cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The new DP's may run on gasoline

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the new EPA rules, this may be a way for diesel truck engines to meet the new pollution and fuel economy requirements. If it works on the diesel truck engines, RV engines may soon follow, like they did with the DEF. The smell of diesel may soon be a thing of the past. Gasoline fueled diesel engines
32 REPLIES 32

Daboo
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting views.....
Served proudly 1957-1965..U.S. Air Force

Les_Balty
Explorer
Explorer
Those multi-fuel deuce-n-halfs in the Army would run on Avgas and cooking oil too. (We filtered the oil through a t-shirt) Just for training purposes though not on a regular basis
Les Balty

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
You can build an engine that runs on compressed air, hence no pollution. But you just kick the pollution can to another phase in the supply chain.

Nothing to replace diesel, in the near term, for energy density.

People are carbon emitters, O2 in CO2 out. The Greens want to regulate your carbon emissions, not theirs.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Well I made the mistake of putting half a tank of gas in my F350 diesel. Got back on I75 and the truck started running VERY rough. Got of onto secondary roads and drove about 100 miles home. Next morning went to my Ford dealer and they laughed and said welcome to the club. Seems lots of folks make this mistake. They drained the fuel tank and refilled with diesel and the truck ran like new. No damage. It ran rough and smelled really bad from the mixture.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I remember one time during the winter a long time ago, the diesel fuel delivery guy didn't mix in the additive that stops diesel fuel from freezing up when it's cold during the winter. Are shop mechanic added 1 gallon of gasoline per 50 gallons of diesel fuel and sent me on my way over the Cascade Mountains for the night and it worked my diesel fuel didn't freeze and my CAT motor ran fine!

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, the diesel engine replaced the gas engine in heavy duty trucks because it was more fuel efficient, more reliable and produced more power. Many, many years ago, I hauled coal from PA to NJ and NY, 55 to 60K GVW was the max load in those days. "Mountains" in NJ are nothing compared to those in the west and it was not uncommon for a driver to be walking alongside his gas engine truck or reading the newspaper as it struggled up the hill - Old NJ members may remember the Jugtown on old 22. A modern diesel truck will take that same "hill" with the same load without breaking a sweat.

Do not discount the political implications facing the diesel engine. There are some who are actively working to regulate this efficient, very clean burning, by comparison to older units, engine out of existence. Compliance costs were a prime factor in Caterpillar pulling out of the On Highway sector of the market.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
Addendum: there have been several sawmills up here in my neck of the woods that ran their diesel run mills on propane for years. There is no dryer fuel than propane. I could buy a propane conversion for my '94 Cummins PU if I thought there was going to be a fuel shortage and fill up at home.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech, I'm with you. We ran not only the deuce's but 5ton ammo trucks on anything that would flow out of a dispenser. 1965 in Germany some fuels were in short supply, but not for those trucks.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
There doesn't seem to be many Army Veterans from the 1960's on here.
In the early '60's, the Army got some new "deuce-and-a-halfs" that had a multi-fuel engine in them. IIRC, they were 6 cylinder engines made by REO, that would run on almost anything that would flow through a pipe and burn! Yep, #1 or #2 diesel, kerosene, JP-4, 80 octane mo-gas, AV-gas (other than 115/145, that stuff had too much lead in it), highly refined peanut oil, etc.
In fact, due to a lack of diesel fuel in the supply system, the one I drove had 80 octane Mo-Gas in the tank all the time. When we got to Vietnam, we had lots of diesel fuel.
So, can a diesel engine be run on gasoline, without damage? Based on my Army experience, I have to say "Absolutely YES!"
Of course, the engine has to be built to do that!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Koop
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
There are two ways that a diesel engine can be damaged by using gasoline.

The first is that "gasoline" has a completely different burn profile form diesel or any other fuel of that nature. The gasoline would be injected and start burning far sooner than a heavy fuel. This will cause extremely high cylinder pressures and higher temperatures.

The second is that the high pressure injection equipment that diesel engines use needs the fuel to lubricate and cool it. Typical gasoline type motorfuels do not do this well at all and the injection equipment will not last very long. This is less true today than it once was. The new low sulfur diesel fuels also lack the lubricity that was once available. That is why a lot of old truck were for sale "cheap" in the late 90's.

True. Run gasoline in your diesel and it will stop in short order. The repair bill will be costly. High cylinder pressure temperature and pressure is putting it mildly.
Matt
Mike
2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS
400HP Cummins ISL

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
So, diesel fuel and the engines of the like create zero green house gasses and yet the soot is deemed a possible carcinogen so there is the DPF/EGR combo which creates breathable air from my coaches exhaust pipe. Running it on gas seems a step backwards and now will have to run a catalytic converter to remove hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and nitrogen oxides that are created from gasoline.

This makes little sense.

dub
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
It will be interesting to see the results of a diesel engine operating on gas. I guess they will fire the injectors after TDC, to keep from melting the pistons.

I can tell you from a gas tanker drivers stand point, when a load of gas is dropped in the diesel fuel holding tank, the tanker trucks owners, will be replacing a few car & diesel truck engines before the station operator catches up with the mix up.
Was not me, but I know some drivers it happened to, those that always got the good loads & not the peeons like me that always got the crapie loads.
Neil

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Propaganda. Consider the source. They put that stuff out there and then use it to promote new fuel efficiency regulations. Make an optimistic claim and then in the same article promote regulation. Always got to take that kind of stuff with a grain of salt.
IRV2

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are two ways that a diesel engine can be damaged by using gasoline.

The first is that "gasoline" has a completely different burn profile form diesel or any other fuel of that nature. The gasoline would be injected and start burning far sooner than a heavy fuel. This will cause extremely high cylinder pressures and higher temperatures.

The second is that the high pressure injection equipment that diesel engines use needs the fuel to lubricate and cool it. Typical gasoline type motorfuels do not do this well at all and the injection equipment will not last very long. This is less true today than it once was. The new low sulfur diesel fuels also lack the lubricity that was once available. That is why a lot of old truck were for sale "cheap" in the late 90's.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the newer engines and electronic control modules, you probably would not get too far with some gasoline mixed with your diesel fuel. The engines all have a bunch of sensors that would indicate a problem and may just shut things down with an expensive repair bill to follow. Gas in diesel fuel