Explorer
Explorer
How do these tires compare to each other? Thanks
Brian
23 REPLIES 23

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Both brands have received excellent reviews. I have Hankooks on our coach and love them. I would have no concerns about buying Toyos either. My advice would be to take the better deal between the two.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
Being OEM doesn't mean a thing. Most, if not all OEM tires are selected because of price. Have had Toyo's and Hankooks not a lick of difference.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Bigdog wrote:
moisheh wrote:
Hankook are OEM on both Navistar and Freightliner trucks. That should tell you what you need to know.

Moisheh

Nah,just look at Ford and the Firestone debacle. The Manufacturers use the cheapest tires they can get. That may not be true about the truck chasis manf,but could be.
Believe me, having founded and operated a transportation company, purchased new units and understand the mechanics of the industry, they do NOT use the cheapest tires they can get. The liability associated with commercial vehicles far outweigh any minute saving they would see by going with the cheapest. Hankook actually has a better reputation in the industry, than a couple of the so called and higher priced "name brands"......

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Hankook are OEM on both Navistar and Freightliner trucks. That should tell you what you need to know.

Moisheh

Nah,just look at Ford and the Firestone debacle. The Manufacturers use the cheapest tires they can get. That may not be true about the truck chasis manf,but could be.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Never had Hankook so I can not rate them, but I had Michelins XRV, then Toyo's and for me Toyo's are excellent tires rated H, very smooth ride and wearing even. Cost was average among tires that size, but their warranty is great.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer

Moisheh

FuzzyKnight
Explorer
Explorer
We run Hankooks. Took off Michlins. Works good for me and a heck of a lot cheeper!!
Fuzzy and Mary
1994 Pace Arrow 33
1928 Model A
1953 Ford Club Coupe
1963 1/2 Falcon Ranchero Original factory V8 4 spd
1963 Fairlane SportsCoupe
1965 Honda SuperHawk

beave
Explorer
Explorer
We had TOYO 255/70/22.5 tires on our rig. 50,000 miles, 10 years of use and the tread looks like new. they did have some very fine crazing on the sidewalls which you can expect after that amount of use.

The TOYO's also ran smooth and quiet.

Buy me a set of Hankook's and I'll give them a 10 year test as well.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have Toyo tires are are happy with them. We purchased them because of their reputation and use in the trucking industry. Have had them 2 years with no problems.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
How do these tires compare to each other? Thanks
Brian

The ones with the best price are the best tires.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had Toyos that ran for 10 years until they were replaced by Hankooks. Both are great tires IMHO and you won't go wrong with either choice....might as well just shop price and not worry about it.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

randco
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
Sully2 wrote:
Toyo is better.
Can you explain how they are better? Is it Warranty? Is it thread compound? Is it thread design?, Is it the number of ply? Is it because they are cheaper? Just is because they are Japanese instead of Korean? Just how are they better??? Please qualify your statement!

Actually, the Toyo's on my coach were manufactured in the USA. I replaced six side wall cracked Michelin's two years ago. We have put 16,000 miles on them. I am very pleased with the ride. I would buy them again.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
The only set of Toyos I ever ran we're the open country on my suburban. They were a******tire to say the least. Never again.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very satisified with the Hankook tires I put on our Southwind. I'll buy them again.