cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tires on Wednesday

artillery6
Explorer
Explorer
Having new tires installed on Wednesday. Used the FMCA Michelin Advantage Program and saved over $110 a tire. Replaced Goodyears that were 7 years old and starting to river. I'm an aviator and know for a fact that if you don't take care of machines they can hurt you. Be safe. The FMCA Michelin deal really saved me a lot of money and is so easy to use. Did the whole thing right in the tire shops office in less than 5 minutes.
26 REPLIES 26

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have done battle with a couple of tire shops over setting the pressure at the max on the sidewall rather than the recommended from the inflation table with accurate corner weights.

I have given up, if they won;t set them where I want them, I drive away and do it myself. I am on OEM Michelins date is xx11. I plan to have them inspected in 2016 and decide whether to go another 2 years based on the report. Last time around (prior coach) I replaced Goodyears with Michelins based on price. I got an estimate of the FMCA price and went to my Goodyear dealer and asked if he could come close. his response was "go back to Michelin". There was no fleet program he could fit me into. The difference on 19.5 inch tires was $100 per and that was three years ago.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
the fact that some folks admit that goodyears rivering is okay is incredible. a major design flaw.
2020 Integra 36U
can am spyder or can am commander
BE PREPARED- NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
artillery6.....I'm curious what they set the tire pressure at. Had some new tires put on a couple years or so ago and they set them to 110 lb.

By the Michelin weight chart mine should have been set to 90lb but I decided to leave them at that pressure for a 200 mile trip just to see what would happen.

Beat me to death!
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
parkmanaa wrote:

I started using Michelins in the 70's, and have used only Michelin since (a couple of sets of BFGoodrich after Michelin bought them).
NEVER had a tire failure in the almost 50 years of usage on cars, pickups and RVs.

I started having RV's in the early 60"s. Cars in the 50's
In all those years I only have had 2 blow outs.
Both were with 22.5" Michelin XRV zipper blow outs. 😞
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
artillery6 wrote:
Having new tires installed on Wednesday. Used the FMCA Michelin Advantage Program and saved over $110 a tire. Replaced Goodyears that were 7 years old and starting to river. I'm an aviator and know for a fact that if you don't take care of machines they can hurt you. Be safe. The FMCA Michelin deal really saved me a lot of money and is so easy to use. Did the whole thing right in the tire shops office in less than 5 minutes.
Sounds like a good deal to me too.

PatStab
Explorer
Explorer
We have always used Michelins and put a new set on the motorhome last year, never had a problem with them. Not cheap but quality usually isn't.

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Put Michelin on my Jeep Liberty, in 2 years time they had checking all over the sides. Dealer said nothing they could do, Michelin would not warranty. The next were Goodyears. No more Michelin car tires for me. My XRV'S at 9 years don't have a crack in them, will try for one more summer, than change them. Most likely to another set of Michelin XRV's. MH stays in garage when not being used, and I think that also saves your tires.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
topflite51 wrote:
I always find it amazing how one person's best is another's worst nightmare. :S
Another Outstanding Effort Topflight! I also used the FMCA / Michelin Fleet Tire Program last year!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
UsualSuspect wrote:
I always chuckle when I see folks post that the Michelin is a superior tire and better than the others. I have yet to read a study that shows Michelin is superior to any other truck tire out there, a search of the forums here and a few other places have them blow out just like any other tire, and more than some of the other brands folks use.

I figure that is because when some owners pinch pennies with tires and buy the cheapest Chinese or Korean brand of tire, they are too embarrassed to ever say they had a problem.
After all, this is the forum where people have said they check their tire pressures by hitting the tires with a bat.
According to the posts on this forum, every RV owner babies his tires and any tire failure is always the manufacturer's fault. :B

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
I always chuckle when I see folks post that the Michelin is a superior tire and better than the others. I have yet to read a study that shows Michelin is superior to any other truck tire out there, a search of the forums here and a few other places have them blow out just like any other tire, and more than some of the other brands folks use.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I have Michelins on my Cadillac and haven't even got 22000 miles on them and they are about shot...that's horrible for mileage.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO you made a very wise decision, ARTILLERY6.
I started using Michelins in the 70's, and have used only Michelin since (a couple of sets of BFGoodrich after Michelin bought them).
NEVER had a tire failure in the almost 50 years of usage on cars, pickups and RVs.
People say they have "luck" with Michelins. It isn't luck, it's Michelin's never ending dedication to quality and quality control.
To a large degree tires are at the mercy of the owners maintenance, but I honestly believe the Michelins are more forgiving when the maintenance is something less than perfect.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
To the OP....GREAT JOB on putting your family's safety and peace of mind over a few dollars!!!...

I've used the FMCA experience for my steer tires and agree it's a great program and allows us to save $$$ on excellent tires. When my Goodyears need replacement, I'll visit the FMCA program again.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
White Tiger had a full set of Goodyear 9R22.5 when I bought it. 10 years old, rivered and one of them not holding air (turned out to be a valve extender). I priced Michelins and went with Yokohamas instead. 16 ply H rating.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox