cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

REPLACE SOFA/HIDE-A-BED

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of replacing the sofa/ bed with 2 recliner-rockers. This sofa/bed is the most uncomfortable unit devised by man. People say the floor is more comfortable to sleep on. not much better to sit on. We don't need the bed any more, so the recliners seem to be the best option. Any thoughts on replacement brands? Not looking for any super high quality. Trying to stay in the $450-500 range per unit. Has anyone bought regular living room recliners instead of rv specific units. Any issues? Thanks. Wireman
16 REPLIES 16

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
We got two Euro style recliners from Costco..and they work well...:C
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Honda Element following us :W
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
:C Rallys attended
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Quartzite, Az. '10...but not again:R
Good Sams "The Rally" Redmond Or. '11
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same issues with the sofa bed so ditched it (donated to the gardener) and as there are only two of us in the RV, this is what we did..

The recliner is a narrow, powered recliner from La-z-boy - the chair and ottoman is just from the local furniture store and is very lightweight. Neither are used for travel so we did not bolt them down and I removed the seatbelts.

And finally we installed a 3rd portable AC unit in the space left so we could handle Desert summers!

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
Lazyboy Recliners

We took the foldout hideabed blow up mattress couch out immediately after purchasing our 2012 Winnebago Sightseer. Easy to take out. It comes out in pieces.

We bought a little smaller recliners and with a 12 inch table between them, they fit exactly in the same space as the couch. BEST DECISION WE HAVE EVER MADE.

We turn them facing each other when we get ready to bring the slide in and just turn them back out once we arrive and the slide goes out.

As you can see they fit perfectly and we love the comfort.

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. We have to make do with our budget so leather recliners are out of the picture. Looked around this weekend and definately will go with regular house recliners. We have a limited space of 83". 90% of the recliners out there are the new wide plushy recliners. 2 of those won't fit. Have narrowed the choice down to a couple. 1 at Lazy Boy and 1 at Jeromes here in So Cal. Also found a love seat with 2 rocker recliners and a center console that may work.The backs come off so there should be no problem getting any of them through the 24" door. I could buy some on line but the only way to see if any are right is to be able to sit in them. Not in a hurry, taking it 1 step at a time. Wireman

dave_from_mesa
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing I missed the most where we were on a trip was not having my recliner.
When we bought our new MH we took the small couch out and I bring a LazyBoy from our house. I think all of them you can take the back off. Have a neighbor help me with the bottom. I store it in the spot where the couch was then pull it out on the tile when we are parked.
Works for me.
dave from mesa
Dave & Judy
2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT
2007 Honda CR-V as a toad
Vietnam Vets. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes you may get compensation.

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
I had a client that ordered Lane recliners and ottomans.
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

youngone
Explorer
Explorer
I just received my special ordered lazy-Boy leather Powered recliner for my house.They delivered it in 2 pieces The back slides right in and out of the bottom brackets making it easier to move. With this setup I think this type of recliner would go in and out of rv door.

LittleJimsSon
Explorer
Explorer
Wireman: If you think you need to swap out the sofa--you do! We did that and replaced it with 2 swivel glider chairs from Costco. MUCH, much less cost than RV furniture. The chairs are heavy enough to not move while traveling, but you can always thread the sofa seat belts around the chairs if need be. Makes our rig much more comfortable. Good luck!
One measure of a person is how they treat someone who can be of no particular use to them.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our sofa in the slide out section with dual leather recliner. Much better than the sofa bed. Had to squeeze the sides in to get in the door way.
I had 5 guys helping. Now if we have guests they have to sleep in the recliners
samsontdog:o:W

idlemind
Explorer
Explorer
La-Z-Boy has a recliner/rocker called Harbortown, great chair you can get it with a swivel base if you wanted that. The back comes off so it is easy to get into the coach. Come in vinyl, leather, or fabric. Ckeck it out

RLHAMILTON
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our sofabed with 2 Euro chairs with foot stools we purchased relatively economically on line. Very happy with result. Not as big a task as originally thought. Good luck!
DICK & JUDY HAMILTON
2012 WINNEBAGO JOURNEY
2017 EQUINOX TOAD
LIFETIME GOOD SAM MEMBER, FMCA, PP AMERICA
FMCA MEMBER F-386544

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
We are right now searching for 2 new recliners to replace the two recliners that came with our trailer. The two that we already have are from a place called Williamsburg Furniture in Nappanee, IN. But, they are actually made in China.

They are vinyl, not leather, and we use them a lot since we are snowbirds. The finish on the vinyl is wearing where a person's head rests against it. So I would suggest you at least give some consideration to buying leather instead of vinyl.

The chairs we have are kind of a knock-off a line of recliners called STRESSLESS.

Stressless is a company in Norway that makes premium recliners, as in $2,000 to $3,000 per chair. These kinds of chairs sit on a smaller diameter but heavy weight platform, as opposed to the giant disk approach taken by Lazyboy. I do not know how they do it, but these chairs pretty much can't be tipped over. It also makes them easy to move around when closing slideouts or getting at storage behind them. I guess what I have learned so far from our shopping is we do not want recliners with ordinary post type feet. We want something similar to what we have, but in leather. That, in turn, would be similar to the Stressless approach. But we do want to pay anything close to that kind of money. So the search continues.

Most small recliners are about 30 inches wide, and 30 inches deep. For a bigger person this is okay, but not great. I sat in a small Stressless recliner yesterday and my shoulders kind of covered up the whole chair back. The medium size made more sense.

I wish I had an actual recliner manufacturer to suggest, but we are still working on through our options. However, if you Google Stressless you will see what I mean about the round base versus four post type legs.

As far as the hide a bed/love seat we have, I bought a 3/4 inch, four foot wide, pre-sanded piece of birch plywood at Home Depot and put it under the cushions. I had my doubts that this was going to work, but it did make the sofa 100% more comfortable. You just might want to try that option before removing the sofa.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to try the recliners as they are not all alike. Lay-z-boy comes to mind. Also be sure you can get them thru the door!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Roger_Kneeland
Explorer
Explorer
I would be especially careful about the mounting bolt access if the present sofa / future recliners are located on a slide out ( as mine is) . Keep us posted as to your success ... I'm sure that many folks have similar ideas.

Your 100% right about the uncomfortable sleeping on the original equipment units ...much rather sleep in a recliner !!!

Roger
Roger & Gail
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36B V10
2001 Chevy Tracker 4Dr
G/Retriever "Captain" , Maltese "Annie"
Valparaiso IN