cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Macerator Question

Berner2
Explorer
Explorer
Going camping this week end with friends. They have a new to them MH, their first. It has a macerator, I don't have any experience with one, except helping them run it to make sure the tanks are clean, and I'm wondering about having hook ups.

My thought is that they would use their holding tanks like dry camping and then at some point as they fill up dump the black and then the gray through the macerator and start the process again. Is this the best way use it?

While we're at it, if you have one would you do it again?

Thanks, Terry
24 REPLIES 24

Goatee
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you - since this is built in it can be turned off with a toggle switch. Just want to make sure not to get a clog.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usually the macerator can be removed and a fitting for a standard 3" hose,,, may well already be there, or it can be installed if not.

I use a portable macerator when needed.. else, I use the 3".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Goatee
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm really late getting in on this post so I don't really expect an answer. I found this by searching info on macerators.

I have one that came with my '14 Bounder and detest it. As mentioned previously, it is noisy and the neighbors all know what you're doing.
After a particularly disastrous trip lately, the last straw was when the macerator decided to die a horrible, groaning death.

The unit is in the shop for a myriad of things and one thing they are going to check on is if I can use it without the macerator. It has two toilets so I thought it may be necessary because of that. Any thoughts and opinions?

It WOULD have been a deal breaker for me, i.e. I wouldn't have bought the unit if I'd known it was on there. Lesson I learned: if possible, camp a night in it first before finalizing everything.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Executive wrote:
I've had macerators on my previous coach and on my current one. IMHO, while it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, ( I can buy and install one myself) I would not have a coach without it. Both of mine had a bypass line. The Exec came with one, I had to modify the Dynasty to put one on. The bypass line allows me to leave the grey water open all the time with the black closed. About every fourth day, I close the grey valve before showering. After the showers, I open the black valve and dump, then use the hot shower water to backflush the black. Takes a bit longer to dump than the stinky slinky but it's a cleaner way to dump. I can eat a sandwich while I wait for the tanks to empty. Who's in a hurry anyway......just sayin....Dennis

my sentiments exactly.
bumpy

X3. Would not ever be without one.

Previous coach, I did have a Robin Williams Moment, when the fitting came off a cheap camping world slinky while dumping. Not fun. And using the slinky is always a smelly experience, and then even if you couple the ends together, you still have this sh!!!y thing in the basement, who needs that?

Our knight has a bypass type permanent system, with a techma macerating toilet. I use 2 ply toilet paper, the good stuff. The temcha has been flawless (knock on wood) and the sanicon, after 4 years I had to rebuild it this summer. Relay failed, macerator had a lot of hair, and the impellor blades were just gone, nothing left but the shaft. Judging from the sound with the new impellor, this is the first time there has been blades on that thing in my ownership.
With the new impellor, pumpout is almost as fast as a slinky!

I would never ever ever go back. No pyramid of death, the techma takes care of that. nothing comes out but brown water. No paper, no chunks, no smell either.

I do follow the suggestion above...
dump the black, then shut off the pump and open both valve to eaqualize the tanks, then shut the gray and dump black again.
Then dump the gray.

I use the geo method once a month or so, and after a summer of that my (seelevel) sensors are working great again.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
WTD44 wrote:
After 35 + years of RV'ing, IMHO a macerator is way more work than they are worth. One big exception might be if you have to go a long ways or uphill to the dump pipe. They are so slow that you leave a lot of "stuff" in the bottom of the tank unless you take the time to flush it several times. Further, if you dry camp and use the public tank dump on a Sunday afternoon, you will have a line up of very unhappy folks who just want to get home and not wait for you to pump stuff out. And finally, I have never had to perform any maintenance on my 3 " dump hose while a macerator will eventually plug up or seize up no matter how careful you are.
WayneD

X2. I gave up on mine after it clogged up with hair. It's more trouble than it's worth.

3 inch stinky slinky is the way to go, but if you want a totally clean and oder free experience, I'd recommend the sewer solution. But that's slow as well and it wastes water.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
I've had macerators on my previous coach and on my current one. IMHO, while it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, ( I can buy and install one myself) I would not have a coach without it. Both of mine had a bypass line. The Exec came with one, I had to modify the Dynasty to put one on. The bypass line allows me to leave the grey water open all the time with the black closed. About every fourth day, I close the grey valve before showering. After the showers, I open the black valve and dump, then use the hot shower water to backflush the black. Takes a bit longer to dump than the stinky slinky but it's a cleaner way to dump. I can eat a sandwich while I wait for the tanks to empty. Who's in a hurry anyway......just sayin....Dennis

my sentiments exactly.
bumpy

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Farmer Boots, Monaco must have changed the macerator system by the time we bought our 2008 Monaco Dynasty. Ours does not make hardly any noise, just a hum with a little grinding noise.

And, you must use the 'right' toilet paper. I found the regular TP at Walmart works great and dissolves really easily (I tested it first in a cup of water before I bought it).... it just fell apart when wet (perfect!). It amazes me that COLEMAN camping toilet paper is $4.99 a four pack....Walmart paper was less than $1.50 if I remember correctly and larger rolls too! LOL!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

farmer_boots
Explorer
Explorer
I am with WTD44, the bypass always plugged up causing the gray tank to fill up so you have to constantly check the tank levels. The thing is noise so everyone knows what you are doing. I am sure it bothers the next door neighbors. If someone uses too much TP it will plug the thing up stopping the motor, now you have big problems (get the bucked and gloves it's going to get messy). I finely removed mine to make room for other stuff. It's in the barn so if I ever sell the rig I can put it back on. Never had much trouble with the 3" hose. I know some of you have special conditions that may require it but in 25+ years of camping the 3" hose worked fine for me.
2006 Monaco Diplomat

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
The macerator can let you dump at a public dump without connecting water or flushing with water. I do as the Executive does, I dump my black, open my grey and let it equalize with my black (takes a minute or so). Then I dump my black again. The grey water, usually soapy, does a good job of flushing the black tank.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a macerator I use to dump at home 80 ft away uphill a few ft.
For this it works fine.

I never use it if I can use a 3" hose. Here's why. It dumps much slower than a 3" so you have to rinse many more times to get the tank clean.

They wear out and and or jam so you have to take them apart every few years to replace the impeller and clean hair off the shaft.

If a kid or a woman puts anything other than body waste in the toilet, it will jam, leaving you with a couple gallons of raw sewage to deal with.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Having the macerator has saved me a couple of times. Sometimes, the sewer connections are SO far back my slinky will not reach as I can go to about the end of the motorhome (back bumper area). The macerator will go a little further so that will dictate which one I use.

Also, the macerator end cap has a thread on the end so I can go as far as a length of hose will let me (50/100/200 feet).... depending on how much hose I need. I don't have an extra slinky.

I have had to clean out the macerator once as a friend's son visiting put a piece of gum on the toilet. Our toilet is also a macerator toilet so we have the double wammy when I use the wet bay macerator too!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Macerator has plus and minus just like 3" hose has pluses and minuses. But I would rather have the macerator than not. I can always in hook macerator and use hose.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

WTD44
Explorer
Explorer
After 35 + years of RV'ing, IMHO a macerator is way more work than they are worth. One big exception might be if you have to go a long ways or uphill to the dump pipe. They are so slow that you leave a lot of "stuff" in the bottom of the tank unless you take the time to flush it several times. Further, if you dry camp and use the public tank dump on a Sunday afternoon, you will have a line up of very unhappy folks who just want to get home and not wait for you to pump stuff out. And finally, I have never had to perform any maintenance on my 3 " dump hose while a macerator will eventually plug up or seize up no matter how careful you are.
WayneD
'07 H.R. Scepter > P A Q
Cummins 400 ISL
Alison 6 speed World
08 CR-V
Wife and,
Sparky the Wonder Dog