cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sewer Smell

Dogpa
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Mandalay 40B and have owned since 20,000 miles, has 34,000 now. It has always had a bit of a sewer smell when driving. I do not run with vents open, both tanks have been bleached but on recent trip I received smell through dash A/C, crazy right? I had in shop and they replaced the pop vent valves,(3), saying they were bad and that was the problem. Drove away 20 miles to next destination and same thing. Any suggestions? I did call the repair facility and they advised to clean tanks, which I had already done.
28 REPLIES 28

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
JC2 wrote:
RoadXYZ wrote:
parkdep wrote:
This is what I used, easy to install and took away sewer smell completely Sewer Vent

This is what we finally had installed on Monday - and wow it is a world of difference ! Smell is totally gone !

Thanx for the suggestion !

Me thinks you might have overpaid a little. This is what we have used with good results.
:Ehttp://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/cyclone-sewer-vent/31992

And Me Thinks that even $17 each is to much when plastic plumbing 'T's do the same job just as well for $3 each.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Dogpa
Explorer
Explorer
All great suggestions ans it seems there are as many liquids to out in tanks as there are owners. The diluted fabric softner worked quite well and was even touted but my MH dealer but the real fix was replaceing all of the pop vents, event he one for the washer, which we do not use, but keep the trap filled. Nice to not smell for a change. Thanks for all responses. Off to the road..

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
RoadXYZ wrote:
parkdep wrote:
This is what I used, easy to install and took away sewer smell completely Sewer Vent

This is what we finally had installed on Monday - and wow it is a world of difference ! Smell is totally gone !

Me thinks you might have overpaid a little. This is what we have used with good results.
:Ehttp://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/cyclone-sewer-vent/31992
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same thing happen to our Mandalay Presidio. If you have a washer, run it to fill the p trap. Be sure all other traps have water in them also.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I can suggest is to use the proper stuff in the black and grey tanks. All those soaps and detergents were not designed for those tanks, they are for washing dishes or clothes.

If you want to get rid of the smell, use enzyme called Happy Camper. Your tanks will always be clean, the sensors will not be giving you error readings. These enzymes break down all the solids and turn it back to liquid.

Another thing to do before any trip is to run some water on all the drains so that the traps have water in them.

I also agree with the top vent. Get the one that swivels around 360 degrees and sucks air out of the tanks on a venture effect.

Now as to the dash air throwing some smell??????????????
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
parkdep wrote:

Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

05Mandalay38b
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem, quit using chemicals in tank and started using Dawn dish washing detergent. Smell went away!

Bruce Walker
2005Mandalay 38B

Rustydog
Explorer
Explorer
You said DASH AC. Do you have a dash condensate line plugged up causing the water around the evaporator to get stagnant? May not be easy to get to but you need to clean the evaporator, likely leaves and other junk in there with the water mix it should smell very ripe. Use caution cleaning as it can be a source for legionnaires disease.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you use a fabric softener like Downy in your tanks, it will foul up any sensors you have in there. Not a good idea...use Calgon solution, baking soda and water, or a bottle of good old hydrogen peroxide, but not fabric softener....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Finally, check the "P" trap in the washer....if you haven't used the washer in awhile, the water evaporates and will allow a sewer smell back into the coach....Dennis
X-2, I've had more sewer like smells coming from the gray tank than the sewer. Poured a little deodorizer in the P-Traps in all 3 sinks and that took care of the problem for me.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Front Wheel bearing leaking a bit?

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a silly question, but do you have the plugs pushed into the sinks and tub? What some people think is sewer smell can also come from the grey tank. Some of that stuff really stinks too.

You can also drive with the bathroom vent open just a crack.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

Dogpa
Explorer
Explorer
Sewer smell had dissipated as coach was left in covered shop overnight with windows open and drove 10 miles and no smell. Did find a pop vent valve associated with washer so will replace that. All p traps are full. Used a recommended solution of fabric softner and bleach to put in tanks while driving to clean out. thsnk for all quick responses hope I can help the same in future.

Dogpa
Explorer
Explorer
I had all three pop vents replaced and they said it was the issue but it is still there. All p traps have been replaced so will try to get to washer one, but used it recently. Will also change roof vent.