cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steering wheel not straight

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
On my new Ford motorhome the steering wheel is not straight when going straight down the road..The front end seems to be in alignment, no pulling or off tracking. Wondering if I could pull the steering wheel and just move it a little.
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad
28 REPLIES 28

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the folks suggesting a dealer fix if it's still in warranty. For those saying it's a tie rod adjustment, please crawl under an F53 chassis and count the adjustable ends. See just one? Yep, can't adjust the steering wheel centering there.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
T bone wrote:
On my new Ford motorhome the steering wheel is not straight when going straight down the road..The front end seems to be in alignment, no pulling or off tracking. Wondering if I could pull the steering wheel and just move it a little.

2017 Georgetown 329S.......NEW Motorhome

Was steering wheel like that (not straight when going straight down the road)when you got it from dealer?

Regardless.....take it back in and have DEALER get it corrected (so that later on THEY can't say.."Hey you caused this/that problem"
Besides that isn't the only thing that will need addressed.

But better sooner then later or you might hear "Did you hit a curb?"
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
If it is new, why not take in to a dealer and have them correct it? I would think that is a warranty issue?
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
As already noted, the correct fix is to adjust the tie rods, take up one, lengthen the other. There is absolutely no adjustment to the steering gearbox that will do this, and unless you have the proper skills and manuals, removing a steering wheel with an air bag is a dangerous procedure and is by no means the correct way to fix your problem. Even if you do not have a air bag in there, its a lot of work to do the job wrong, tie rods are easy in comparison. Any good alignment shop that can accommodate the MH can easily do this and set your toe in properly.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
So many misinformed posts.

Ford has only a single adjustment for setting the toe so it's likely the steering wheel will need to be re-centered after an alignment. Be sure to mark the original position before removing the steering wheel. There is no master spline so the wheel can be reinstalled in any position. You'll probably only need to move it 1 spline or possibly 2 at the most. The splines are on 4.5 degree centers so if your wheel is off less than that amount it will be off center slightly in the opposite direction when you reposition it..

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Your wheel is not straight because your alignment was done incorrectly. The wheel should have been centered when the vehicle was aligned. You don't pull the wheel to correct this. As for making your own adjustments, only if you really really know what you are doing. Way easy to screw it up.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Get the steering box centered, or you will hqve more travel on way than the other. If its new, have it set right under warranty.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Easier to get under the from end and adjust the tie rods a bit. Loosten one two turns and tighten the other two turns. See what it looks like and repeat as necesary. Pulling stearing wheels is not like in the old days. Its complicated, especially with air bags.

This is the answer. The adjustment on the steering box is for play and when and if you get the steering wheel off, it is spline and moving it one spline will more then likely make it off the other way.

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
If it's new I would take it to Ford and let them fix it under warranty.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, not much experience with Ford steering boxes.

Could someone explain how one would adjust the steering box to center the steering wheel.

Adjusting the drag link, tie rods, etc I understand, just not the steering box.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.I do not have a safe t steer yet.I will look at my hear box.
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Easier to get under the from end and adjust the tie rods a bit. Loosten one two turns and tighten the other two turns. See what it looks like and repeat as necesary. Pulling stearing wheels is not like in the old days. Its complicated, especially with air bags.

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a steering stabilizer a readjustment of that may be needed.
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
on some steering boxes there is a adjustment to solve the problem, not sure what you have, the Saganaw box has a nut you can adjust, as do some of the ford boxes, if its WAY off then you can just remove the wheel and relocate it