cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SCAN GAUGE

mojo41
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had any experience with the Scan Gauge.I've been looking at them for awhile now at the auto parts stores.Camping world now has them on sale for $147.00.What feelings are out their.

Thanks
Larry
25 REPLIES 25

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
FrontRangeRVer wrote:
The Scan Gauge is so 80's! :R

There are so many better wifi and bluetooth ODB2 port code readers that you can record, watch current data, look at and remove codes ON YOUR PHONE OR TABLET without the unbilical cord of the Scan Gauge or other type of ODB2 reader.

The one I have I use with my iPhone 5s via wifi, and it gives me all the gauges that the Scan Gauge gives. I use it to monitor my coolant temp, intake temp, HP and Torque, and most importantly the dual O2 sensors. All on the screen of your phone. Imagine that! :B

I use the LYL Elm 327 Wifi Wireless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader/Scanner purchased for $23, and then $10 for the Dash Commander App for iPhone.
Scan gauge fits nicely on the dash.

So does my cell phone.

Scan Gauge is still great to have for diesels.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
FrontRangeRVer wrote:

There are so many better wifi and bluetooth ODB2 port code readers that you can record, watch current data, look at and remove codes ON YOUR PHONE OR TABLET without the unbilical cord of the Scan Gauge or other type of ODB2 reader.

The one I have I use with my iPhone 5s via wifi, and it gives me all the gauges that the Scan Gauge gives. I use it to monitor my coolant temp, intake temp, HP and Torque, and most importantly the dual O2 sensors. All on the screen of your phone. Imagine that! :B

I use the LYL Elm 327 Wifi Wireless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader/Scanner purchased for $23, and then $10 for the Dash Commander App for iPhone.
Scan gauge fits nicely on the dash.

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
I use my phone for a whole lot of stuff when traveling, calls, pandora ect. So I prefer to have a stand alone unit. Same for navigation, a separate gps unit.

FrontRangeRVer
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
SOLD 2006 Winnebago Voyage 35A (was a GREAT unit)

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Kemahsabe wrote:
Another option is to use an OBDII Bluetooth adapter ($17) to send the data to your smartphone or tablet. Use the Android app 'Torque' to display the data. You could use your computer instead of phone if you want.

Now, that's pretty slick! Do you know if they make one for Diesel engines (diesel don't use OBDII ports)? I looked at the link to the adapters, but they only show OBD2 connections.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

DaDubs
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the bluetooth ODBII and Torque App. $15 for the adapter, $5 for the app. Works like a charm. Plus, if you run a scan, it will automatically look up the codes and tell you what they are.
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost
2012 Keystone Passport 2910BH
Chris, Kyla, Brooke(daughter, 20), Griffin(son, 7), Maddie (daughter, 5),Boozer(14 yr old Shih-Tzu)

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought one from Amazon, hoping to use it on a trip to Texas. The trip got cancelled due to DW's health. I did install it and test it out on a couple very short trips. I was very impressed. It tells 4 functions at a time. I mainly got it to watch transmission temps.because I was going to tow for the first time. It does a great job of that. I think I have it set to gas mileage, trans temp, miles traveled, and something else that I can't think of right now (lol). I would recommend it as money well spent. Easy to install and not too bad to program following the instructions.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
I use an Edge Insight CTS (color touch screen). I think it might be a bit more expensive that the SG, but it is very easy to program, accepts an egt sensor, and a back up camera. Very happy with it. FWIW.

I have a Bully Dog GT. It can read and clear trouble codes. They make one for diesel, too. Similar features to the Edge, but does not accept back up camera. Has stock, economy, power, or towing tunes. I got it to correct for new differential gear ratio and larger tires, but the other features have been great. It can display up to 4 monitors at once with programmable alarms for temperatures. Trans temp selection also shows when torque converter is locked.
I wish the display was larger (easier to read), but overall I am very happy with it.
If I did not need to correct for the new gears and tires, I would probably use the Torque app on a smartphone.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
gatorcq wrote:
The Ultraguage does not work with a Diesel not does thee other version discussed (APP).

So the Scanguage D, works with the diesel. I mainly used it for the digital info on water temp.

The mileage works along with the trip function. However you will need to calibrate the tank along with the gallons used. The fuel mileage signal comes from the ECU, but will not be really accurate. This is due to there is no fuel flowmeter inline. So this is a assumption based on fuel flow calculations from the cntroller.

However that being said, if you work with it the milage can get close, for total and daily mileage good.

The latest version has a problem when in the A/B trip, when you hit the 3700 miles (total) it will start counting backwards. Scan Guage is working on this.

If the engine OBDII compatible it will. Ultra gauge " It is imperative that the fuel calibration procedure be performed for all diesel vehicles."

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
mojo41 wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with the Scan Gauge.I've been looking at them for awhile now at the auto parts stores.Camping world now has them on sale for $147.00.What feelings are out their.

Thanks
Larry

Have one love it. Then tried an Ultra Gauge, much much better.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
alkillion wrote:
Have used them for about 4 years now. Love the flexibility. Started using them when I lost a fanbelt and the idiot light didnt tell me I was overheating.
You can gang them together to display more info. I've had 3 in one car.
I tried ganging two together. Had nothing but problems. Some fields would display, others would not. No rhyme or reason. Ended going back to a single unit.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
The Ultraguage does not work with a Diesel not does thee other version discussed (APP).

So the Scanguage D, works with the diesel. I mainly used it for the digital info on water temp.

The mileage works along with the trip function. However you will need to calibrate the tank along with the gallons used. The fuel mileage signal comes from the ECU, but will not be really accurate. This is due to there is no fuel flowmeter inline. So this is a assumption based on fuel flow calculations from the cntroller.

However that being said, if you work with it the milage can get close, for total and daily mileage good.

The latest version has a problem when in the A/B trip, when you hit the 3700 miles (total) it will start counting backwards. Scan Guage is working on this.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Kemahsabe wrote:
Another option is to use an OBDII Bluetooth adapter ($17) to send the data to your smartphone or tablet. Use the Android app 'Torque' to display the data. You could use your computer instead of phone if you want.

X2 !

Much better than a scan gauge. If you don't want to tie up your phone, you can buy someone else's used android on Craigslist for about $40 or so.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

alkillion
Explorer
Explorer
Have used them for about 4 years now. Love the flexibility. Started using them when I lost a fanbelt and the idiot light didnt tell me I was overheating.
You can gang them together to display more info. I've had 3 in one car.
May the Forza be with us!
2014 Winnebago Forza 34T
340 hp Cummins
Allison 6 speed
2006 Jeep Wrangler toad