Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let Me Know if You Have Allison Transmission Fluid Questions

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I've just joined Good Sam Club. I was the former Transmission Fluids Engineer at Allison Transmission. I held that position from 1990 until my retirement in 2009. Let me know if you have questions about TranSynd, the TES-295 specification or just anything to do with automatic transmission fluids. I'm here to help.
Tom Johnson
Former Transmission Fluids Engineer (Allison Transmission, Inc.)
Avon, IN 46123
237 REPLIES 237

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
wagonmaster2 wrote:
Maybe I've missed an answer to this question in all the great responses but I was wondering how long to run the High Efficiency filters assuming the fluid analysis says the fluid is okay seeing as how Allison says to change the filters every 36 months?
Should the filters be changed every 36 months even if the fluid can be run 60-84 months, or even longer? Mileage only runs around 4,000-5,000 miles per year.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G Allison 3000 Cat C-7 330 HP

Wagonmaster2,
Here's the deal. I believe you can run filters longer but you'll need to run oil analysis and it "must" include particle count and should include ISO Cleanliness Code. Oil analysis will tell you all you need to know about the fluid life (provided you're also getting the TAN (Total Acid Number) information. The only thing a typical oil analysis won't tell you is how much debris (particles/millileter) and the size of the particles (micron sizes) that are circulating through your system. Allison filters are sized to pass finer particles (approximately 30 microns or smaller)so that the filters won't "load up" in a short amount of time. Anything above 30 microns should be trapped by the filter. Generally, the larger the particle, the less there are of them. Tiny particles (around 4-14 microns in size) are abundant in most systems. These tiny particles generally due little harm the transmission unless they are very hard particles like sand (which shows up as excessive "silicon") in an oil sample.

Bottom Line: All systems are different in the way the collect debris and your duty cycle and location are a big part of what gets picked up through the breather. So, filters are kind of difficult to manage. It can be done but it takes particle count data at a bare minimum to do it. Most folks may not want to take that on.
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Did we scare poor Tom off with the multitude of questions?

Ron

Nope. Still here. Been watching grandchildren. I'll have to do this stuff by candle light in the evening !!!

I love helping out. Hope everyone thinks it's good stuff. ALso, I'll always tell you if I can't answer something. Remember, my primary area of expertise is Allison oil specs, oil formulations, oil and additives industry, lubricants, lubrication and oil and coolant analysis.
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
sundancer268 wrote:
Is there a way to add the internal oil level sensor to my 3060 S/N 6510026852? This unit was manufactured in 1994 and installed in a Spartan Chassis for Gulf Stream. Thank you.

Sundancer268,

This question is out of my area of expertise. You'll need to call the Allison Tech Line at 1-800-252-5283.

Sorry !!!
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did we scare poor Tom off with the multitude of questions?

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a way to add the internal oil level sensor to my 3060 S/N 6510026852? This unit was manufactured in 1994 and installed in a Spartan Chassis for Gulf Stream. Thank you.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

wagonmaster2
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I've missed an answer to this question in all the great responses but I was wondering how long to run the High Efficiency filters assuming the fluid analysis says the fluid is okay seeing as how Allison says to change the filters every 36 months?
Should the filters be changed every 36 months even if the fluid can be run 60-84 months, or even longer? Mileage only runs around 4,000-5,000 miles per year.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G Allison 3000 Cat C-7 330 HP

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
hzjcm8 wrote:
lanerd wrote:
Welcome Tom... my 08 Safari has the C7 CAT and a 3000mh (built in 07) Allison and as I read in an earlier post (and also in my Allison manual), I'm required to change both filters every 36 months and full fluid change every 48 month. When changing the filters, I will lose almost half of the fluid and am required to replace it (of course). When changing the fluid at 48 months, I assume I do not change the filters, but if I don't pull both filters I also assume I will not get the entire 19 qts (4" pan) to drain. I now have 27,000 miles and recently replaced both the filters and the 19 qts of Transynd. It seems strange to me that the filters are only good for 36 months and the fluid for 48. Will it be detrimental to the trans if I change both filters and fluid every 48 months, or should I change both every 36 months? Due to the price of Transynd, I would like to reduce the amount of good (and fresh) Transynd with the replacement of the lost fluid during the filter change.

thanks, and once again welcome.

Ron

Ron,
Are you running Allison Gold Series filters or the High Capacity filters? Or are you running some "aftermarket" filters?

I'm using the high capacity part number 29545779. I purchased the Transynd and filter kit from a certified Allison dealer in Bakersfield CA.

Ron

Ron
Ron & Sandie

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased an 05 Fleetwood Revolution LE Cat 400hp and Allison Transmission. It only has 9200 miles on it. I have no idea what has been done to it as far as mainteance. Any recommendations on what kind of servicing I should have done? Thanks
Brian

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Welcome Tom... my 08 Safari has the C7 CAT and a 3000mh (built in 07) Allison and as I read in an earlier post (and also in my Allison manual), I'm required to change both filters every 36 months and full fluid change every 48 month. When changing the filters, I will lose almost half of the fluid and am required to replace it (of course). When changing the fluid at 48 months, I assume I do not change the filters, but if I don't pull both filters I also assume I will not get the entire 19 qts (4" pan) to drain. I now have 27,000 miles and recently replaced both the filters and the 19 qts of Transynd. It seems strange to me that the filters are only good for 36 months and the fluid for 48. Will it be detrimental to the trans if I change both filters and fluid every 48 months, or should I change both every 36 months? Due to the price of Transynd, I would like to reduce the amount of good (and fresh) Transynd with the replacement of the lost fluid during the filter change.

Ron

Ron,
Are you running Allison Gold Series filters or the High Capacity filters? Or are you running some "aftermarket" filters?
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
slemnah wrote:
Tom, welcome to the forum. Your info is very valuable to all of us. I have a 97 HR Imperial with a 3000 series Allison. I tried to check the fluid level using my touch pad but I guess I don't have that option. Is there a way to upgrade my touch pad for fluid level? Also, does it hurt to continue running Dexron lll or would it be better in the longrun to change over to synthetic? I recently purchased the motorhome and it looks like service's have all been done with Dexron. Thanks again for the help!
Steve

Change to TranSynd (or another TES-295 approved fluid) and run it for 300,000 miles without any more oil changes. You'll have to ask a technician to verify whether or not you have an OLS (Oil Level Sensor) in your sump. If not, then you won't have that functionality on the shift selector pad.
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

slemnah
Explorer
Explorer
Tom, welcome to the forum. Your info is very valuable to all of us. I have a 97 HR Imperial with a 3000 series Allison. I tried to check the fluid level using my touch pad but I guess I don't have that option. Is there a way to upgrade my touch pad for fluid level? Also, does it hurt to continue running Dexron lll or would it be better in the longrun to change over to synthetic? I recently purchased the motorhome and it looks like service's have all been done with Dexron. Thanks again for the help!
Steve

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Hzjcm8, I have a rather unusual question. When we first bought our new coach, I could swear that I had a transmission dip stick, I know I checked it once. Then, when I took it into service for it's first 5,000 mile check up and fluid change, I went to check the dip stick and there was no dip stick, just the locking piece on the end.

When I mentioned it to the service shop, they said that they don't have dip sticks that the level is checked from the transmission pad. Again, I know I'm not crazy as I remember pulling a dip stick once when it was new.

Can I get a dip stick from Allison?

Thanks,
MM.

Mr. Mark,

I asked my old friend (still at Allison) and he said you should have a dipstick. They must have lost it at the service place. Allison supplies the transmission with a short dipstick only. The chassis manufacturer modifies it to fit the engine compartment. They should be able to supply the dipstick through their P/N (not the Allison P/N). So, who's the chassis manufacturer? You could ask them for a replacement.

Hope this helps !!!
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ron
Ron & Sandie

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
caymann wrote:
Checking Oil Level (3000/4000) :

When i change transmission oil, before i drain it, i mark my dipstick to where the current cold oil level is with an exacto knife or something. I drain tranny oil cold because it is synthetic and hence flows nicely. Generally this level is far higher than what the dipstick shows as hot/cold mark. You do this once only. After draining oil, i just fill oil upto this newly marked level.

Next time , i am driving and the oil is hot enough (140F or more) and i am on a level surface, i use the allison pad and press up and dn arrow together. It counts down 7..6...1..0 and tells me OL--OK (ie oil level is good)

So i don't have to worry about warming the oil after a fill to check with the tranny pad since the oil is cold at the time and tranny pad would give you the reading.

It has worked for me for many years and i have used this method in 3000 and 4000 series allison transmissions.

Caymann,

Great method. Can't see anything wrong with it. The dynamic sump level (transmission pump running) will seek its own level based on suction (pump inlet) flow rate vs. retun oil flow rate. So, marking it and then returning new oil to that mark should be OK.
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
Desertcat921 wrote:
I have an MCI bus with allison 740 transmission and assume I can use transynd in it too?

Desertcat921,

Yes. TranSynd is OK for the HT740 series.
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123