cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey - How Do You Store Your Class A?

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
Considering new home options and how to store our Class A. Currently it sits in the driveway, exposed. I don't like it but not willing to invest in a short term structure.

So what is the consensus? How do you store your Class A?

Full timer, park to park?
No shelter?
Park at storage facility exposed?
Park at storage facility under roof?
RV Garage?
Pole barn?
Sits in the driveway?

If you built an enclosed garage, what was the cost, how big, what materials and how long ago? or $/sq ft?

With enough responses I'll build a spreadsheet with percentages.

Thanks for your time,
- bob
83 REPLIES 83

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
Outside,on the driveway, with plywood under the tires. I leave it plugged in to a 20A circuit with a heater inside during the winter.
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

Explorer
Explorer
Before I bought the MH, I built a 24x40 shed on our 3 acre property. Then, I bought a MH. The shed saves the MH from lots of ultraviolet damage as well as lots of thermo cycles. Both age a MH rapidly. My 15 year old MH still looks good and is in great shape.

The OP said he was looking for a new house-------------try and find one that either has or has room to build an enclosed storage area for your MH. Your MH will be forever grateful.

Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

Mike_I
Explorer
Explorer
RV garage

goldenagecomics
Explorer
Explorer
In an indoor and heated storage facility.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Recently built a carport to match our log cabin to cover the MH and two cars. Keeps the sun off (mostly), rain off, hail off, tree limbs off. Not enclosed, but wanted that way so it would not look like a big warehouse next to the house.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Wheter its an A, B, C, TC, Fiver or TT we all have the same issues. This is my second TT and I was it with rv wash n wax before and after every trip. When storing, I wash it again and use an ADCO cover. The TT resides on the side of my garage. The only thing I do over the snowy winter is when we get really dumped on, I shovel off the roof. Its also plugged in all the time, using a charge wizard module, refrig off, rv anti freeze pumped in.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

infogeek
Explorer
Explorer
In my yard on a gravel pad.
Jon

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
smacdiesel wrote:
rolling_rhoda wrote:
We park in our unit of a "shop condo". It's 55'x50', 30 amp, with in floor heat. Most of the shop is for another use.

That sounds really cool, I wish they had more of those on the West Coast.

LOL! When you compare the temperatures between South Dakota and Southern California? We do not need heated floors here in southern California. Those states up north get pretty darn cold in the winter months. Friend of mine in Fargo ND told me that he saw temperatures with the chill factor of 60 below zero. That is cold!
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
rolling_rhoda wrote:
We park in our unit of a "shop condo". It's 55'x50', 30 amp, with in floor heat. Most of the shop is for another use.

That sounds really cool, I wish they had more of those on the West Coast.
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inside storage, on concrete, with 50 amp, constant monitoring, engine and geneey started every so often, washed , fueled, propane added, windshield washer when brought back, and out if necessary batteries checked ever two weeks. Tires everything maintained and minor repairs and some not so minor for extra, waxed extra.

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
I store mine in an indoor facility near my house, expensive but what the heck.
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we built a 55 foot long garage,with power, for our Winnebago Ultimate Freedom. Keep it plugged in and A/C running when we are at home.
Wish I had built it years ago. So much easier to load, unload, and do maintenance.
Total cost was less than 20K, including foundation.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
On a third driveway we had poured specifically for our Class C. When we got the 102" wide Class A, I had to prune 8" off the roof overhang of the garage to get it in.

The original owners we bought from had kept it outside all the 8 years they'd owned it. The only negative was that they'd kept the living room slide out much of the time, facing south. It was completely rotted out and resulted in us having to replace the overhead cabinets in the dining area, due to water ingress and the resulting mold.

Doing that replacement myself revealed the crappy workmanship of the manufacturer's personnel, particularly the electrical folks and those who installed the cabinets and it put me off buying anything from FR in the future. Not that that's likely, as we've had to give up the lifestyle due to the high costs of fuel and CGs.

When your hobbies start eating into your IRAs every month, it's time to quit!
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
We put it into a rv condo that we own.