cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Theft: the bad, the bad, and the really bad

Mlewin51
Explorer
Explorer
So we are starting fulltime in June. Although I'm not overly paranoid I am cognizant of my surroundings. That being said going fulltime or anytime for that matter leaves "doors open" in and around the RV. What has been your experience whether with you or someone you know of things gone missing as in stolen? I'm running through possible items such as expensive surge protectors, bicycles, etc. along with coming up with my own list I'm starting to create plans to protect some stuff.

Cheers!
57 REPLIES 57

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
Going fulltime? Are you selling your house and all your stuff? If so that is when and where the thieves will show up!

I worry about my stuff being stolen from a hotel room and airport security, never from a campground.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Got hit once. about 30 years ago.. lost my breakfast even before I could eat it (They took the cooler) this was in a state park..

Have not had a problem since.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
Mlewin51 wrote:

I trust bikers over most others!

As a "retired" biker, I agree.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see experiences have been mixed. Though we haven't had anything stolen we know people who have. A laptop was stolen from the clubhouse where we stayed this past winter. A few years ago an expensive electrical wheelchair/cart was stolen at night from between two long term campers. It was large, something like those electric carts for the disabled stores have. That was such a shame as the person was quite handicapped and truly needed it.

Things we heard about are the usual ones such as generators, expensive coolers, the more costly lawn chairs, TVs left outside overnight etc. I didn't know the people personally.

We keep the cubbies locked and leave nothing of value out where anyone would be tempted.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bruce_Brown
The only thing we've ever had taken without our consent is when one guy seemed to think not only he but his friends should help themselves to the beer in our cooler. I'm all for sharing, and we did offer to share. Apparently his idea of "share" meant to all weekend with him and his friends too. It stopped as soon as he was caught with his hand in the cooler when we weren't even there.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
mowdoc wrote:
Never had anything taken anywhere so far - we do not lock anything either. Chairs and BBQ outside, doors unlocked and yard ornaments displayed.

Most of our longer trips are to biker rally's. The longest is Sturgis and we stay in an adult campground with 10,000 other campers. We take off on the bike for a full day of riding and I leave an adult movie playing on outside TV with note that says "close door if raining, beer in cooler and please walk the dog". It's pretty funny to return at end of ride and find a burley biker dude walking my Chihuahua!

I bet those "Adult Movies" draw a crowd. Most X rated do. :B

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We've been full-timing for 10 years, mostly in accredited RV parks. The only
time we have locked our storage units was if we were going to be gone from the
MH for a few days in the car. Also, we always shut our water off when being
gone.

Mlewin51
Explorer
Explorer
mowdoc wrote:
Never had anything taken anywhere so far - we do not lock anything either. Chairs and BBQ outside, doors unlocked and yard ornaments displayed.

Most of our longer trips are to biker rally's. The longest is Sturgis and we stay in an adult campground with 10,000 other campers. We take off on the bike for a full day of riding and I leave an adult movie playing on outside TV with note that says "close door if raining, beer in cooler and please walk the dog". It's pretty funny to return at end of ride and find a burley biker dude walking my Chihuahua!

I trust bikers over most others!

mowdoc
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Jayco Precept 35UN
named
"Free Range Chicken"

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Living and RVing in the middle of the country, I've never hsd anything stolen and I've had fellow campers and park rangers chase me to return what I've left ata campsite. But other parts of this country have different ethics.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I unlock the door on my MH when we get set up in the campground at Oshkosh and don't lock it til we leave for home 2 weeks later. We've been staying in the same campground, with the same neighbors for the past 15 years.

We set up our outdoor kitchen, leave the lawn chairs out, along with tool boxes, grills, etc. Never had Anything stolen. I think if someone came through, tried to swipe something, they'd be tackled before they got too far.

Sleepy Hollow Farm Campground during the EAA Convention is a pretty close knit "family". EAA, for the most part is a different mentality of people too. Heck, there's wallets full of money turned in to lost & found on a regular basis.

I don't really worry about stuff at Branson either.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

Klbc
Explorer
Explorer
One time, long ago, when we camped with a pop-up, our cooler was chained to the trailer. The thieves couldn't get the cooler easily so they just took the beer.

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
We are full time and have never had a problem. The post above that mentioned awareness is correct. If you pull in and see lots of crappy rigs, broken cars, junk, and other ****, either move on or keep it tight. We always lock the rigg and the toad. Bay doors, chairs etc depends on what the park is like.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
never had anything stolen. At night or when we leave we lock up the chairs, grills, etc.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi