cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing 2013 Honda CR-v

aboeck3
Explorer
Explorer
When towing a 2013 CR-V do I need to disconnect the battery? My last car had a charge line installed to keep the battery charged, but I forgot to tell them to do it this time. On the list to do when I get home in the spring unless Camping World can do it.
Al & Jane - RETIRED
(Nico, Smudge & Boo - Cocker Spaniels)
2017 Winnebago Journey 42E with 2013 Honda CR-V toad & 2 bicycles (just in case)
Dreams Do Come True
27 REPLIES 27

philandterri
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2014 CRV without Navigation. We plug our Brake Buddy into the power outlet, do not pull fuse and have not had a problem after 7 days towing, about 300 miles per day.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
We put 47K tow miles on a 2013 CRV., with a Ready brake tow bar and the fuse bypass switch. In three years of hard use, I killed the battery once, by towing it for a full ten hour day, without flipping the fuse bypass switch. And once by parking on a very steep slope, facing downhill, and forgetting that the brake lights on the Honda were on, because the ready brake was still pulling the pedal down. I swapped the '13 for a very low mileage '14 recently. I eliminated the hard wired tailights, and switched to wireless, magnetic LED unitson the "new" car. That has eliminated the biggest PITA of all, which was continual issues with the toad lighting, usually caused by the cheap, Chinese piece of trash six pin receptacle mounted on the car.

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
Run the charge line. If you have someone do it probably charge one hour labor. RV should have 12v hot line in connector hot when ignition on. pick up correct pin on umbilical connector go to matching pin on car connector and run #10 or 12 wire to battery positive terminal and install in line auto fuse. done.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

johnf
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 crv honda says no to use 12 volt power outlets for aux. Brake system I run a cigarette lighter hot from the batt. To run the aux. Braking system no problems
john

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 with regular radio/CD combo (no navigation). We run a RVi aux brake. I turn off the radio but don't pull fuse. The battery has never died, but we run the motor every 8 hours per the manual.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2013 CR-V with added accessory switch and no OEM guidance system. Use a Brake Buddy with NO battery problems. Car starts at the end of every day.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I added a charge line for the battery after arriving a Yosemite National Park with a dead battery. Install it once and forget it. There are several brands. Here's a link for one.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Not a Yurt! wrote:
You'll need a bright flash light, a magnifying glass, tweezers, three arms and a double jointed back, neck and left shoulder to get the fuse in and out.

So true! That's part of the reason I opted for a 2nd battery! (Having the spare battery also comes in handy when I need to jump start my various yard equipment toys after we have been out on the road for a couple of weeks.)

I started scratching my head when you started talking about the battery situation. Then, I realized, you have a gas motorhome.

Having a diesel, my air brakes on the coach activate the brakes on the Honda with the SMI Air Force One supplemental braking system. The 'emergency brake-away' is connected to the battery which will virtually never be needed (fingers crossed).

The factory battery on our Honda and the previous Honda worked fine. They lasted the normal period that a factory battery usually lasts (about 3 yrs.).

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Not_a_Yurt_
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need a bright flash light, a magnifying glass, tweezers, three arms and a double jointed back, neck and left shoulder to get the fuse in and out.

So true! That's part of the reason I opted for a 2nd battery! (Having the spare battery also comes in handy when I need to jump start my various yard equipment toys after we have been out on the road for a couple of weeks.)
Chris and Diana
Two cats
1998 Pace Arrow
2008 Honda CRV

Not_a_Yurt_
Explorer
Explorer
First off, I have to assume that you are running a supplemental brake system that uses the CRV's battery for activation. If so, this will deplete the CRV's OEM battery fairly quickly, and you can't disconnect it if you want your braking system to work.

My overkill solution to the dead battery problem was to buy a deep cycle battery which I use to power up my Even Brake toad braking system. I back feed the deep cycle battery into the CRV electrical system. I have a battery cutoff switch on the CRV starting battery which I disconnect when the deep cycle "braking battery" is hooked up. The radio codes and clock stay powered up and the toad can be pulled along for hours without worrying that it won't start. After we hit the campground, we just crank down the battery cutoff, powering the CRV with the starting battery, unhook the deep cycle braking battery, and off we go.

I have a smart battery charger that I hook up when we're plugged in at a campsite to recharge the braking battery. I realize this is not as easy a solution as having a 12 volt feed from the RV to the toad, but this solution was our answer when we had a dead battery out on the road (in Nowhere USA) with no easy option to wire a 12 volt feed from the RV to the toad.

So, the upshot is, you have to power your toad braking system. You need a source of power that will still allow you to start your toad at the end of your trip. Some folks stop and start up the toad every 2 to 3 hours to charge up the battery and this works. But if you plan on longer jumps between rest stops or campsites you will need to find a way to power your braking system that doesn't deplete your toad's starting battery. A 12 volt feed from some source to the toad (from the RV or a 2nd battery) will allow you to disconnect the toad battery. Lacking that, you have to keep the toad battery connected. I do not recommend towing without a powered supplemental brake in your CRV! Good luck with finding what works best for you.
Chris and Diana
Two cats
1998 Pace Arrow
2008 Honda CRV

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 that we just finished towing on a 9 week, 7000 mile trip. I installed the kill switch that kills the radio and did the upgrade to a larger battery. The upgrade requires buying the Honda Oddesy battery box ($13.00) and going with a Group 27 battery. The battery in the 2013 CRV looks like something that belongs in a motorcycle.

With the above mods, the Honda worked flawlessly for the entire trip with a couple of 450 mile days and no batteyr issues.

I also bought a non chipped key from Honda, which performs all the functions needed for towing, but won'yt start the vehicle.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
What will kill the battery in a CRV is if you have the in dash NAV system which will be active with the key in to unlock the steering wheel. You can shut the radio off but not the NAV.

Page 334 and 335 of your owners manual provides detains regarding which fuse to pull. You'll need a bright flash light, a magnifying glass, tweezers, three arms and a double jointed back, neck and left shoulder to get the fuse in and out.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking Journey by the way!

We had a cut-off switch installed to cut off a fuse that controls the radio/navigation. I forgot to flip the switch once and the battery did go down. Otherwise, it works perfectly.

The installer put the switch behind a cover to the left of the steering column, looks almost factory.

With the key in the accessory position, I think the radio is active even if you don't have nav.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins