cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large RV insurance trouble

snooderhound
Explorer
Explorer
National Interstate stopped writing coverage last year. Switched to Blue Sky , now they want 35% increase . Any names for me to check out. My primary carrier is Nationwide for auto/home. - they won't do anything over 35ft. I have a 45ft Bus Conversion, MCI by Custom Coach. thanks
97 MCI 45ft Custom Coach conversion , Detroit Diesel Series 60 . Chevy Suburban K2500 8.1L
25 REPLIES 25

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Geico was very reasonable for us.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

snooderhound
Explorer
Explorer
Well it is done. That was way less painless than in the past. State Farm $885/yr with max limits and $150,000 replacement cost. I did try an online Progressive quote and got a $900/yr premium. I phone Progressive just to make sure that all was good due to me having to check off "Other" twice, once for manufacturer and once for type of RV.
I paid an extra $30 for 1M in medical coverage instead of zero , cause I now have "crappy" health insurance (if I leave the network) vs my good old Blue Cross I had for 25 years.
SO in summary I was with National Interstate for over 10 years, they stopped insuring bus conversions, the broker signed me with Blue Sky last year for $1200/yr (max benefits). Then at this years renewal Blue Sky wanted $1800/yr.

So State Farm it is, and the local agent insures my rental apartments and my life . I am happy to help him get his piece of the pie.
Thanks for all the input folks. Drive Safe !!!!!
97 MCI 45ft Custom Coach conversion , Detroit Diesel Series 60 . Chevy Suburban K2500 8.1L

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I had Blue Sky when they did the rate increase bit on me...then went to Allied (Nationwide) and so far, so good..and no issue with the new rig.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

turnersteve
Explorer
Explorer
I use GEIGO, I have a 36ft motorhome. They have been great!

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
National General. Good Sam is a broker - they used to be a broker for GMAC.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
snooderhound wrote:
National Interstate stopped writing coverage last year. Switched to Blue Sky , now they want 35% increase . Any names for me to check out. My primary carrier is Nationwide for auto/home. - they won't do anything over 35ft. I have a 45ft Bus Conversion, MCI by Custom Coach. thanks
Give this company a try. Our third renewal is coming up in Nov.

--------
Miller Insurance Agency Inc.
Cheryl L. Howarth 800-622-6347
5805 SW Willow Lane Lake Oswego, OR 97035
cheryl@millerrvinsurance.com
http://www.millerrvinsurance.com
Miller Insurance Agency has the expertise to insure your Prevost with companies that know and understand Prevost Conversions.
--------

Safe travels,
MM.
X2 Miller is fantastic. We use Stevia as our agent there.

Large (i.e. expensive) motorhomes are different than regular motorhomes. There are few companies that insure them. Most of the suggestions offered above are inappropriate and will not insure large, expensive motorhomes.

Call Stevia at Miller and she'll hook you up.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
I just renewed with National Interstate last week. They are still writing policies and my premium actually went down a bit. :h

Just renewed mine last month but mine went up $100 from last year.

😞

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
AAA with low rates work for us. They do house, rentals and auto insurance for us for very good rates and have no cancellation policy.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
snooderhound wrote:

Give this company a try. Our third renewal is coming up in Nov.

--------
Miller Insurance Agency Inc.
Cheryl L. Howarth 800-622-6347
5805 SW Willow Lane Lake Oswego, OR 97035
cheryl@millerrvinsurance.com
http://www.millerrvinsurance.com
Miller Insurance Agency has the expertise to insure your Prevost with companies that know and understand Prevost Conversions.
--------

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a wide variety of policies with State Farm, auto, home, and business. They insure my 33,000 GVWR commercial truck. I doubt they would turn down a bus/motorhome conversion.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try Auto-Owners Insurance. They only write in 26 States and PA is one of them. I have never found another company that is even close to their rates for my autos or my Class A. Auto-Owners

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Strange...when did this happen? I renewed 3 months ago...(and have used them since day 1...15 years ago.)

db7512
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate.
2016 Newmar Ventana
2016 Ford Edge

db7512
Explorer
Explorer
We use progressive.
2016 Newmar Ventana
2016 Ford Edge