cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TAIL DRAG SOLUTION? E-450

garymc74
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently purchased a Nexus Viper 29V C/B+ MH on an E-450 chassis. This 30' Mh has a 208" wheelbase with a pretty long overhang. This causes a lot of dragging and scraping of the rear hitch. I am looking for a air bag kit to stiffen up the ride but that would also allow me to raise the back of the MH (3"-4") for short periods of time to navigate dips, driveways, etc.

I have looked mainly at the Air Ride #5000 series with onboard compressor. In talking to Air Ride I was told that when my MH was sitting at normal ride height, inflating the Bags would not raised the rear of the MH. I have also talked to shops that install these things and they seem to think that it would. I am getting very confused.

I think I have seen some posts here that talks about this but I can't seem to find them. Does anyone have any info about this issue?
14 REPLIES 14

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find I can get about 2" from fully inflating the supplemental air springs, it helps some.

Adding rollers is problematic, they usually reduce clearance (else the accomplish nothing) so that you hit the frame more often, but you don't hear the scraping noise.

If you start towing anything, you are going to be hitting more often, at least from the extension of whatever you put in that hitch, and usually because you will need a significant drop at the receiver to get the hitch at the right height for a typical tow.

The real solution is to start learning how to adjust your approaches to dips and driveways so that you seldom drag. That's not easy.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jamesa403
Explorer
Explorer
I used to own a '84 class C Ford E350, 26' which had a bad overhang, and a lot of scraping. I added two rubber skid rollers to the back end of each side of the frame. They added about 5 inches to the bottom of the frame, but they kept the back of the RV from dragging. The only problem was that eventually, the rubber came off the wheels and then the wheels had to be replaced.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reminds me of my Tail Dragger project.

I have firestone bags, but as others have noted, they help level the rig when loaded, but tail-dragging is still common. Here's my latest solution when not towing:
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am monitoring this thread closely.
Our <24 footer on a 2007 E350 chassis has some rear end sag to it when loaded up with fresh water and all on trips. I had planned to eventually add those Firestone air bags to get a couple inches of extra lift.

Here during one trip is our typcial rear end sag, a bit lower than what I consider ideal.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I think you may not quite accomplish what you are looking for. They will only restore sag below normal loaded height, but won't add much beyond that. Some Cs definitely sit low in the back, but not all do, so you results may very. I can add about 2" clearance to the hitch of my van, but I have long-travel tapered airbags.

If you are willing to spend some big bucks, true air-ride allows for much more air-spring travel, plus a much smother ride. Normally they come with a "kneel" feature, but I suspect it shouldn't be hard hard to add a "climb" setting too.

http://www.stengelbros.net/ReycoGranning_c_33.html
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Would low profile skid wheels help? At the minimum, it will mitigate the scraping.

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is pretty low by design. I have had success just taking approaches at an angle. Now I only scrape when I forget.
2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent:(
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 31 Jayco will drag. We haven't done much but try to plan approaches and departures in a way that both sets of rear wheels don't hit a dip at the same time. A One-then-Other move helps a lot.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
dalmationlovers wrote:
Yea I don't think that will give you what you are looking for in lift. I have a 03 Chateau 26Q with a good overhang and when my bags are inflated to 60 or 70 pounds it doesn't lift it that much. From 0 to 70 is maybe and inch different. I would look at a different shock or adding springs. Not my area.

x2. I don't get anywhere near 3-4" of lift. My drivers side rear was riding about an inch and half lower than the passenger side and I need 90 lbs in the driver side bag to level

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
It solved my problem. Travel 55lbs when heading to a driveway or gas station I pump up to 90lbs raises about 3in.

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I don't think that will give you what you are looking for in lift. I have a 03 Chateau 26Q with a good overhang and when my bags are inflated to 60 or 70 pounds it doesn't lift it that much. From 0 to 70 is maybe and inch different. I would look at a different shock or adding springs. Not my area.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Firestone airbags on our 29' Outlook c-class. When aired up from 5psi to 75 psi only raises the rear of the MH about 1/2 inch. They do make a big difference in the handling of ours.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Firestone Air Bags.
Have them on our E-450.

Funny it did not come with them.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely say that air bags will lift the rear. I was perusing through a Ford forum where folks were specifically saying that they don't run any pressure in their helper bags because it lifts the rear 3-4 inches. They only put in pressure when they load up their 5th or camper.

I have thought about independent bags on the rear axle for leveling. Might be enough on its own, or maybe use small blocks only on the front and air lift the rear.

Jose