cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on Travel Assist Insurance

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use Travel Assist Insurance and/or is there any other way to get your Diesel Pusher driven home if you have a physical problem on the road and can't drive it?

My DW Can't drive our 40" DP.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
18 REPLIES 18

hostage
Explorer
Explorer
floridaguy wrote:
dverstra wrote:
FMCA offers it included with their membership dues.

I'm looking at the differences in plans right now. I see on the FMCA forum this being discussed and it was pointed out that the FMCA benefit only kicks in if the medical facility that you're in cannot provide the care you need. Seems to me that makes it worthless. My reading of the GS Travel Assist does not have this "Got ya."

YES BUT what the OP asked about specifically was quote:
""Does anyone use Travel Assist Insurance and/or is there any other way to get your Diesel Pusher driven home if you have a physical problem on the road and can't drive it?""

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
In the case of a medical emergency, the FMCA benefit returns dependents, pets, and the RV home, which is a nice benefit included in membership fees. It does not, however, offer any benefit to return the person with a medical issue. Be sure to keep this distinction in mind.

From their documents:

Emergency Medical Evacuation/Repatriation The plan will pay Covered Expenses incurred up to the maximum stated in the Schedule of Benefits if any covered Injury or Illness commences during the Period of Coverage that results in a Medically Necessary Emergency Medical Evacuation or Repatriation (Your medical condition warrants immediate transportation from the medical facility where You are located to the nearest adequate medical facility where medical Treatment can be obtained). This benefit must be approved and arranged by Seven Corners in consultation with the local attending Physician. Emergency Medical Evacuation or Repatriation means: a) the Insured Person’s medical condition warrants immediate transportation from the place where the Insured Person is located (due to inadequate medical facilities) to the nearest adequate medical facility where medical Treatment can be obtained; or b) after being treated at a local medical facility as a result of a Medical Evacuation, the Insured Person’s medical condition warrants transportation with a qualified medical attendant to his/her Permanent Primary Residence, to obtain further medical Treatment or to recover; or c) both a) and b) above. All transportation arrangements must be by the most direct and economical route.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Hoosier_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
In the case of a medical emergency, the FMCA benefit returns dependents, pets, and the RV home, which is a nice benefit included in membership fees. It does not, however, offer any benefit to return the person with a medical issue. Be sure to keep this distinction in mind.

Sorry to disagree, but FMCAssist is a repatriation insurance that is include in your FMCA dues. It does provide for return of remains or return if you are incapacitated due to medical emergency if you are 100 miles from home. Full timers are considered to be 100 miles from home. It does not pay medical bills.
Hoosier Cruiser

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I'll say is how fortunate I am to have friends who also own RVs and with a phone call would drop everything, get on the next plane out to fly anywhere to help get my rig home, and never ask for a dime.

And I would do it for them even though a few own towables. I guess I could dye my hair or something so no one recognizes me driving a truck pulling a trailer.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming we're not talking about driving an RV all the way across the country....I bet if you asked around at a campground, you'd probably find some nice folks that'd be willing to drive your RV back home for you for little cost other than just paying their expenses (meals, hotels, possibly air fare to get home, etc). We've found over the years that camping, RV folks are (in most cases) really, really nice people, that are willing to help if you ask nicely.

I can also think of several friends we have, very well qualified to drive an RV, that would gladly do this for us if we ever needed such, and all we'd have to do is cover their expenses.

Maybe its different 'cause we don't travel quite as far as some do, but I've never seen this as a service I'd buy insurance for. Waaaay too many other, less expensive options to address this issue if it ever happened.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
There are 1? 2? volunteer retired groups that will drive your RV home for free in the event of any emergency. I think that Escapees has that program, don't remember the other group.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Over the many years I've been participating on this forum there have been cases of people reporting on here that they had a medical emergency and needed to get their RV home. People on this forum volunteered to do it and got the RV home for them. Never saw one report of any issues in using a volunteer from the forum to do it. Now that I'm completely retired I'd help somebody out in need assuming they covered the expenses.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas wrote:
Does anyone use Travel Assist Insurance and/or is there any other way to get your Diesel Pusher driven home if you have a physical problem on the road and can't drive it?

My DW Can't drive our 40" DP.

Call PPL, Houston, TX and ask for the particulars on COACHNET plans.
This is actually people insurance against road hazards and makes no difference what you or your wife is driving and with who it might belong to.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

floridaguy
Explorer
Explorer
dverstra wrote:

I'm looking at the differences in plans right now. I see on the FMCA forum this being discussed and it was pointed out that the FMCA benefit only kicks in if the medical facility that you're in cannot provide the care you need. Seems to me that makes it worthless. My reading of the GS Travel Assist does not have this "Got ya."

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I'd agree you should check out Coachnet.

But in general, there are several situations that would only require a driver and the last I checked there were many companies that charge $1-$2 per mile to transport a RV. And there are many good samaritan groups that offer that service free.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I get garbage from GoodSam every month trying to sell me insurance. Recognize it and recycle.To get home in a medical emergency you must have Veterans, Military or a travel policy which includes transport. Cost of transporting one by airplane across the us is about $15.00/mile.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
dverstra wrote:

X3 and FMCA dues are reasonable + lots of other benefits.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you pay extra for it, instead of joining FMCA? As dverstra said, it is included in the membership cost, plus it has a host of other great benefits.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us