cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scan Gauge II

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of purchasing a winnebago Cl B+ and I do not know anything about the V10 engines. In my pickup I run the SGII to monitor engine and there are some must monitors. Does anyone run a SG and what if any are the needed other than trans temp that need to be monitored?

What if any gauges are suggested? The SG will monitor all temps since there is no turbo to monitor, fuel pressure I dont know if the SG will monitor a gas engine FP or not.

But just thought I ask.
14 REPLIES 14

gkas
Explorer
Explorer
Kemahsabe wrote:
Another option is to use an OBDII Bluetooth adapter ($16) to send the data to your smartphone or tablet. Use the Android app 'Torque' to display the data. You could use your computer instead of phone if you want.

I am also using Torque. It is MUCH cheaper than ScanGauge II. I have both, but mostly use Torque. The great part is you can make it a dedicated gauge by using that old phone you threw in a drawer. It's easier to read, and has a scrollable screen. When you place the gauges, you can choose the size.
My photos: http://mikekazphotography.com/Gerry/GalleryIndex/index.html

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
The SG II is quite easy to set up. Just plug in and push the buttons to select gauges or enter fillup info. I used velcro to attach it to the dash and it fell off. I just leave it in the cup holder right now. It helped to talk to the Scan Gauge guy at a GS Rally. He told me about monitoring MPG by using Average and Current and then trying to keep Current as close to Average as possible. I also use the battery monitor sometimes. Only 4 gauges can be displayed at one time but you can switch them around. I like having it as a gadget but it is not essential.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
On our '00 ('99 chassis), I use RPM, Engine temp, average & instant MPG. Or I might select IA (Incoming Air temp) to monitor the outside air temp.
We have no tach in the instrument cluster (Bad Ford!) but we've found the other gauge one might think they depend on - the temp gauge. It is an idiot gauge - it moves from the bottom to a specific point as the engine warms up. When climbing hills on hotter days, the clutch fan kicks in so we know it is running warm. The SG shows the normal temp of about 195ยฐ (if memory serves) but will range up to 215ยฐ or so before the clutch fan kicks on.
The temp gauge in the dash never moves beyond that specific point. (Double bad Ford!)

There are other devices for the smart phones, but I like a dedicated device. It is compact and fits in where I've placed it:
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We set up the scan gauge to read the following parameters.
1. TPS: When using cruise control the Throttle position will indicate when the transmission will shift down on a hill. I can tape the brake and hold it in over drive longer by allow some speed to drop slightly while going up the hills.
2. FIA: Fresh air intake will give us an idea of the outside temperature. When traveling on the highway it is about 2 degrees cooler that the intake temperature
3. MPG: Use this to adjust driving to current conditions to get the best fuel economy.
4. Ave MPG: To get an idea of our overall economy or lack of. Interesting to see how terrain, road conditions, and weather impact overall economy.

We use the GPS for MPH info and it shows the legal limit...keeps me out of trouble ;-).

Plan to program in trans temp but haven't done it yet. So far have not felt the need to monitor it, but there are trips where that info would be very useful.

Calisdad
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great tool. How involved is the setup?

I have a '94 E350 E4OD 460 based RV.

thanks

oops- looks like both scan gauge and ultra gauge are only OBD II compliant.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
My RV came with no tach and a standard temp gauge. So this very helpful when driving to see exactly what is going on.

After installing a new clutch fan it gave me the temp when climbing at which RPM. I found that running it in the TOW/Haul mode it ran cooler and more efficiently.

I Use the Scan Gauge II, Water temp, Trans temp, RPM, speed. Also, current and present MPG.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We have an early Scan Gauge, also a GPS. So thats is 3 sources for MPH. The Scan Gauge is the only one that is accurate.

Dusty

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the ScanGauge and UltraGauge and settled on the UG. I set up screen 1 with avg and instantaneous MPG on top. I also monitor voltage, coolant temp, fuel remaining (very accurate), and mileage on oil change on this screen.

Mine calculates the mpg, and fuel used from the air ingested and has proven to be quite accurate. It took a few fillups to fine tune the calibration, but now when I fill up I'm always withing a half gallon of what it said I've used. Mine is set up so that it doesn't even look at the fuel level sensor.

I have the UG installed in my '05 Envoy.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

cmalberto
Explorer
Explorer
Another +1 pm the SG. Eye opening for monitoring my driving habits. I do like knowing my real time MPG. Knowing to slow down or what that head wind is doing to me, etc. There is a sweet spot you will find that feels acceptable for the mpg vs. speed.

I haven't gotten my fuel level sensor to work yet nor have I calibrated it when filling the tank. Not sure of the correlation either. But their are other gauges that you can configure if wanted.
Mickey Alberto
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 320BH

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to use an OBDII Bluetooth adapter ($16) to send the data to your smartphone or tablet. Use the Android app 'Torque' to display the data. You could use your computer instead of phone if you want.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I cannot recommend Scan Gauge highly enough. We just returned from a 4,000+ mile trip, I run ours with coolant and transmission fluid temps along with real time and average mpg. I do care about mileage and the Scan Gauge makes it easy to get the most out of the V-10 beast for the least amount of fuel. For the record we averaged 9.5 for the entire trip and highway cruising at 60 was always 10 or better.

Send me a PM if you need the codes for transmission fluid temps as it is an "X" gauge function that needs to be programmed in (very easy to do). :C

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one of the previous threads on the Scan Gauge II
Scan Gauge II
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Liltippy
Explorer
Explorer
Use Scan Gauge II. Water temp, Trans temp, RPM, speed. Also, current and present MPG.
2011 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2007 HHR Toad with ReadyBrute Elite towbar and brake

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
I use the ScanG II. Had to put in code for the trans temp.
Use the Water temp,rpm and speed.

Stopped worrying about MPG so do not use that feature
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+