cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sewer outlet facing wrong direction on new RV

dbontherun
Explorer
Explorer
After receiving delivery of our new 2014 Storm 32V, we encountered a problem with the sewer outlet. The factory installed the sewer outlet facing the wrong way so that you can't hook up the sewer hose to it. Was supposed to leave on a trip and had to cancel because of the problem. Took the unit back to the dealer to get the problem fixed, should have it back in a few days. I'm not a happy camper today. When we got to the dealer to drop off the unit I went and checked the other Storm 32v the had on the lot and the sewer outlet was wrong on that one too. I guess there is no quality control at Fleetwood, hard to believe it was done on another unit. Hope I don't have anymore issues. How do you attach pictures?

DB
56 REPLIES 56

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I would use a little caution in trying to just rotate the sewer connection. Not all of the fittings have an o ring to allow changing the angle of the connection. A lot of the connectors for the valves and waste dumps, are glued to the fittings/pipes, with a o ring at the gap. I have seen the bolt flange with the o ring seal, that allows adjustment also.
Wildmanbaker

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
X3

wny_pat wrote:
I'd love to see pics of this! Still trying to figure out what the wrong way is??
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
3sacrwd wrote:
I didnt realize that they move....I lived a year in my RV and had to leave my storage door open as it was pointed towards the door, and to hook up my hose meant I couldnt shut my door. I do have a port in the bottom which a hose fits through. I will have to try to move it next time I pick it up. What holds the pipes together if you can move it up and down? Wouldnt it leak?

O-ring compression joints allow movement and still seal.

3sacrwd
Explorer
Explorer
I didnt realize that they move....I lived a year in my RV and had to leave my storage door open as it was pointed towards the door, and to hook up my hose meant I couldnt shut my door. I do have a port in the bottom which a hose fits through. I will have to try to move it next time I pick it up. What holds the pipes together if you can move it up and down? Wouldnt it leak?
1997 Forest River Reflection 38' DP

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Poor QC! I wouldn't want to wrench on a brand new coach that just came from the factory!

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
My Winnebago vista turns down 90 degrees for hose through port for permanent campsite hookup or up for ease in dumping at dump station. It was very stiff when new. I hesitate to move it at first as I was afraid of breaking it.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is the type of "Y" fitting that I have on my coach. The outlet that is facing up in the picture can be rotated to any position without loosening anything. On mine, the outlet faces down and the handles faces out to the side. If it has not been rotated in awhile, it may be tight.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
In what way is it wrong? There are USUALLY many right ways of doing things and some work better than others. I have stayed at RV parks where sewer was behind the RV, beside it and in front of it so any direction it pointed would not be correct for that situation. Now if it's wrong by not being room to connect due to other parts on the RV, you have an excellent point.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are picture posting instructions in Forum tech support, aka Forum Help and Support.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
Bob & Ann wrote:
Are you sure that it does not swivel. They are making quite a few now that you can rotate to the position you need. Push it down to run the hose through the floor for campground hookup or twist it up for dump stations. Tiffin has started to install the rotating connection in the 2014 models

Our 2010 Tiffin RED has a rotating sewer connection. I believe this has been standard for years.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
dbontherun wrote:
Would love to post pictures, just don't know how to post them. they said that they would have to cut the assembly out and rebuild another one. I tried to tell them that all they had to do was removed the bolts, spread it apart and turn the outlet so that is was inline with the opening for the hose to come up through. Then just reassemble it. I took it there for a 15 minute job and now they need it for a few days. Had to get someone to bring my wife and I home. It should be ready no later than Wednesday. I really wonder if they know what they are doing.

DB

dbontherun,
Well Sir, sorry about your dilemma on the "Wrong way" dump shoot. I know and realize that when you buy something new, and as expensive as a motor home, and that you have warranty with it, it would be nice to get good dealer service and get a problem fixed swiftly and efficiently. As you're finding out, it just don't work that way much of the time. Some folks get lucky and a problem like that is fixed rather quickly and, they're on there way to fun times. Others get multiple versions of a "Run-a-round".

I'm sure you'll get it fixed. Now, as for your posting pictures. There are multiple ways to do it. The way I've been doing it for decades is by using an on line cache for photos called "Photo bucket". If you look it up on line, you'll find their home site. From there, you follow the simple instructions for downloading the free version of it.

Just like this forum and others, you'll need a user name and password. Once that's all done, you'll see how to upload pictures to that site. They are now stored, in your own, online site. Now, when it comes to posting them on here or any other forum or private message, here's the simple way:
1. Either create your thread, or, answer one that you want to add pictures to.
2. While in that thread, simply open another browser (internet connection) and, bring up Photo bucket.
3. Sign in.
4. Locate the pictures you want to post on your existing thread
5. With your mouse, hover over one of them.
6. A drop down menu will appear.
7. Select "Get links"
8. Another screen will appear with different choices,
9. Click on the last one that's needed for forums.
10. It may "auto copy" or, it may not, in any case, right click on that one.
11. Copy it.
12. Go back to your thread/answer you're wanting to post pictures on,
13. Move the curser to the bottom of your paragraph.
14. Right click there. Select "Paste".

Now, if you want to post more, simply go back to the photobucket site and do the process again. Once you get used to it, you can post a pic in a matter of seconds, using this system. As stated, you can use alternate methods. This one works for me. Good luck.
Scott

Easy for you to say !!!
:h

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
In thinking about this problem. I think I would have gone ahead and used the RV for a few days and then take it to the dealer to fix after the tanks were full. ...but that wouldn't have been the dealers problem, just the "tech" who had to deal with it.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
dbontherun wrote:
Would love to post pictures, just don't know how to post them. they said that they would have to cut the assembly out and rebuild another one. I tried to tell them that all they had to do was removed the bolts, spread it apart and turn the outlet so that is was inline with the opening for the hose to come up through. Then just reassemble it. I took it there for a 15 minute job and now they need it for a few days. Had to get someone to bring my wife and I home. It should be ready no later than Wednesday. I really wonder if they know what they are doing.

DB

dbontherun,
Well Sir, sorry about your dilemma on the "Wrong way" dump shoot. I know and realize that when you buy something new, and as expensive as a motor home, and that you have warranty with it, it would be nice to get good dealer service and get a problem fixed swiftly and efficiently. As you're finding out, it just don't work that way much of the time. Some folks get lucky and a problem like that is fixed rather quickly and, they're on there way to fun times. Others get multiple versions of a "Run-a-round".

I'm sure you'll get it fixed. Now, as for your posting pictures. There are multiple ways to do it. The way I've been doing it for decades is by using an on line cache for photos called "Photo bucket". If you look it up on line, you'll find their home site. From there, you follow the simple instructions for downloading the free version of it.

Just like this forum and others, you'll need a user name and password. Once that's all done, you'll see how to upload pictures to that site. They are now stored, in your own, online site. Now, when it comes to posting them on here or any other forum or private message, here's the simple way:
1. Either create your thread, or, answer one that you want to add pictures to.
2. While in that thread, simply open another browser (internet connection) and, bring up Photo bucket.
3. Sign in.
4. Locate the pictures you want to post on your existing thread
5. With your mouse, hover over one of them.
6. A drop down menu will appear.
7. Select "Get links"
8. Another screen will appear with different choices,
9. Click on the last one that's needed for forums.
10. It may "auto copy" or, it may not, in any case, right click on that one.
11. Copy it.
12. Go back to your thread/answer you're wanting to post pictures on,
13. Move the curser to the bottom of your paragraph.
14. Right click there. Select "Paste".

Now, if you want to post more, simply go back to the photobucket site and do the process again. Once you get used to it, you can post a pic in a matter of seconds, using this system. As stated, you can use alternate methods. This one works for me. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
I would almost bet it is easily rotatable by hand, seems like the dealer isn't very knowledgeable if they think they have to cut it apart. Does Fleetwood have a customer service line?
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pics would be handy but I am guessing that just moving the outlet by hand will be doable.
Should it be that way....who cares as long as you can simply correct the mis-alignment.
If it's something that cannot be quickly corrected then you should return the unit to the dealer immediately so they can correct the error.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?