cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire pressure monitoring systems

joema62
Explorer
Explorer
I have reviewed 4 different tire pressure monitoring systems for our Class A RV. These include Pressure Pro, Doran Tire Pressure, Tire Stat, and Tire Sentry. I am totally confused. Has anyone had experience with any of these or can you recommend one I haven't found. I would appreciate any feedback
33 REPLIES 33

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with the Cross Fire system is if you loose air on a dual, you don't know it until after all kinds of damage is done to the undercarrige of your RV from the shredded tire.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

erstanfo
Explorer
Explorer
I opted for dual dynamics Cross Fire valves on the rear dually on my class C. Solved filling the inner tire hassles and provides quick visual of problems. Need to purchase new ones for the diesel pusher.
Cross Fire Valves
Low cost, low tech solution, KISS principle
new link http://www.dualdynamics.com/dualcrossfire.html
Ed, Sharon & Doolin the standard poodle
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
MarcW wrote:
the silverback wrote:
Haveing read the above comments I will stay with my hand held tire pressure gauge. However, be sure to get a good one. Not a $9.99 special. I am luckly that I can have mine checked at least once a year at lab that is tracable to the national standards.

And when you run over something in the road that starts a leak down of one of your front tires, resulting in heat build-up, that in turn results in a sudden blow-out, that tire guage will be one of the items flying about as you leave the road. Be sure to grab it as it goes by because it's a good one.

And as you read the posts on this topic, there are people that say how their sensors have gone bad and their TPMS was junk. So if one of YOUR sensors goes bad on your front tire, and you go off of the road when the tire goes flat, be sure to send that sensor back and wait for a replacement. That is the problem with putting too much faith in an electronic gadget. They are operating in a harsh environment and they do occasionally fail.

I havent seen any evidence that a faulty sensor would cause the problem you stated. It may keep you from having the ability to monitor that specific tire but it wouldnt be a case of you thinking it is working when it isn't. If a sensor fails you will know immediately as it wont report back to the main unit. I have traveled many miles without a monitor mostly because they werent available years ago, but there is NO way I will ever be without mine. The damage that can and probably will occur if you have a flat on the trailer far exceeds the cost of having a TPMS. Do what you like, but for me there is just no good reason to be without. BTW the same goes for a good CO alarm.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've used Pressure Pro for 9 years on both the motorhome and Jeep. Absolutely no problems and no replacements. We also check our tires manually. We got the system after a blow out on the Jeep and we didn't feel a thing as we were pulling it. We couldn't see anything wrong in the rear monitor which we check constantly while driving. Our indication was the dreaded 'pointing' by a passing motorist. We pulled over and we were pulling that Jeep on a bare rim and had extensivly damage. Had we had monitors we would have known as soon as it happened.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
MarcW wrote:
the silverback wrote:
Haveing read the above comments I will stay with my hand held tire pressure gauge. However, be sure to get a good one. Not a $9.99 special. I am luckly that I can have mine checked at least once a year at lab that is tracable to the national standards.

And when you run over something in the road that starts a leak down of one of your front tires, resulting in heat build-up, that in turn results in a sudden blow-out, that tire guage will be one of the items flying about as you leave the road. Be sure to grab it as it goes by because it's a good one.

And as you read the posts on this topic, there are people that say how their sensors have gone bad and their TPMS was junk. So if one of YOUR sensors goes bad on your front tire, and you go off of the road when the tire goes flat, be sure to send that sensor back and wait for a replacement. That is the problem with putting too much faith in an electronic gadget. They are operating in a harsh environment and they do occasionally fail.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
MarcW wrote:
the silverback wrote:

LOL Yep a lot of thruth there. When I see people post about just using a tire gauge, I know that they never had a problem, but if and when they do, they will come into the fold. I know I will never travel without having one again.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Don_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the Doran for 4 years and it has preformed flawless. Excellent systen, looks great and nice people. Been doing this for a long time on trucks. The rest of them look like kids toys. Doran is also better built with metal seals on the sensors that prevent leaks.

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
The problem is after having a system is if one doesn't work as ours did on the battery problem you miss the knowledge of what that tire is doing . Knowledge makes for a better towing day.
chevman

I'm leaning toward the tst system. It has pass-thru sensors so you can still check or add air which seems like a nice feature. Double checking would be great to guarantee everything is working properly.
2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent:(
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is after having a system is if one doesn't work as ours did on the battery problem you miss the knowledge of what that tire is doing . Knowledge makes for a better towing day.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
BigSkyBob wrote:
I'll say the worst system out there is better than none.

I say this all the time, Any system and I like TST but any system that works will eventually save you the possibility of more cost than the system did. The system checks your tires 24/7 and you don't have to.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
I've used my Pressure Pro system w/10 senders for over 6 years with only minor issues. They have replaced one sender free of charge so I was pleased with that. I'll say the worst system out there is better than none.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

MarcW
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback wrote:

2007 Monaco Dynasty Emperor IV
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
My PressurePro has been faithfully reporting on the condition of my tires since 2006 without one problem.

I'm expecting the batteries will have to be changed soon, but so far the originals are still OK.

I've been saved several times by this wonderful system through the years.

I depend on it every time I shove off for a trip.

deluco
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback wrote:

I know people who say they can tell when a rear wheel blows out, however, I was in a 40-foot RV when an inside rear tire blew out and the TPMS alert was the only indication that the blow out occurred. There was no noise or "feel" relating to the blow out. Presumably this could have lead to the outside rear on the same side also blowing out....or maybe he would have felt it in another bit of time...I didn't feel it and I was in the passenger seat.
Jim DeLuco
Hudson, Ma.
jim@delucophoto.com
www.delucophoto.com

2010 Damon Daybreak Class A