cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling the RV

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have a 1996 Monaco Dynasty and other than just using the level bubble that came with the RV what are some other methods to ensure the RV is level from front to back? How do I test that the level bubble that is beside the driver's seat is working correctly? Thank you in advance.
22 REPLIES 22

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like several others mentioned, I use a small level and place it either on the floor or the counter. Typically do that first thing as soon as get into a campsite, before extending jacks, just to see how far off level it is before I begin. Most times I end up using blocks under each jack, and sometimes drive one or two axles up onto blocks as well to get it level.

When it comes to leveling, don't be lazy and just let your jacks do all the work. Carry with you, and use blocks of some kind. The less you have to extend out your jacks when leveling, the more solid and less 'shaky' it will feel inside (not to mention its easier on your jacks). I typically get as close to level as I can with blocks, then put whatever remaining blocks I have left under the 4 jacks so jacks don't have to extend as much. Only then, do I extend the jacks to finish up the leveling.

I never use the 'Auto' button, either, unless we're on a very level site, like a paved one. I've found using the 'Auto' button will make it go through several unnecessary iterations of up and down, and end up raising one side up much higher than necessary. It does not work well unless you're almost perfectly level already. Manual mode is much better, IMO.

This reminds me of last time we were camping, about a month ago. Pulled up to our campsite (was a back-in site), older couple were sitting outside across the road from us, heard him say to his wife, "Oh, good, our afternoon entertainment, watching this young couple try to wrestle that big MH into that site! They look young, inexperienced, this oughta be fun to watch". Unfortunately for him, it ain't exactly our first rodeo, we been doing this for many years, haha. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, got in the site pretty easily and quickly, nothing really to see. Site was particularly unlevel, so I had to use a lot of my blocks, including some under the wheels. Afterward, got to talking to them (neighbors that had made that comment), his wife said, "You just gave my husband a good education! Like how you used blocks to do most the leveling, most MH owners just take the lazy way out and make jacks do all the work. Also like how you made those blocks with straps on them to make them easier to carry! I want to see how you made them, I think we're gonna make some of those." (I was using a set of 'homemade' blocks I made from pieces of 2x10 with straps on them to make them easier to carry).
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Torpedo level on the kitchen counter. DW watches it while I operate the level controls. Once it hits level, I then slightly raise the head of the bed and slightly raise the front of the coach to keep the A/C condensation from running down at the door. And I say SLIGHTLY, I do mean slightly. The bubble is just barely touching the line.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I typically push the "Auto" button on our Bigfoot jack panel and go outside to do the power, etc hookups while my wife handles unstowing the inside gear. When the jacks finish she runs the super slide out and we're done. We do have levels on the dash and driver's door that we check occasionally. If a site is way off level, I may put blocks under the low side jacks first.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 4ft level that I lay down on several parts of the RV flooring, make sure the bubble is always within the lines where I place it, front to rear, side to side. Pretty sure I'm level then. Takes under 5 minutes for me level the coach unless on a steep incline then I use the level outside to decide what blocks to put under jacks.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

jauguston
Explorer
Explorer
We use the bathroom door open to see front to back level and a 2' carpenter level on the floor for side to side level. Close enough.

Jim
2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
As for the refrigerator being level, as long as the coach is level enough for comfortable living, it's close enough according to both Dometic and Norcold.
X-2

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
We don't usually measure level. As long as it feels level when we walk back and forth we go with it. You can tell if one end or side is lower than the other. I'd say about 75 percent of the time we don't use the jacks.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duplicate Post
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
ricelake922 wrote:
Hello. I have a 1996 Monaco Dynasty and other than just using the level bubble that came with the RV what are some other methods to ensure the RV is level from front to back? How do I test that the level bubble that is beside the driver's seat is working correctly? Thank you in advance.

I had the RVA jack system with a supplied bubble level on my 2000 Beaver PT and found it to be excellent and easily adjustable for zero (which it already was). Once I confirmed it was accurate there was no reason to try different methods. Besides why leave the drivers seat to run back and forth to other locations while leveling.

Stop
Put out slides
Dump Air
Level
Beverage
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
As for the refrigerator being level, as long as the coach is level enough for comfortable living, it's close enough according to both Dometic and Norcold.

yup.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
My outside door does a great job of checking front-to-back leveling. I hold the door at a right angle to the RV and then release. It swings to the front, or to the back, or stays in place.

Macrosill
Explorer
Explorer
I used a plastic 2' level on the floor of the trailer just inside the door. I have since replaced the little bubble levels on the outside of the trailer with bigger and better ones. I still use the level on the floor to confirm I have the rig level enough.

Everything is built on the floor of the trailer so if it is level then everything else should be as well.
Thanks,
Brian

TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TV = 2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW 6.0

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a golf ball on the wood floor in the kitchen.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
rjxj wrote:
Put a small level in the refrigerator and compare it to the ones on the rig. A small level that may be a foot log or so.

yep, I got the bottom of the freezer compartment level, then smushed my bullseye level into silicone seal on the console until it also read level, then just used that for future leveling.
bumpy

+1 if you have a slide out the coach should be level or it may not extend/retract properly.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley