cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rinse your sewer hoses when leaving full hookup site?

chilly81
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this is common knowledge, but searching I couldn't find this specific info - just general guides on dumping.

I use dump stations more often than not so when I'm at a full hookup site, I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do with my hoses after that last dump through the site hookup before I take off. At a dump station, I'd rinse the hoses with the non-potable water there. But at a site, it seems uncouth to put your 'icky water' hose on the h2o tap at the site to rinse your sewer hoses. So I've been just making sure I have plenty of gray, and letting that be the rinse. It's not awful... a little of that gray water smell, but no brown bits if you get my drift. Would prefer a rinse though....

So what do most people do with sewer hoses when unhooking from a full hookup site?
55 REPLIES 55

cubmaster252
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I just flush mine well with grey water and don't worry about it.

Ditto. We just hold the gray full and dump that after the black is dumped. Never had an issue.
2015 Crossroads Zinger 32QB
2015 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 QUAD CAB with HD Tow Package
Nights camped in 2015 - 33
Nights camped in 2016 - 17

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
While I do dump black first and wouldn't stick the drinking water hose into the sewer hose, I often wonder how many of the people who have elaborate dump rituals grew up in the suburbs vs those that grew up on a farm.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a 2nd hose which has backflow preventers on it DO NOT insert small (Supply) hose into sewer hose, hold it at lesst 4 times it's diamater above the sewer hose when rinsing.

I will make sure there is a "hump" at the outlet end, then fill the sewer hose with fresh water and lift the Inlet end, thus "Flushing" the entire hose.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
Get one of these Sewer Solution and never have to worry about rinsing a slinky again. A separate water hose can be left hooked to it and used to dump and rinse every time.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I have a quick disconnect on my black tank flush line and similar to some others, I use that line to flush the sewer hose after I dump the grey tank.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I first open our master dump valve, then the black valve. When the black finishes, close the master valve and open the gray valve to back wash the black tank with gray water. Close the gray valve, open the master valve and let the black drain again. Close the black, open the gray for the final hose rinse. Close the all valves, disconnect and drain the hose, connect the ends together and stow it in the waste bay. Wipe hands with hand sanitizer and get on down the road. I'm just rinsing the hose, not sterilizing it...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Before I start dumping, disposable rubber gloves go on, white hose goes in the bay and blue hose goes on spicket. Waste hose gets rinsed. Blue hose gets rinsed.

At setup, I too spray and rinse spicket before attaching white hose.

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 15' garden hose with nozzle attached that I do the final rinse of hose. Both inside & out if there is dirt parking.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I prefer GRAY when denoting a 'color'
I prefer GREY when referencing dirty water

I dump BLACK tank, use tank flush and watch the clear adapter at dump line and then dump GREY. Disconnect hose(s) and store in sewer compartment that has an open mesh floor. They air dry by time I get to next place/next use
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
When at an RV park, I use a 25 foot coiled garden hose connected to a Camco Sewer Hose Rinser.

I leave the sewer hose connected to the elbow at the sewer hole. I disconnect the sewer hose at the MH and connect the rinser to it and rinse the hose back into the sewer hole.

I use the coiled (green colored) garden hose so as not to confuse it with drinking water hose. Also, my drinking water supplies and sewer supplies are stored in different bays. I don't co-mingle them.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Black, then gray and call it a day. Seriously, if you run enough gray water, there is no need to flush with fresh water. Just make sure your hose is completely drained before you disconnect so you don't spew any contents around the campsite.

x2 and 3 and 4 !!!!!!
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I just flush mine well with grey water and don't worry about it.

I'm another believer in this method. After all, you're not going to drink out of that hose. 🙂
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
After I dump my black tank I rinse my hose out!

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours as many/most have a tank flushing system, that you connect a hose to and fill the tanks flush black first as water is diverted to that tank and let run for five minutes after tank stops flowing sewage. Hoses like Rhino that have, transucent or clear elbow makes it easy to observe. Close tank and let about five gallons, reccomended, into tank close, flip lever to gray tank and open gray tank let it clear and continue to flush with fresh water for a minute or two. Close valve and let a gallon or two flow into gray tank. turn off fresh water. Give aminute for any accumulated to drain off disconnect sewer hose cap one end collapse and cap other end. Take fresh water hose for septic and clean off any dirt on the sewer outer hose and if time let it dry a bit. It there is enough time, such as as full hook up site. I let hose remain open a bit an dry inside some. Tend to fresh water hose, to flush tanks and make sure wet bay is rinsed and spotless. Leave open to dry as you tend to jacks and things to leave. The shower soaps and shampoo and laundry soap and softener, pus the rinse leaves the sewer hose smelling fresh and clean,from a distance. I don't sniff to check. 🙂
At dump stations it can get hectic and blocking a lot of anxious to leave people is not good. Have tanks filled when you get there. Surprisingly a lot of dump stations only have a shot hose with no end, Yo have you hose ready to change or if it can't be taken off Just drain black and have wife runs some clear through the toilet by holding the lever down, when the black tank get toward empty. It's better than nothing. Drain gray tank, use gloves and cap, tank end of sewer hose, collapse the hose and cap other end and stow. Tend to water hose.
The dump station hose, they figure,must be, is to wash down any spills.
They make a clear straight and clear bend sewer hose connector to attach a water hose to flush your tanks. Water squirts in and everything goes out the sewer hose. Works rather well, if you have room or it. Ir you don't put it between two shot sections from tank then main sewer hose.
We always have liquid hand soap and roll of paper towels in wet bay and spray bottle of cleaner. The hose is clean inside and out and the wet bay iss cleaned with it and the hose if need be and there is always some leakage from the hose connector to flsuh quick connector. It has a screw on container for santizer pills that dissolve as water is sprayed into the tanks. Cheap Chlorine tablets, work as well if you need them.
One thing is sewer hose ends will leak or come apart under the pressure of a full tank, at either end.
Make sure they are screwed on or down or held down firmly. Nothing like a Robin Williams.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've always carried an extra hose for gray water use only...or washing the trailer or car.

I've started using the Sewer Solution and it is just so much less messy. Granted, I would not use it in places that are having water problems as it does use a little bit more water. But, I empty/flush the black tank. Close the valve, open gray tank and drain and then use then flush out the Sewer Solution drain line. Then, proceed to pack everything up in the appropriate storage bins.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption