cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevost chassis owners.... need opinions.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided to possibly have a Prevost chassis coach built maybe next year (unless I could find the perfect used one). I know the new Prevost chassis units have the Volvo engines now offered since they were purchased a year or so ago. I can't find online literature on how much HP the Volvo engine has. Is it a good engine?

I'm 99% sure this will be our last coach taking us into the next 20 yrs. I'll then be 75 yrs. old and I think I'll be done with RVing by then.

For those of you who own a Prevost coach, would you prefer a certain conversion company?
Marathon
Liberty
Millennium
Outlaw (just heard of this one in Texas)
Any others?

I know I've said in the past that these are really not camping coaches, more of a trophy coach (no screen doors, etc.)

Do you find that they have just as many issues as the regular coaches?

I know the Detroit Diesels had 525 HP for a 50,000 lb. coach, I thought that was a little low. What is your experience if you have this engine?

Thanks for ALL the input. If we go new, I want a 2015 model.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins
64 REPLIES 64

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
John S. wrote:
I am in the same situation. I do have a FT and it s hard to give it up. Right now I am waning Liberty first Millenium second. Marathon fired a number of people and did not make a new coach for a year. I know a former Marathon guy who is now atNewell. I think Liberty is a bit above the other converters but the big isue you have different is under bay acs and a retarder and as long as you stay two slides or less you an get over the road air. Will not get a coach without that.

John S., I will definitely want four slides. What is 'over-the-road' air and what is the other choice?

MM.
Mr.Mark

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am in the same situation. I do have a FT and it s hard to give it up. Right now I am waning Liberty first Millenium second. Marathon fired a number of people and did not make a new coach for a year. I know a former Marathon guy who is now atNewell. I think Liberty is a bit above the other converters but the big isue you have different is under bay acs and a retarder and as long as you stay two slides or less you an get over the road air. Will not get a coach without that.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
I would research panel delamination some Prevost owners have experienced before buying new or taking delivery of a used unit. Some owners have not been aware they have the problem until found while coach is being serviced.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
JTHarley, congrats on the Prevost! Now you can get back into the Class-A resorts! Ha Ha!!

I sure hope you keep us updated on your experience good and not so good if anything happens.

MM.

For a couple of years anyway :B
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Mark wrote:
If you've never driven one you MUST!!! there is nothing like it for power, comfort and quiet ride.

I have not had the pleasure of driving one but I have been a passenger and I agree with you on the comfort and quiet ride. However most modern high end Prevo conversions have less HP per pound than mid/high end class A units simply because they are insane heavy.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
From what the Prevost web site (prevostcar.com) says, the motorhome versions come with a D13 Volvo engine rated at 500 Hp and 1750 ft-lb of torque. Groos weight is 54,000 pounds. I think it matters little which company does the conversion, since they are built to owner's needs and wants.
Sounds like they would be a bit underpowered compared to the latter-model Country Coach Magnas and Afffinitys with up to 650 Hp and 2050 ft-lbs pulling 52,000 pounds.
Once you have $2M to spend, you can get your coach exactly like you want it.
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
JTHarley, congrats on the Prevost! Now you can get back into the Class-A resorts! Ha Ha!!

I sure hope you keep us updated on your experience good and not so good if anything happens.

MM.
Mr.Mark

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the info folks! I'm going to certainly take my time, check everything out!

I've toured the Marathon Factory in Coburg a couple of years ago. Also toured the Newell showroom in Miami, OK. I'm just not wild about the automatic front door or the bi-fold cargo doors.

Foretravel would certainly be a contender. Especially, if I want a Cummins.

To the person that mention Outlaw conversions....Yes, it's the 'normal' interior that caught my eye. And, ours will have a NORMAL interior if I have one built whatever brand we pick.

I'm really interested in what people in the know say about the Volvo engine. The info provided is a good source, thanks. I sure saw a lot of Volvo trucks on the interstate on my recent trip to Asheville, NC and back to western TN this past weekend (by car).

MM.
Mr.Mark

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
And you are not looking for a British coach?......maybe that one will leak oil too...seriously, right near here is the Featherlite coach company of Suffolk...They have several Previe's right in their yard, literally..I thought you'd end up with a Newell anyway.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

aarondeere
Explorer
Explorer
Not quite apples to apples but on the engine Prevost is using Volvo D13 engines. I have a '13 Mack Pinnacle road tractor with the MP-8 engine which is the same Volvo D13 engine with a few software changes for Mack but identical mechanically. I also am running a 12 automated manual vs a 6sp auto in the Prevost so that might change things a little performance wise. Mine is the 505hp/1750tq and with a gross of 60k it will walk up any hill with no problems holding speed. The low end tq and quietness of the engine are wonderful. DEF usage is very low. I think you'll be very impressed with the engine. Also unless I missed it, it wasn't till 13.5k before I saw my first regen which lasted about 20 minutes. Overall a very nice engine.
Aaron
2010 Dodge 3500
2012 Voltage 3600 Epic

LOG
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark,
That dealership in Texas that has that Outlaw Prevost is now a Foretravel dealership. Foretravel is 98 or 99% of the Prevost luxury and 50% of the cost. Check them out. I know you said Prevost and I really did not want to hack your post, but those Foretravels are really nice and at an unbelievable price.
LOG
2005 Chinook Glacier

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have a 50AMP service where ever you drive that rig. Those all electric coaches love 50AMP service!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought an '05 Prevost today!!! Picking it up in 3 weeks....that being said I've spent the last 6 months researching, looking at coaches and deciding what is important and what it not. There is a great site that is loaded with info. I would join and check it out: http://prevostcommunity.com/index.asp

It was by far the most informative forum on prevost coaches. About converters.

IMHO

Liberty is the rolls royce of Prevost converters and it shows in the price and re-sale values.
Marathon is also a good converter as is Millennium. All of these converters are still in business. Then there is Vantare, Outlaw and a few others. There are also TONS of nice used coaches out there where you won't take that first big hit of depreciation. I wasn't worried at all about the orphan coaches like Royale, Country Coach ect....because all of the orphan coaches now have service centers and techs all over that can service your coach as well as the prevost service centers themselves for any chassis issues. I've owned 6 coaches so far and the prevost is my 7th. If you've never driven one you MUST!!! there is nothing like it for power, comfort and quiet ride. I've had two class A diesels and as you can see in my signature the coach I just sold was a wonderful class 8 truck conversion (which I loved and didn't want to sell) but the DW just never got used to being a passenger in a "truck". Says she was spoiled with the class A co-pilot seats....anyway gotta keep the DW happy so I can stay on the road and tour for extended periods.

Have fun in your search. As I said I spent 6 months and was glad I didn't rush into the decision because my first thoughts, wants and needs evolved as I learned more.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

65FalconLover
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
I have seen an Outlaw coach, they are very nice. Not the whore house glass and mirror stuff

x2 :B

Never owned a Prevost anything and with most certainty never will but in the world of diesels it's not the HP you need to worry about, it's all about torque.

John

Devonm2012
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
I have seen an Outlaw coach, they are very nice. Not the whore house glass and mirror stuff

GREAT comment! Gave me my belly laugh for the day! We thought we were the only ones that did not want to live in a Las Vegas Strip on wheels......minus the stripper pole! (well, they may have that too for all I know!)