Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Replacement on Class A Goodyear or Michelin

new_class_a
Explorer
Explorer
Tire replacement on Class A Goodyear or Michelin

I'm told its time to replace the tires on my 2007 38 ft Fleetwood Expedition even though there is only 18000 miles on the Goodyear G670 RV 225/70R22.5 on the rig. I have several questions I am considering changing to Michelin Tires since the out the door price for all 6 is $1000 cheaper than the Goodyear along with the fact a few of my friends say the ride on the Michelins is much smoother. Is the Michelin tire as reliable as the goodyear and will it work on my rig.I have read a couple of other forums where there was concern for the early year Michelins but found nothing very current. I am going to be heading to Yellowstone in June and do not want to take a chance on the old tires for the 40000 mile trip. Thanks for any help.
57 REPLIES 57

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I run Goodyear G670s on the drive axle and the tag. The steer tires are Michelin...satisfied with both....If the Michelins are cheaper by 1k...I would buy them in a heartbeat....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had Goodyear tires. Nothing but problems. 2 blow outs, rivering on the front tires. Never again. It was a BADyear
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
peaches&cream wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I'm buying 6 new Michelins for my RV in May, and I'm going to use the FMCA Michelin Advantage plan. Did you know that the Space Shuttles (all of them) used Michelin Tires when they were in service! Good Luck with your new tires.

Maybe the reason the "Space Shuttle" is no longer flying. COST TOO MUCH :h
I don't understand the negative Michelin Space Shuttle jab? Anything that went on those shuttles were awarded to the LOWEST bidder! Ask anyone that worked for NASA! Michelin actually took a loss selling to NASA, but gained a lot of experience and knowledge for Michelins Research & Development Department on heavy aircraft tires.

Did not mean for it to be negative. Just ask the question about price. Since they are the highest price RV tire you can purchase, just assumed they were the highest price "Space Shuttle" tire. I guess if all the manufactures that provide parts for the shuttle, lost money on there parts, it may still be flying? HUH

CG_Dawson
Explorer
Explorer
Check the date codes on your tires, even following a number of people's retoric they are probably not 7 years old yet. If they are not cracked you may have another couple of years left on them yet.

I replaced my Goodyears last year (2012) at nine years, with Michelins simply because they were less expensive than GY. The ones I took off looked new, inside and out.
Happy RV'ing!!

Greg & Jackie
2003 Bounder, 32W / Ford V10 / 2 Slides
Toad: 2004 Saturn L300, Brake Buddy

glen68
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced my goodyear G670's with michelin xrv's purchased thru fmca. There is a very big improvement in the ride.

Glen
2015 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2011 Honda CRV

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I'm buying 6 new Michelins for my RV in May, and I'm going to use the FMCA Michelin Advantage plan. Did you know that the Space Shuttles (all of them) used Michelin Tires when they were in service! Good Luck with your new tires.

I don't understand the negative Michelin Space Shuttle jab? Anything that went on those shuttles were awarded to the LOWEST bidder! Ask anyone that worked for NASA! Michelin actually took a loss selling to NASA, but gained a lot of experience and knowledge for Michelins Research & Development Department on heavy aircraft tires.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Michelins...replaced them all before our Alaskan trip in '09. Got them in Oregon at Les Schwaab - no sales tax. We noticed a big difference in the ride with the XRV's.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
If the tires do not have any cracks of dry rot, then I would not change the tires. But if the side walls are starting to crack with depth on the cracks, it is time. I prefer Toyo tires over GY or Michelins, but that is just me.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Hankook
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

desobelman
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin! if you are an FMCA member, and you should be, you can take advantage of the FMCA/Michelin Tire Program. Check it out at www.fmca.com. Info is right on the Home page!

Happy Trails! :W

Darryl
Darryl & Carole
2005 Sea Breeze LX 8375 37' w/3 slides
"The Grand Hotel West"
2008 Saturn VUE, Towed
GS-25512187 FMCA-355241 Dolphin-1901

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was a loyal Michelin customer since 1964, but after their lack of support of the sorry early XRV's I'll be hard pressed to buy another Michelin. Fortunately there are plenty of other choices for radial tires unlike in the 60s.
OP, another happy Hankook customer and I'm running Firestone 315's on my front.
OP, how many of the 18K miles have you put on the GY's?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin is the only brand of tires I buy since 1968. For all vehicles.

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced the 4 rear G670s on my 2008 Expedition after 32,000 miles. Front tires were also Goodyear G670 and had rivering on them so I had to replace them last year. 275/70R 22.5 Firestone for $378 each plus installation and tax. Total bill for 4 tires was $1,856.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
wny_pat wrote:
Many are going with Hankook, Toyo, Bridgestone, Sumotomo, and even Firestone.

Yep, Hankook should not be overlooked. Plenty of satisfied MH owners with few (if any) negatives.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad