cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to buy a diesel pusher - How big is too big???

TheLostDutchman
Explorer
Explorer
So here is the story... We've been RVers since the late '70s. Started in a van conversion, moved up to a small class "c", then up to a 30 foot fifth wheel. We are shifting away from our current camping style - a good deal of which was spent primitive (dry) camping and trail riding in the back country interspersed with long, cross country sight-seeing trips.

We have now decided to go full time this year and pretty much stick to cross country sight seeing. We've spent several months shopping around and paring down the list of coaches we like and have narrowed it down to two. But they are both in the 40 to 45 foot range.

We will probably move around a lot in the new rig, but stay in any given area long enough to really check out all the local sights and offerings. We may stay in one place a couple of days, or maybe a month. Just depends.

We keep hearing rumors that many people regretted moving up into units that big and that begs the question: How big is too big?

We really like the 45 footers but do not want to stay in big, expensive luxury resorts... not our style. And we will have a 4X4 toad that will get us to the places we want to see. I know we won't fit in most state and national parks, but should be able to find a suitable RV parks within a reasonable driving distance... Are we shooting ourselves in the foot here?

Please share your experiences, thoughts, and advice... We only get one chance to do this right... can't afford a mistake. Thanks in advance.
Bill & Nettie.
Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

41 REPLIES 41

TheLostDutchman
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to thank everyone again for their responses... we decided on a 2018 Newmar Dutch Star, 41 Footer, followed by a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit for a toad, and very happy with the choices. We wish you all happy trails and safe travels.
Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
No state requires an actual CDL for personal noncommercial use of RVs, though several do require noncommercial licenses beyond the standard driver's license and frequently the requirements and classes of such licenses parallel the ones for CDLs. (General CDL requirements and applicability are determined at the federal level.)

If the OP is home based in AZ I believe that state does require a class "B" endorsement. This will be due to the weight of the motorhome being over 26,000 lbs not length and frankly even any 40' will be over that. KS requires the same and it is super simple/easy to stay compliant.

Your are absolutely correct about Kansas and we are not the only state that is taking the law very seriously about requiring Class B and Class A non-commercial licenses for recreational vehicles meeting the weight criteria. Many DPs 36' or longer will require the driver to have at least a non-commercial B if the driver is licensed in Kansas without an air brake restriction.

As a side note, when you see a 350/3500 dually pickup pulling a large fiver, they very likely have triggered needing a class A in some states with an "O" restriction (non-semi).

When discussing with a State of Kansas DL examiner recently about RVs and drivers licensed in Kansas, she commented, "I've never heard about a driver of a large fiver or a DP getting ticketed for not having a class A/B non-commercial but, I sure would hate to see what would happen if they were involved in an accident and they had to go to court over a fatality incident".

Just saying, check your state laws for yourself and do not rely on me or anyone else to tell you what you need.

As the saying goes, "Size does matter" in the case of licensing.

Have fun looking for your new motorhome.

Sign me, a DP owner that loves every foot of our 43' but am properly licensed in my State to drive it.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

TheLostDutchman
Explorer
Explorer
Heck CO,
Don't give up on it.... Just figure out how to make it fly... ; >)
Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering now if I should abandoned my bus conversion project ๐Ÿ™‚

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Some laws just need to be updated to the times. Can you imagine if DC ever enforced their law? Come on, how many tour busses are 45'. You just need to plan your route carefully. Some routes are lined with trees not Big Rig friendly. Some traffic circles are not long length friendly. Worked there several years and made the mistake of pulling a 33' TT through there following Rt 50 and my GPS' recommendation--ONCE.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

TheLostDutchman
Explorer
Explorer
Again thanks for all the input... I found newer updated regulations for Canada that allow 45 footers (14 meters) so long as they have 3 axles (meaning a tag). They also allow for a 2 vehicle combo of 20 meters (65.5 feet). And that is as of Sep 2016

And I don't drive anything in D.C.... Better off in public transportation...
Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a rig that is 40 feet. I am sure there will be places I can't go. There were places our original 33 footer was too big. There is a US Highway, RT30, in PA west of Gettysburg that has a 28 foot limit. VERY tight road. We are going to a festival this summer where the RV spaces are 20 x 40. We will just fit. That said, you should get what makes you happy, seems you have done a lot of research. Do a bit more on the types of places you want to go and also the alternate places to stay. I know we really appreciate the additional space.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
DrewE wrote:

The District of Columbia prohibits them entirely.

This and others I looked up says District of Columbia does allow RVs.

http://www.godcgo.com/home/tools-for-getting-around/other-resources/freight-management/oversize-and-...

By "them" I meant only motorhomes longer than 40', not RVs in general. I apologize if I was not clear there. I suspect you would not usually be hassled about a 45' motorhome in practice, but their regulations seem clear enough in excluding vehicles that long. (Driving any motorhome in DC would be something of a hassle in itself...on a different level.)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

The District of Columbia prohibits them entirely.

This and others I looked up says District of Columbia does allow RVs.

http://www.godcgo.com/home/tools-for-getting-around/other-resources/freight-management/oversize-and-...
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
TheLostDutchman wrote:
Thanks for all the advice and info... It got me to looking up restrictions - we intend to spend a lot of time in Alaska which means going through Canada... Maximus length everywhere except Yukon is 12.5 meters or 41'6"...

We also want to tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Approximately 33 states have 65' combined length restrictions as well.... Dang. What an eye opener. Glad you all are giving me things to consider. I would have completely missed those two important points.... You all are the best.

You'll have no problem in Alaska or Canada. Folks drive a 45' towing. Same for the other states. You see 45' all over, including California. There are some roads in California where the length isn't allowed such as parts of Hwy 1 but just park off that Hwy and tour in your car - better way anyway. (There's a website listing the roads you can't drive and for the most part, they are roads that you wouldn't want to drive with a big RV of any kind.)
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I don't knnow if it matters but I have been all over the US with a DP and trailer that are 72ft over all since 1999....I have never been stopped or even questioned about the length. I only remember one RV park where the length was an issue for me, not the park.....

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:

You may also want to check for storage and weight issues. My 40' with a tag, loses 3' of storage bay, but has a pretty much unlimited carrying capacity. So look closely at the actual storage capacity when you look at different sizes. Typically, anything over 40' gets a tag. So.....if you bought a 40' non-tag, you'll end up with two more feet of storage bay, than a 41' with a tag.
Yeah that ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 32' Gasser in 2005 to a 36' DP. We didn't buy it because of it's length (fitting into parks), we bought it because we liked the floorplan and engine availability. We kept it for ten years and camped every year, including Yosemite and a couple of times at Yellowstone (Fishing Bridge Campground). We never had an issue getting into state and local parks.

Three years ago, we went to a 40' DP. We picked the Newmar Dutch Star because it was a true forty foot coach, had a tag (only coach 40' with a tag) and an engine brake. We live in California and I didn't want to deal with the additional licensing.

Our Dutch Star still fits in Yosemite and Yellowstone. We tow a 2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab with 4wd. The total length is 64'. We've found that on occasion, when we call to make a reservation, people get a little weird when you say you have a 40' coach or larger. When we call now, we tell them it's a 39'. It's a mental thing.

So......don't be afraid of the longer coach, including a 45'. You'll be spending a LOT of time together and a larger coach can give you a little separation and a feeling that you're not closed in. Since you're full timing, you have plenty of time to plan each trip and find a reasonably priced campground near your destination.

You may also want to check for storage and weight issues. My 40' with a tag, loses 3' of storage bay, but has a pretty much unlimited carrying capacity. So look closely at the actual storage capacity when you look at different sizes. Typically, anything over 40' gets a tag. So.....if you bought a 40' non-tag, you'll end up with two more feet of storage bay, than a 41' with a tag.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
No state limits the length of MHs to 40' but some like CA require a CDL type licence for RESIDENTS if they have a 40+ MH. When I take my 42' into CA I do NOT have to have a special licence... it's called reciprocity of licence but there is no reciprocity of length. Maybe with a four door Jeep behind a 45' MH you could be over 65'. I have traveled thousand of miles at 42' (with others that were 45') in Canada and never had an issue plus I've seen a bunch of Canadian tour buses that were 45'.

No state requires an actual CDL for personal noncommercial use of RVs, though several do require noncommercial licenses beyond the standard driver's license and frequently the requirements and classes of such licenses parallel the ones for CDLs. (General CDL requirements and applicability are determined at the federal level.)

Maryland restricts motorhomes longer than 40' from most non-interstate roads. The District of Columbia prohibits them entirely.

If the OP is home based in AZ I believe that state does require a class "B" endorsement. This will be due to the weight of the motorhome being over 26,000 lbs not length and frankly even any 40' will be over that. KS requires the same and it is super simple/easy to stay compliant.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ivylog wrote:
No state limits the length of MHs to 40' but some like CA require a CDL type licence for RESIDENTS if they have a 40+ MH. When I take my 42' into CA I do NOT have to have a special licence... it's called reciprocity of licence but there is no reciprocity of length. Maybe with a four door Jeep behind a 45' MH you could be over 65'. I have traveled thousand of miles at 42' (with others that were 45') in Canada and never had an issue plus I've seen a bunch of Canadian tour buses that were 45'.

Maryland restricts motorhomes longer than 40' from most non-interstate roads. The District of Columbia prohibits them entirely.