cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Awn or Not to Awn?

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer
Buying our first RV. A mechanical awning can be added for $1300 + 12% BC Tax. Our unit is relatively small so we think it would be a good idea but for $1300 we feel its too much of a luxury at this point, early days etc. Do people use their awnings that much? Is there a place in the North West where we could fit one cheaper?

Thanks

Pommy
37 REPLIES 37

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. I wasnt expecting 2+pages of responses.

It is an ex rental and that is why there is no awning. After I expressed some disinterest at $1300 the sales guy came back at $1100 but for an 11foot awning fitted plus 12% bc taxes. Everything seems cheaper in the states and since our plan is to go to Washington/Oregon next week we might get one fitted there instead, on the the "grass is greener, or at least less expensive on the other side of the border" principle.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I have only used my RV a few times and each trip included awning use. I say buy one aftermarket. Depending on size, they run from about $500 on up.

Jose

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My awning has been out once when I did the walkthrough if you don't count the time it started to unroll while driving down the expressway. I don't sit outside in CGs so I have no need for one, but it came with the unit. And mine is secured with tie wraps thru the rain gutter to keep it from unrolling on its own. Whoever gets it after I'm done, will get a C that's x years old with a brand new awning. 🙂
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I didn't know they made them without awnings anymore, haven't seen one, in like.... forever. I agree with wildwest, Wouldn't be without one.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Frosty_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
we've been parked since the 1st/may in the treasure valley of Idaho. the awning has proven invaluable--reducing heat gain on the sun side of the rv and reducing the a/c load. greatly improves the comfort level inside and out. only caveat: if you will be leaving the unit for an extended period of hours and are located in an area of spontaneous winds, make sure you retract before leaving the unit. one evening as I was leaving for a meeting, I looked at the awning and wondered if I should retract. thinking my DH would be there in case the wind came up, I left. yes, it surprised DH and before he could get it down, the top got ripped. he has since completed a repair which looks good and should hold (hopefully) for some time, but we were quoted $200 for new and $200+ for labor to replace. high tension makes the awning dangerous and the rv service said it takes 2-3 guys to install. assume that's a decent price, but don't know if we are comparing apples to apples.
wee3-gin, clyde & the bichon frise
2002 Forest River Windsong-34' Class A
Workhorse 8.1 W22 with Allison Tranny

1996 Geo Tracker-4WD--"Trudy"
2003 Minnie Winnie 30V - "The Frosty Hauler" (Class C)
May the Angels guide your wheels and ride on your shoulder.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
$1300 sounds reasonable but check around first. We just paid $730 to replace awning fabric alone. Old 18 foot awning caught air, inflated, unrolled and got ripped away before we could stop in a strong headwind at highway speed. We had a $50 awning lock device installed along with the new fabric to prevent such problems in the future. Our old awning was sun-damaged anyway after 8 years of Socal sun, parked in the driveway. Wouldn't feel like camping without an awning. The awning designs where everthing folds into a weather proof aluminum box are nice but expensive.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP didn't say the awning they were getting for the $1300.

Currently popular are the motorized push-button retractable type. It has vertical tracks on the outside of the rig for the scissors to travel and store in.

The previous popular type was the box awning where all poles store up top with the canopy inside an enclosure. When stored there is nothing to see but a box across the top.

Prior to that was the type that has poles against the walls all the time. When stored, the rolled up awning is partially exposed to the elements.

I would think there is a wide price range pending which type they are buying.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
When you say mechanical, do you mean a motorized one?

We almost always use our awning except if its a one night trip. I do pull ours in at night. I've been woken up too many times wondering if it was going to be ripped away even when it was tied down. Pulling it in, I get a better nights sleep not worrying about it.

Our TT had a manual awning on it. Our mh has a motorized one. I love the motorized one.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
I use mine relatively often...usually for rain. In fact it gets used more than my AC. Some folks never use theirs and some RVs have them as options for that very reason. Who wants to pay for an awning if you know you won't use it? I know of at least one person that removed theirs.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
wildwest450 wrote:
I wouldn't have an tt without an awning, how are you going to drink beer in the shade?

Best answer yet. :C

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Sort of off topic but might help you...Last RV came with "Carefree of Colorado" awning. What a piece of junk. Already falling apart after 4 years, not the fabric but cheap alum that is to thin. When deployied it is held together at top of slide arm with a piece of metal just a little bit bigger than a paper clip. Other Rv's had awning that was manufactured by A&E and did not have the problems that this new one does.
So if you do get one compare them side by side out of box and not the display model.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Since central Texas can get high winds, tearing an awning completely off in seconds, my awning hasn't seen a grand opening since the PDI of my rig.

wildwest450
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't have an tt without an awning, how are you going to drink beer in the shade?

And after just spending 4 days camping in nonstop rain, an awning is even more awesome, can you imagine camping without being able to sit outside?

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Living in BC, an awning is an intersting add-on. The wind is always your enemy, but the advantages out-weigh that. If you are camped anywhere in the sun..I don't know where you are in BC..that awning makes the whole thing a pleasure. It keeps the heat off that side of the RV, thus cooling the inside, plus you can put the chairs under it and voila..more 'living' space. Even if it's raining, that under awning space is a big deal.

Bottom line..yeah, the awning is a good investment. Ensure you take a photo of it on the unit, if you go that route. Insurance will cover a roadside loss but it'snice to be able to prove you had it.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
You said your unit is relatively small. Will you be pulling along a toad or using RV to get around while on trips? Reason I ask is we used the awning on our 5'er almost every trip - even if just to hold the string of lights my wife liked. With the MH, we don't have a toad so we use it to do any running around in. That has significantly reduced how much we use the awning. And, we never use the stringed lights because of hassle to remove if we need to take MH out. I've thought about one of the EZ Up type shelters to use instead and would leave it up if we had to drive MH somewhere. But, that would be something else to find storage spot for. So, we just open awning when needed for shade or rain protection but mostly leave it in.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M