Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toad Recommendations Appreciated

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
RE: 2000 Winnebago Minnie Winnie DL

Looking for a toad for Winnie...am thinking something around the year 2000...don't need a lot of bells and whistles with the toad...just solid mechanical...what vehicles around that year have long lives...assuming proper care by their owner(s).

All input appreciated.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
20 REPLIES 20

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
Equinox AWD or older Nissan Xterra come to mind.
Its not the Destination or the Journey.
Its the Excursion

taigarazz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi-
Like the OP, I too am looking for a toad. The thing is, our toad will be our only car. So I'm looking for a 4 door vehicle with a bit of cargo room, and the capability of towing a smaller boat, maybe 2,000 lbs. My RV is a 2005 Aspect, rated for 5,000 lbs. Any other suggestions for a toad that can do it all?
Linda

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I read the OP's post. Here is what I did anyways.

I just purchased a 2012 Hyundai Accent SE 5-door hatchback with a manual transmission for a toad. There are no restrictions for towing four down, mileage does not accumulate while towing, it weighs less than 2500 lbs., and you can load its 47.5 cu. ft. cargo area with the rear seats down with over 1000 lbs. of stuff. Yakima makes a tower that fits integrally with the roof rails to take my existing bars and RocketBox and future 15' Wenonah Heron Kevlar canoe. A Yakima KingJoe 2 accommodates our bicycles off of the hatch. I'm taking it to Blue Ox in October for their fit program where they will fabricate and install baseplates for free. They also provide an Aventa LX towbar free and 25% off the wiring and any other Blue Ox items purchased. I will be getting the Blue Ox AutoStop Universal surge brake as well.

The 2000-2002 Hyundai Accent with the manual transmission (<2300 lbs.) is four down towable. Should be able to find one for around $3,500 to $5,000. Baseplates for them go back all the way to 1996.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Gee whiz, did anyone read the OP? 🙂

He wants something around model year 2000.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

ANewTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Can a Jeep Grand Cherokee be pulled four wheels down? 4x4 with "Selectrack" This is a 2wd 4wd auto manual Neutral positions on transfer case.

I know it's heavy but can it be pulled - I have a 7500lb tow system with brake assist. ???

Liltippy
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a good used Chevrolet HHR. Easy to setup and tow with lots of room. To tow all you do is remove 1 fuse, put in neutral and away you go. No shifting drill prior to towing and no limit to time. As always, 55 to 60 MPH while towing any toad.

The car you tow will always show wear and stone chips, so look for used.

My $.02
2011 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2007 HHR Toad with ReadyBrute Elite towbar and brake

derh2o
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Ford Focus
Dean & Melinda
2011 29' Monaco Montclaire
2012 Ford Focus Toad

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
smart car, automated manual, 4 down
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
PT Cruiser manual 4 down

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
jeep liberty

DUNEBUGGYDOUG
Explorer
Explorer
CRV

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Again if manual OK, Ford Focus. Light weight, tows 4 wheels down.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Looney2nz
Explorer
Explorer
1997 GEO Tracker 4 W/D 60,000 miles and half of those were 4 wheel down. Great little unit.:D Dont even know it's back there. I tow it with a 2001 Jayco Eagle 28' V10. Good luck:)

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Any year Honda Civic 5 Speed Standard Transmission, 4 down, tow bar available from Roadmaster. To date we have towed a 1990 Accord, a 2001 Civic and we are now on a 2007 Civic. In all cases the Honda Manual reads not to tow 4 down ("because we want to sell you a CRV instead.") 🙂