cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sewer smell in rv

putzinaround
Explorer
Explorer
We have been traveling south with our 40' Newmar Mt. Aire for 5 years. This is the first year we have experienced a sewer smell inside the RV when the air conditioners are on. First thing we check is the gas stove, but that isn't it. My husband usually connects the sewer hose, but closes the drain on the sewer and gray water and only dumps when needed. We have done this for years without a problem. We have dumped water down the stool and drains, but hasn't helped. Also, have added some liquid smell deterent, but it doesn't help. Any idea what is going on? When the air goes off, it's gone. Why now and not before?
Nancy & Mike
76' Winnebago Itasca - gasser (retired w/fond memories)
97' 40' Newmar MADP :B - major upgrade from 76'er.
Toad - Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
23 REPLIES 23

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
Our former Newmar motor home had a felt like material on the floor of the fresh water tank bay. Water would condense on the outside of the tank and wet the felt material causing mildew odor.
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy

Robt65
Explorer
Explorer
I also had a really putrid smell coming from mid coach and it turned out to be a house battery that had overheated a cell and I was sure it was a dead cat or varmint of some kind that crawled into the coach and died. Replaced House batteries and no more smell.

robt65

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
No P trap in my toilet and the pedal stuck in up position and I hooked up to the water at campsite and flood in Bathroom and living room and then out the stairs. SO NO Ptrap in my toilet that someone described as an overflow valve. NOT!!
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you have looked underneath and there are no drips revealing a leak. In my 2016 winnebago the washer was plumbed to black tank. The entry to tank was low-too low- and it would backup leaking a bit where the hose went into the drain. Once i figured out problem-smell-the fix was easy. Never do laundry without black tank valve open. A long shot but you might open areas where a tank or pipe could leak and let your nose guide you. For me small back flow just soaked. Took a major for me to discover and then a lot of gloves, paper towel and bleach. Traded for a DP.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Tinstar wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
Tinstar wrote:
Most RV toilets have a P trap in them

Huh? Every RV toilet I've ever seen drops straight into the poo lake. This is why there are flappers that seal after you flush and we use chemicals to reduce the smell. RV sinks and tub/showers have P-traps like homes. Home toilets have P-traps built in. RV toilets? Nope, no trap. At least they don't clog ๐Ÿ™‚

I've only had three different RV toilets and seen a few dozen. They all had a P trap. Granted, it's only a small plastic tube and is there as a safety overflow in case the toilet is slowly leaking water into the bowl. When it gets to the top, the water will overflow through the P trap instead of on your floor. If that plastic pipe gets dried up, the smell has a direct route to the inside of your RV. You might want to look at yours again. I believe you may find yours also has it.

What you're describing is not a P-trap. It sounds like an overflow of some type. A drain/waste trap is a slug of water sitting in a cupped section of pipe to stop the smell of sewer from getting into an area. RV toilets don't have them. Sinks and tub/showers do. For the purposes of this thread what you are talking about could be causing an odor but it's not a trap. RV toilets don't have traps.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Tinstar wrote:

Huh? Every RV toilet I've ever seen drops straight into the poo lake. This is why there are flappers that seal after you flush and we use chemicals to reduce the smell. RV sinks and tub/showers have P-traps like homes. Home toilets have P-traps built in. RV toilets? Nope, no trap. At least they don't clog ๐Ÿ™‚

I've only had three different RV toilets and seen a few dozen. They all had a P trap. Granted, it's only a small plastic tube and is there as a safety overflow in case the toilet is slowly leaking water into the bowl. When it gets to the top, the water will overflow through the P trap instead of on your floor. If that plastic pipe gets dried up, the smell has a direct route to the inside of your RV. You might want to look at yours again. I believe you may find yours also has it.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Trigger_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Did you find the problem?
2012 Discovery 40X 380hp ISC.
Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to take a look at the inside coils on the ac units. They do get wet and can grow all sorts of science experiments.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Tinstar wrote:

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
WE had same and I think it was the trap in kitchen sink was emptying while driving so now we travel with a cloth in the sink drain and it keeps any odors from escaping into rig. Also put a new vent topper on that spins with the wind but do not think that helped much. For us it was the GREY water and not the Black water even though it smells like Black water. Stinks!!
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most common causes of sewer smell leaks:

1. Bad Air admittance valve
2. No liquid in "P" traps, especially the 'forgotten' P trap for the washer/dryer.
3. Bad battery..in either starter or house battery bank. Use caution as outlined below.

Word of CAUTION.!!! Use gloves and safety goggles if checking your batteries. They can and do explode. Be very careful if one is hot or looks bulging....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
The AC doesn't put a vacuum in the coach, so I'm not sure that the AC on or off makes a difference. It's probably just moving the air around so you can smell it. Another check would be to close all the windows and doors and turn on a vent fan. This would put a vacuum on the coach and if an AAV or P trap is the problem it will be obvious.

Most RV toilets are a straight shot to the black tank. If your bowl seal is leaking (water doesn't remain in the bowl) then that's another source. Also, you need to let the flush handle snap closed (some types you can lift up for more water) in order to get a good seal. My DW has a thing about making noise in the bathroom and her gentile method of flushing usually results in no water in the bowl and a stink.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure it sewer smell? If you haven't put any chemical in your kitchen gray tank in a while you could be smelling decomposing food particles. This can happen over time if you regularly leave your gray tank open when on full hookups. Small particles build up in the tank and when you then close this tank when moving or boondocking these particles hydrate again and start stinking. Believe me it smells as bad or worse than a smelly black tank.

Been there and done that many years ago. Now I just keep my gray tanks closed all the time just like the black except when they are full and dumping them.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

putzinaround
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thanks everyone. We haven't tried any of these ideas. I'm hopeful one of them will work.
Nancy & Mike
76' Winnebago Itasca - gasser (retired w/fond memories)
97' 40' Newmar MADP :B - major upgrade from 76'er.
Toad - Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited