cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with Dogs

Ms_Vagabond
Explorer
Explorer
Had truck and 5th wheel previously. Am interested in going to a Class C, and I am wondering what people do with their dog(s) while driving. I have two Golden Retrievers. There isn't room for 2 large crates, so how do I keep them in one spot? Thanks!
Ms. Vagabond
2004 3500 Dodge Ram
2006 Excel RSE33
Golden Retriever Buddies
26 REPLIES 26

Heish
Explorer
Explorer
2 Chinese Cresteds and a NC Porch Sittin' Dog. Travel under my feet most of the time. When kicked out they rotate between the chair, dinette and back bed.

Gunner45
Explorer
Explorer
We put our Samoyed in the crate in the walk way and our German Shepherd Dog sits on the couch in her seatbelt.

2dogtravellin
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with 2 75 pound collies. One sleeps in the back by the bathroom, the other sleeps just behind the passenger seat, on the floor.. Like someone else mentioned, we have a baby gate to prevent the dogs from helping us drive.

The only time they move around is when one of them gets up to get some water. We always have a water dish in the bathroom.

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small dog (13 lb. Coton de Tulear). He rides in his crate on the passenger seat...and the crate is buckled in. If a dog isn't secured, he could become a dangerous flying object...hurt him and/or humans! I stop often and walk him on leash and give him plenty of water. He and I are very happy with this arrangement. I have a 24' Born Free Class C.

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a big collie and full size poodle. When traveling, poodle lays on the sofa the other lays on the carpet, both as close to their mommy as possible.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

Larry_Sanders
Explorer
Explorer
I travel occasionally with my 200lb English Mastiff.
I usually have the Biggest Dog with the smallest RV in the park.
Larry & Jamie Sanders
2008 Born Free
27 RSB

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Used to have 4 50 and 65 pound mutts in our expansive 22', but now 3. They settle where they like on the sofa, the dinette w/ table down as daybed, and under the passenger's feet (a bit uneasy w/ noises in rig).

The big 65 lb comes to lean on passenger's lap and look out for a few minutes, then returns to dinette/bed or lays between the two cab seats on the floor (a popular spot w/ two of our departed doggies) - he moves a bit, settles for awhile, and repeat.

We don't do crates as so many do, but the fact that a dog can be content in a small box helps you to see that they do not need a big RV. Even if you had one, you know where the'll be most of the time as you trip on them.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

ppdunn
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with four dogs...2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, one Beagle mix, one Chihuahua. All are small enough for travel kennels. All of them except the Chihuahua ride in the kennels, while the Chihuahua rides in the front passenger seat with a harness. While we are camping, I keep the kennels in the overhead bunk.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Secure heavy items that may hit or fall on dogs in a panic stop. We don't tether our dogs with seat belt devices. Dogs should be on a leash when at rest stops, etc. Don't let them roam where there may be snakes,etc.

jeff92804
Explorer
Explorer
We put an 18 x 18 ottoman between seats in the cab. Our buddy sleeps on that when bored, moved to passenger seat and couch depending on were passengers are sitting. Ottoman doubles as storage for small cooler, snacks and magazines.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Our dogs have always travelled with us. Of the last two, they wanted to sit in my lap while I drive or crawl up between my feet. Fortunately our dogs have always been little fellows so I hope yours don't insist on sitting in your lap. I think you'll find they ride very nicely in your coach; probably enjoy looking out the windows or dozing on the sofa or bed.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Ours only move when I stop in rest area or for gas.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Ours doesn't move around much at all. During 2 hrs of driving she might move from sofa to chair once. On boring interstates, she mostly naps. In areas with traffic, people, etc. she will sit up and watch out window.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Ms_Vagabond
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the suggestions. It is sounding like most of you have your dogs free in the unit while driving. Do they walk around a lot while you are moving? What happens if you have to stop suddenly? I am so used to having them in crates in my van as I drive and I was just wondering what it would be like in the Class C. I was thinking perhaps a harness.
Ms. Vagabond
2004 3500 Dodge Ram
2006 Excel RSE33
Golden Retriever Buddies