cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie seeking help-Just purchased first RV !!

Bailey_Travis
Explorer
Explorer
We are super excited that we purchased out first RV (B class). I am needing to buy insurance next. What advice can you share with me? This forum has been a pleasure to follow with great information so thank you in advance!!!
10 REPLIES 10

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance coverage and rates in Canada are different. I do believe that topless liability insurance of 300,000 is in my view way too low. I carry 5 million dollars in liability. Reason? While insurance in Canada tends to be a no-fault system with limitations, in the US, as you know, people sue big time and a million or two is not unusual. I carry 2 million on my Bimmer here and 5 on my PW. Costs a bit more but worth it. If OP is storing the new RV during winter or for a longer period, we have in Canada a cheap storage policy and probably the same in USA as otherwise you are wasting money if your RV is parked for a long time. Congratulations, Bailey to you and yours. B Rvs are great choices in most cases.

Al

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
I worry about changing insurance companies after not having any accident in 40 years then have an accident would I get dropped?
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

Explorer
Explorer
I asked your same question on this site when we were buying and had the most positive responses about Progressive and that is what we went with. I have only heard good things about the claims experience. Make sure the insurance company knows you are talking about an RV - as the vin# often comes up as just a van. i liked that when I talked to Progressive they knew exactly what they needed to have in place for an RV in the policy which was not my experience when I spoke with the company that has my car insurance (which is one of the big companies - and I have been with them for 40 years). Plus the rate from Progressive was a lot less for better coverage.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

crimmps49
Explorer
Explorer
We have American Family and just did a claim on our windshield. They have been great and it is fully covered. There is no windshield that can be found for it, so it is being made. We do have our stick house and other cars with them as well, so we get a great deal, which also includes towing. I would start with whatever insurance company you are presently with and go from there.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Cobra21 wrote:
Check with your current car ins. co.
I have Progressive for my vehicles and am satisfied with them.

Just had my first claim - this is the true proof of a good insurance company

I can not say enough about Progresssive - they were wonderful
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Jim_Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
I have State Farm - they only charge me for 6 months usage since I'm not full timing.
Jim Tewell
2008 Roadtrek 210 Popular

topless
Explorer
Explorer
I have State Farm it's about $400 a year for full coverage, $500 deductible, $300,000 liability.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming you are asking about insurance and an Emergency Road Side Service, Not all insurance policies are equal, nor is yearly price necessarly the most accurate indicator as to the worth of a policy. Do a comparison and contrast of a couple of different policies and what service each will provide:
1. Will they tow all RV's and trailers?
2. Do you have to pay up front when the emergency road side service trucks arrives to give you service?
3. How many miles will they tow you without starting to charge you by the mile.
4. Will they only tow you to a repair shop that can actually fix your problem
5. what are the exclusions, are there any parts of your RV that are not covered
6. Better to know the answers to all these questions before you hit the road rather then find out when you are out traveling.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! Hope it brings you great enjoyment.

We had coverage initially through USAA (which covered our car) but at renewal time, due to a rate hike, we switched to Good Sam RV coverage this year which was best price we found after some shopping around. Policy issued by Allied. Haven't had cause to use it, I'm thankful to say, having returned yesterday from a fairly uneventful (except in a good way) 8,000 mile trip.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Check with your current car ins. co.
I have Progressive for my vehicles and am satisfied with them.