cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smart Car, Towable ?

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a light car to tow 4 Down, any ideas !
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max
12 REPLIES 12

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the body panels are plastic and easily replaced. Had not heard about problems with the hood. I never open it as the engine is in the back and my two pups ride in the storage area behind the front seats. In many miles of towing under all conditions and speeds never had a problem with the hood but I will keep an eye on it. I do use a cover on some trips that covers from under front bumper to top of windshield and that probably protects the hood as well.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
In another forum recently there were two instances of the hood being torn off while towing. Also mentions of the hood being plastic???

ALL the body panels are plastic. As for the hood coming off - in our case it was a case of towing in a high cross-wind situation. When running at freeway speeds there is a low pressure area directly behind the motorhome. Then add in a serious cross-wind and the hood can get lifted up. I've replaced the hood latches twice, and now I just use bungee cords to secure the hood. It looks ugly, but it's a lot cheaper than buying new latches every year.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
In another forum recently there were two instances of the hood being torn off while towing. Also mentions of the hood being plastic???
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed a 2009 smart Car in nearly very State. Great fun and easy to tow.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Volkswagen Super Beetle, or Thing, or Karmann Ghia, on Manx VW kit car.
If you can find a good one.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Don't have the picture handy, but last year I snapped a Peterbuilt cab-over towing a big 5'ver with a Smart Car sideways on the back of the chassis between the cab and the 5th wheel. Drove it off on ramps, but had to winch it up. I'll post the pic when I find it.

You mean something like this one on our Volvo?

Looks like this ready to travel.

This is the '05 gray market smart we first loaded in '06. We carry a 2011 smart now.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy Sonic, sedan or hatchback.

2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have the picture handy, but last year I snapped a Peterbuilt cab-over towing a big 5'ver with a Smart Car sideways on the back of the chassis between the cab and the 5th wheel. Drove it off on ramps, but had to winch it up. I'll post the pic when I find it.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

travelzoo
Explorer
Explorer
The 2012 - 2014 Ford Focus can be towed 4 down with automatic trans. All Focus manual trans can be towed. The Focus is light weight, a fun car to drive and gets some of the best mileage of any of the small cars. We get 40+ out on the highway and 30 + short runs and around town driving. Since 2000 we have owned 3 that we towed, the latest is a 2014.

Ramen
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
Not exactly towing, but I saw this Smart Car/Motorhome combo a few years ago in Quartzsite, AZ

Is that a liftgate back there? Cool mod.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Not exactly towing, but I saw this Smart Car/Motorhome combo a few years ago in Quartzsite, AZ

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
mci7 wrote:
Looking for a light car to tow 4 Down, any ideas !
Dave M
Smart cars can be towed all 4 down! I've seen many of them being towed! Another small car that I see being towed all 4 down is the Honda Fit. My last tow vehicle was a Toyota Yaris being towed all 4 down, but it was a standard transmission. The DW didn't like driving a stick shift so I upgraded to a Honda CRV.