cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

toilet seal leaking

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
need help toilet seal leaking , think someone said to use petroleum jelly on it , did search did not find anything
15 REPLIES 15

Mutinyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Get yourself a toilet brush and give it a good cleaning...if that fails then I would just replace it.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
dalenoel wrote:
We used Toilet Seal Treatment on ours and it has been working for a couple years now. Before it would drain down in an hour or so..

X2 this is excellent stuff. I've also heard very hot water.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
After cleaning, you could pour some ATV in there. It's thicker than water and just sits there, and causes the seal to swell. Eventually, you'll have to replace the seal but with my old Thetford, I got an additional 8 years out of the toilet seal.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

bitster98
Explorer
Explorer
Not a tough job at all. Toilet splits in half , remove plastic cover/ spray everything with Clorox cleanup or equal disinfectant. Then remove the top half take outside & clean it. Replace seal / make sure the bevel on the seal is down. When I did mine I did not replace the seals on rhe water inlet on the top behind the rim. I just put silicone on the inlet / was a weekend job wanted it back in action ASAP. Please use bleach !! Even if your wearing gloves / remember what goes on in that dept. seal kit $30 - new toilet $ 280.

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
never had a problem till I stared using this last summer..

THET TOILET SEAL LUBRICANT & CONDITIONER

thanks for all the info.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
I used Plumber's Grease on ours...fixed it.

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
When my toilet seal begins to leak a little I spray some Aerospace 303 on it and work the ball a few times and it's good for a couple months.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

jamesroadking
Explorer
Explorer
Just change it out, you'll end up having to eventually anyway, and it's really not that difficult, no special tools required, about a 45 minute job. Just get the brand and model number of your toilet, buy a replacement at Camping World, some latex gloves, turn off the water supply and take it apart.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually, if you just re-form it, it will continue to seal. They make a tools for it, but I've used a butter knife that I put a curve in the end and an old toothbrush. Get the tool between the ball and the gasket and work it back into shape.

Also, make sure the ball snaps shut. This helps seal the ball.

If you take the bowl apart as Donn suggests, just replace it. In fact, the big lesson I learned from last winter's road trip was that once the toilet starts screwing up, it's best to replace the whole thing. I ended up doing that over period of six months, one part at a time.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used Toilet Seal Treatment on ours and it has been working for a couple years now. Before it would drain down in an hour or so..
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Most toilet manufacturers say to never use petroleum grease. It will break down the seal. Instead use plumbers grease or silicone grease. We have used a product called SuperLube in the motorhome and on our boat for decades. ChuckChuck

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard pouring boiled water in the toilet will swell the rubber and give it a new life.

May be worth a try !
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
he flush ball seal

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If its the flush ball seal, you can try taking it apart, clean it throroughly and liberally apply plumbers grease. If that does not cure the problem, then plan on replacing it. Not hard to do.