cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mountain bike storage ideas

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
We're beginning the shopping process for our first RV. We'll be living in it full-time. Here's the difficult spot we're in:

We have (2) $5000+ mountain bikes that we will be bringing with us. Obviously we won't be leaving them outside on a bike rack (far too easy and tempting to steal). Aside from a toy hauler Class A, does anyone have any good ideas of how to store the bikes? Since we'll be riding them several times each week, we don't want to have to take them entirely apart each time we store them. I'd be ok with removing the front wheel if needed, but if we could leave them intact, that'd be idea. The bikes are about 4' high, 6' long, and the handlebars are over 2' wide.

Any great ideas out there?
follow our travels at:
http://themoreweexplore.com
44 REPLIES 44

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I put a hitch in the front of my coach and locked the bike rack to the hitch. I have the bike rack where the bike tires sit into a base. I put the bikes on the bike rack and locked them onto the bike rack and hitch. I used heavy duty bike cable locks. You can then cover them if you want to. It works really well.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
This does not have to be a hard problem. I carry 2 bikes with me all the time inside. I remove the front wheels and seat with a quick disconnect and store the in one of my pass thrus. When my GS went with us out west this year I stored another bike in the trunk of the tow car. I would not like to hang them off the ladder or outside either. Some class A's and even some C's have a large pass thru in the rear that goes under the bed where it looks like 2 bikes can be stored.

Linda_B
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2005 Ford Escape that we tow and use a SaveALoad bar from our old pickup. We took the bar apart so it is two pieces. You can get bicycle carrier attachments that go on the bars. We take the front wheels off, lower the seat, and put one bike in forward & one backwards attached to the bars. A bungee cord and a couple of well placed pieces of Velcro keeps them upright and stable. We have wheel bags to protect the spokes of the front wheels while they are off the bikes. We have cross bikes, but also transported a friend's "comfort" bike once. This has worked for us for over 10 years. It also makes it easy to transport the bikes to the trailhead and keeps them clean & safe. You do have to temporarily give up your backseat, but well worth it for us.

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
Normally we pull a big trailer for dirt bikes, mountain bikes and everything else. When we travel without the trailer we throw ours in the basement. Just remove the front wheel
We have a large class A
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good suggestions here, thanks everyone. A trailer would be super convenient, but I fear it'd make it too large to fit into campgrounds. Does anyone here do campgrounds with a trailer behind their class a? What do you do when you're in the campground?
follow our travels at:

djedgar
Explorer
Explorer
We understand Our choice was cl A & put bike in basement. Also look at frt eng (FRED) classAs. Several have large storage bays which could hold two bikes

We did rent a cl C and used the cab over bed for the bike. Rough when bike wet or dirty. But it kept it safe and with custom rack could store 2 singles and then curtain it off from the living qtrs

Good luck shopping
07 Newmar Ventana 3330
02 Honda Sabre
02 Kawa Vulcan Nomad
48 MG TC

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
They make what's called a toy lock that will mount to your Class A, Fifth Wheel of whatever you decide on. Run a couple thick cables around the bikes and cover them up with a nice cover. I have a Fifth Wheel so I put mine ( maybe $500.00 each bikes ) under the front and lock them up good and they stay dry under the pin box.

If a Class A, I really like the trailer idea..... Problem solved and plenty of sheltered, locked storage for many other things and if you are full timing I'm sure the extra room will be used.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion would be a Class A and an enclosed trailer large enough to carry a car, your bikes and associated gear. That way you also have a shop to work on the bikes when the weather is bad.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. Since you said full time I immediately thought class A. You might check out any coach built on a Freightliner Maxim chassis. The basement is absolutely large enough to store bikes if desired. Here is a link to a current model but I believe the chassis has been available for several years Link
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
The only solutions I've seen so far are either a class a or super c toy hauler or 5th wheel toy hauler. I'm planning on getting one of those, unless we discover some better ideas.

I don't want bikes in my living quarters. I don't want them exposed to the elements or theft. I'd be fine with an outdoor storage solution that covers them and keeps them out of sight (like a small rubbermaid "shed").

I like roam1's idea of looking for a rig with a basement that's big enough.

I've also thought of storing them in the toad. I'm just trying to brainstorm ideas in case there's anything I've missed.
follow our travels at:

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't want them inside, you don't want them outside, you don't want to take them apart, you don't want them on a rack, you don't want a toy hauler Class A, but you want to take them? Hum, I'm going to have to think about this one for a while. Is this like one of those puzzles where you have to get the bent nails separated?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take the rack outside, chain it and the front wheels to a tree, the rest chained as necessary to the same tree. A tarp from HF to cover them with. Did it this way for years while the kids were growing up. Still do something similar with my mountain bike.

themoreweexplor
Explorer
Explorer
Where will I store/lock them when I'm living in my RV?

We have a hitch rack that's great for daily transport, but I don't want to leave it outdoors overnight, and I don't want bikes in my kitchen when I'm living in it. 🙂
follow our travels at:

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider a rack and place them inside for travel. Like thisWe had one of those racks similar to what you see outside stores that you place your front tire in that we would set in the isle of our trailer and then put 4 bikes in it. Worked great.

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Some class A rigs may have a basement big enough