cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires off ground when leveled?

margappy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, am working on a 2003 Newmar for a friend. When using the automatic hydraulic levelers, is it ok for several of the tires to be off the ground several inches? The levelers are on blocks of wood, and the tires are braced. thanks in advance.
23 REPLIES 23

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Lobstah wrote:
wildmanbaker wrote:
Executive wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
During the Workhorse/Bosch brake recall, I got a call to come and pick up my Winnebago from the Workhorse Service Shop. When I walked into the service area, I couldn't believe what I was seeing there was 8 coaches in there and they were all off the ground via there own self levelers (all the wheels on each coach)! They seemed not care about having all the wheels off the ground, sure looked unsafe too me!

They weren't THEIR coaches...:E:E....Dennis

No.... They just don't pay any attention to "INTERNET myths", like most of the people on this forum. That and they probably know how each leveling system operates, and look them over before trusting them to support the weight.

Agreed.

Oh... you bad boys are just gonna make me bite on this, aren't you?

a 33,000 pound box on sticks ain't "rolling" anywhere...

That only happens in the movies, like when Robin Williams high centers the Turd on Diablo Pass.

While I've seen some motorhome jacks I wouldn't trust to hold up a popup, the 3" powergear cylinders under my Knight are rated at 20k each...
I don't like lifting tires, but I don't fear it either...
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first step of the leveling process in my coach is to let all of the air out of the air bag suspension. Even if my tires stay on the ground there is no spring pressure on them, just the weight of the tires and axles. I don't see that picking them up too makes any real difference other than the visual appearance.

From what I have heard it is much better on the tires to unload them when in storage so it seems that I am accomplishing two things at once by leveling the coach.

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
Executive wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
During the Workhorse/Bosch brake recall, I got a call to come and pick up my Winnebago from the Workhorse Service Shop. When I walked into the service area, I couldn't believe what I was seeing there was 8 coaches in there and they were all off the ground via there own self levelers (all the wheels on each coach)! They seemed not care about having all the wheels off the ground, sure looked unsafe too me!

No.... They just don't pay any attention to "INTERNET myths", like most of the people on this forum. That and they probably know how each leveling system operates, and look them over before trusting them to support the weight.

Agreed.
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer 😞
3 Maine Coon cats

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:

Wildmanbaker

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
J-Rooster wrote:

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer

margappy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone who answered this for me! I assure you no one will be under this beast, and we are being very cautious with the hydraulics. At this point, I'd be tickled to death to find ONE system other than the levelers that worked properly! Having issues with old and gunky gas, recalled dometic fridge, water leaks, mold, mice ,snakes, and all the other fun things. None of which are real surprises I guess after years of neglect. BUT the TAPE deck works! yea! so, Again, thank you all!

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Maybe your rig is an exception, but it's my understanding that most levelers/stabilizers aren't designed to support the kind of loads put on them if lifting the rig clear of the ground....nor are those points on the rigframe where the levelers are attached typically designed/ equipped to bear such loads.

I seriously doubt this. If a manufacturer put a jack system on a coach that couldn't support the full weight, think of the liability. If you raised your coach just a little too high and a jack failed, they'd be liable?

My W22 Pace has 4 7.5klb jacks. That's a total of 30Klbs. Coach weighs 22Klbs. And as stated above, the way they are mounted is more substantial than the way the suspension is mounted.

Agree with concerns about the hydraulic lines, IF it's hydraulic. Spring a leak, you've got an issue.

Agree also that OP said nothing about getting under the coach.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer 😞
3 Maine Coon cats

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
VinCee wrote:
OnaQuest, I believe that when any vehicle sits on a grassy type surface over a number of years it will be much more susceptible to rust and rot than a vehicle being used. The ground moisture will be in constant contact with the rig whereas when used moving air will have a drying effect over the entire vehicle.

I understood that the coach had recently been moved. We have no knowledge of how or where it had been stored.

By the way, the op said NOTHING about getting under the coach. They simply asked if their use of the levelers constituted a problem while they cleaned and inspected the MH.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would be more concerned with the condition of the hydraulic lines than I would any rust. Those puppies have been exposed without use for 6+ years. IMHO, it's a recipe for disaster. I've experienced a failure and the coach dropped like a rock off a cliff. The coach is on soft soil, on an angle...:S...Do so at your own peril. I would NOT, but then I err on the side of safety....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
OnaQuest, I believe that when any vehicle sits on a grassy type surface over a number of years it will be much more susceptible to rust and rot than a vehicle being used. The ground moisture will be in constant contact with the rig whereas when used moving air will have a drying effect over the entire vehicle.

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Maybe your rig is an exception, but it's my understanding that most levelers/stabilizers aren't designed to support the kind of loads put on them if lifting the rig clear of the ground....nor are those points on the rigframe where the levelers are attached typically designed/ equipped to bear such loads.

My coach once sat for a month with all four wheels off the ground (supported only by the levelers) at a Bounder repair facility with NO problem. The mounting area, of each jack to the frame, actually is much larger than the area attaching the spring shackles. The spring suspension seems to have no problem supporting the coach,

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
weathershak wrote:
Careful. If those jacks have not been used in 6 or more years. Check the mounting area for rust etc or major rust on the jacks. Would hate to see one give out and fail with someone underneath.

Why would a jack mounting plate rust MORE in six years of sitting than being driven in the elements for six years?

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien