cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV breakdown advice

dsa3778
Explorer
Explorer
We are fairly new to Rv'ing and are planning a 2 week vacation soon where we will be pretty far from home. We have a class A Fleetwood Flair, 35ft. What have other peoples' experiences been if your huge motorhome breaks down? Can just any tow truck tow a vehicle of that size? Do regular mechanics work on them or do you have to find someone that works specifically on RV's? We had a situation on the way home from purchasing it (8 hours from home) where it had to be towed and we had the hardest time trying to find someone that could handle towing something that large. Ended up that we had to have a trucking company who works on semi trucks come and tow us, and since everything was closed, he took it to his shop, and was actually able to fix our problem himself(radiator hose broke). Is this normally going to be the case? (Having to find someone other than just a car towing company to tow us) and also, who fixes them (regular car mechanics)? We now have AAA on the vehicle and that helps peace of mind, but I am just concerned that they won't even be able to locate someone to help us.
22 REPLIES 22

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I had Good Sam however, at the time they did not cover boat or utility trailers so I switched to Coach Net.

I did call Good Sam one time to find the closest place to fix a slow leak no tow needed, never have had to use Coach Net.
I have free Motor Home towing through Hartford Insurance but I want RV experienced roadside assistance so pay the extra.

You can compare coverage on line, you can't go wrong both are good.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

G_Lewis
Explorer
Explorer
I have Good Sams. Don't move that motorhome without a roadside assistance policy....both companies mentioned are very good.
George Lewis
Boerne, TX
'99 Fleetwood Bounder 34J
Ford V10

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
We have Good Sam, and it covers all the cars and the MH. However, we also have two years of roadside assistance from Ford for the MH, two years from Honda for the new CR-V and two years from Toyota on our six month old Venza.

The only one we pay for is Good Sam, but I wouldn't travel without it. One flat tire in BFE on a holiday weekend would cure anyone!

Elizabeth
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

Islandtime
Explorer
Explorer
Just a question on Coach Net or Good Sams. If I'm reading this correctly, CoachNet does cover all your vehicles (personal car, motorcyles), but Good Sam's has a separate policy for that. So you would need to buy two policies?

I am looking at getting one of these, but not sure which would be better.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
coachnet for us. Never leave home without it.

As for the off topic oil change question, once a year is typically good.
Check your manual. a gasser would for sure be as often, or more often than a car. A DP is typically annual or 15k, but check your manual.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

dsa3778
Explorer
Explorer
What do people recommend as far as how often to change oil in the RV? I imagine it is more miles than recommended for a car?

GTN_and_Catz
Explorer
Explorer
BobR wrote:
Coach-Net might be a better choice since they offer phone support for technical issues. Being new to the RV, that feature might come in handy.

X2

I've used the tech line a couple of times and they've been very helpful.
Gene
2003 36' Rexhall RexAir
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Kar Kaddy SS
Blue Ox Aventa II
2 Ragdolls
1 Tabby

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-Net might be a better choice since they offer phone support for technical issues. Being new to the RV, that feature might come in handy.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Coach Net! RV repair shops can usually handle your repairs or know someone who can.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

dsa3778
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I looked at both and they both look awesome. I will definitely have peace of mind on our trip 🙂

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice here. Coach-Net or Good Sam roadside assistance. Check both out.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Rookie Rver :C here! Good question. The one time I needed a tow my insurance company did the coordinating of getting me help. It was also late on a Sunday and everyone was closed. One of the questions the insurance company asked me was which vehicle. Thinking back on it my assupmption is they wanted to know so they would be able to get the right towing equipment to me. Yes it turned out to be a towing company that tow trucks. I was also taken to their local shop and they were able to fix it. Get this.......it was a $15 throttle cable that broke. The challenge was waiting for the part for four days. The actual labor to replace the cable took less than fifteen minutes!
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good sam/coachnet

check belts
check hoses (springy not mushy)
check spare tire
make sure you have a jack and able to remove tires
make sure oil looks good
make sure plenty of coolant
check tire pressure on all tires and spare

Other than that, roadside assistance is there.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
No, not just any tow truck will do it. That is why I don't leave home without CoachNet. They know all about my motorhome, and what is required tow, or fix it. And they have their contracted facilities through out the US and Canada that are ready to aid you. It's the best bang for tbe buck out there!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”