, Phil
2000 American Coach 45' Heritage