Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

those damn scissor jacks

fizikpal
Explorer
Explorer
Well

I think I have tried everything but my scissor jacks still do not seem to move as easy as when they were new (last year).

My most recent try was pressure washing the threads to get off any gunk and then treating the whole system with Kroil (a penetrating oil). They are a bit easier but still require some effort.

Any suggestions?
The Lynch's
2002 Shasta Cheyenne 308
TOAD: 2003 Honda Civic
Sterling Tow Bar with Brake Buddy
9 REPLIES 9

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
If they're on a class c just take them off and junk them. One month later you won't see any difference.

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
DuPont makes 2 products that are very similar to each other and actually may be the same thing.
DuPont Teflon Chain Saver - dry self-cleaning lubricant (for bicycles)
Dupont Teflon Non-Stick - dry film lubricant.

I have used the Non-Stick for several years with success. Not sure I would use it inside of a lock; may tend to gum it up.

You may want to try one of these products after you thoroughly clean the threaded rod on you jacks.

Ray

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, it seems to me all jacks are getting harder to turn and the wheels are getting harder to lift into place. It couldn't be me getting old, could it?
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

USARMYCW
Explorer
Explorer
Funny this subject came up. Just this morning I had my SIL remove mine. I'm going to use some small bottle jacks instead.

Dufus
Explorer
Explorer
On some jacks the nut that the threaded rod goes through has to swivel to compensate for the changing angle. If it's bound in some way it will be harder to turn the rod.
Full timer
2013 Excel 36GKM Limited
1997 Freightliner FL50 CAT 3126 w/ Allison 6spd Auto
2007 Toyota Camry
2004 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan Trike

Captain_Obvious
Explorer
Explorer
I just sprayed mine with wd40 to clean up all the gunk and then wiped lithium grease on moving parts. Night and day difference in how easy it was to work the jacks.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our 5'er, I used a 18V cordless drill with socket adapter to raise/lower the scissor jacks on the rear. I set the clutch so the drill would not over tighten the jack.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

indyzmike
Explorer
Explorer
Once the threads are clean and dry, grease is the lube of choice. Penetrating oil does not lubricate as well in this situation. Make sure the thrust bearing is lubed too. It is on the screw by the end that is closest to you when cranking it. A bit of motor oil on the hinges will also help.
2004 Coachmen Freedom 285QB Class C

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Wire brush and clean with brake or carb cleaner, wire brush again and when fully clean spray some Slideout spray on them. Mine required an "ELL" shaped handle at the end so I brazed a little to an impact socket and used my electric impact wrench to operate. Impact was for loosening lug nuts etc. I used a 1/2 torque wrench to tighten.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)