cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triton V-10

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2009 Coachmen Concord 27TS Class C. This unit has a Ford Diesel. The power and performance of this unit is great. I am looking at new Class A with the Triton V-10 and was hoping someone has some knowledge on the performance of the Class A up to 36ft. with this engine. I hate to lose the diesel power but I need more room.
19 REPLIES 19

reboo349
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 38ft. with the 22000lb. chassis and V10 motor, very satisfied with performance, coming from a 05 version of the V10 big difference in performance, 7+ miles per gal @ cruise set on 60

dezolen
Explorer
Explorer
5 trouble free years out of my Ford F250 V10. Nothing but oil changes. That's why I bought our V10 gas powered class A

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
Just make sure its the post 2006 V10 with the 362 HP & 5 speed trann, 6-7 MPG. I've had an older V10 with the 305 HP & 4 speed tranny. AWFUL! The V10 with 305 HP & newer 5 speed Tranny in a small Class'C' is great, 10 mpg.
X-2 the 1999 V-10 Triton were know to blow out spark plugs! I know I owned one! the newer V-10 don't do that!

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone that has responded. I have made up my mind due to all the good replies to my post. I am going to buy my first Class A . I am convinced I will get good service out of the V-10. Thanks everyone and happy travels.

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2009 weighing in at about 21,000 fully loaded plus a tow at 4400. Mileage at 60-52mph runs generally in the low 6's. That is over 35,000 miles. I log EVERY tank in a spreadsheet so this mileage is 'real' not a meter or the occasional check. I did add the 5-star tune and I suggest that to anyone. Engine is noisy when pulling a steep grade and definitely above 65mph. No power issues even on very steep hills across WV.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

opnyn8d
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 39'11" class A with the 6.8 engine, with Banks. Performs great for us. Gets near 8 mpg, if I drive carefully. As others have noted, it is a high-revving engine that loves to roar along at 4-5000 RPM on hills, but will pull all day. I usually have to back off to avoid running up on trucks on hills. Sure, a diesel will be quieter and last longer, but also cost a great deal more to purchase and maintain. Due to the higher weight of diesel MHs the mpg isn't that much different. And longevity is only important if you plan to put 100k miles or more on it. and even then I know folks with pickups with the 6.8 with over 100k and still going strong. BTW, are you sure about your class C HP? Most diesel C's have under 200 HP and run 15-17000 pounds.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 32H, modified
Honda CRV toad
Ready Brute towbar

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
My last coach was over 36 feel long and 22,000 lbs loaded with 4000 lbs towed. 3 valve V-10 five speed and it had all the power my new coach has. I never had an issue with hills or mountains. Mileage might be an issue but power won't if it later that 2006.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I had a V-10 Ford engine on a 2002 36' motor home which weighed 19K lbs. I can not remember the horse power, but it was a very good engine. I got 9 mpg on that motor home. I am not sure of the new Ford V-10 engines, but I am kind of surprised that some like them better even though they are getting less miles per gallon and that is because they have raised the horse power on the same block that used to be in the low 300 plus horse power to a max 300 plus engine.

That engine from Ford is bullet proof.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer

The pickups and vans the came with the V10 weighed that much.
just what kind of a MH are getting?

Also recall the the F-series and E-series get different versions of the V-10

The F-series gets the 3-valve (with more HP) and the E-series gets the 2-valve. The head is too large on the 3-valve to fit in the E-series

But, ya, my F350 dual weighs more the 7000 lbs
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
We have a v10 powered coach bought new in Jan 2000. It's 37'8" long with tag axle and fully loaded with 2 persons weighs in at 21,230lbs.

Now with 91k miles it's been virtually trouble free. I did have the Banks system installed along with the 5 Star Tune.

To improve ride comfort installed Koni FSD shocks on the front suspension along with Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on all 4 corners.

Over the years, fuel mileage has averaged 7 mpg. Based on the experience with our's I can highly recommend a Ford v10 powered coach.

Good luck with your choice & travel safe.......
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Gooding. R wrote:
Not sure of the weight but it has 325 HP. Guessing the weight around 7,000lb.

The pickups and vans the came with the V10 weighed that much.
just what kind of a MH are getting?
Wildmanbaker

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of the weight but it has 325 HP. Guessing the weight around 7,000lb.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
What was the HP rating of your diesel engine and how much did the MH weigh? What is the HP and weight of the new one? If the HP to weight ratio is similar you may not see much difference in performance.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Should do the job but just remember it is a small block and want to rev. You will pull hills at 4-5000 rpm but it will do that all day.